OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:01 am 
King of Men

Bosc wrote:
1. You're supposed to keep control of your stick. Calvert was waving that thing around after he was bumped like he was drowning. I wouldn't be too pleased getting hit with that on the bench.

Don't wave your fucking stick around by the bench, Calvert.

Ironically that's what I told my wife as well. I said look at him bitch slap the entire wings bench with his stick! By the time it made it to Bertuzzi and his buddy they had had enough!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:15 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Decent win against the flagging Florida Panthers in Sunrise, 5-2. Mikko gets another goal to raise his league-leading points total.

Avs had a slow start to this one so Bednar switched up the lines and took Rants off the top unit and J.T. Compher on with Landeskog and MacKinnon. He made a fantastic deflection past Luongo off a shot by Landy that ended up being the game-winning goal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:52 pm 

Well...shit.

In addition to getting absolutely demolished by the Bolts the other night, the Avalanche have learned that rookie Vladislav Kamenev, who missed almost all of last season due to a broken arm, is now out indefinitely following shoulder surgery for an injury suffered during that game. Kam was one of the other players gotten in the Duchene blockbuster and was really starting to come into his own. Damn.

I'm guessing they'll use Sheldon Dries as the next call-up but I think they really need to give A.J. Greer a shot at SOME point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:37 pm 

Well, like any man who dons tighty-whiteys knows, sometimes skids are eventual.

Avs are officially in a big slump. 18 goals given up in the last three games. The most obvious culprit has been goaltending, which hasn't been nearly good enough, but it's not like the team is playing good defense in front of them. They've looked particularly bad in their own end, especially on the penalty kill.

I personally think Nikita Zadorov is playing his way off this team. I think it might be a mistake not to retain him, but I just get the feeling he's not a favorite of the coach or the organization. If he even thinks about demanding a big raise after this season, he's a goner, if not by the deadline. He's one of those guys who looks dominant one game and completely lost on another. Still, something to be said about the guy who can lay the big hit or score the big goal. He can turn the tide of a game on his own despite not being an elite player.

Anyway, they're still in pretty good shape, still in contention for the division lead, and have one of the best road marks in the league, and that was definitely not the case last year. All the more strange that they've been somewhat mediocre at home at 6-6. The good news is that they've played a vast majority of their games away from Denver, with some big homestands coming up. But they gotta get that PK fixed.

I'm getting some shit on HF for it but I'm already saying that Tyson Jost will not meet expectations and will eventually be shipped out. I just don't see enough there, even at 20, to think he'll ever develop into the two-way impact player the Avs were hoping he'd be. No offense to the guy, I just don't think he's a future star.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:35 pm 

It should be noted that Mikko Rantanen still managed a goal and three assists (four points) in the loss.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:40 pm 

Conor Timmins sighting!!!!!

https://twitter.com/ryan_s_clark/status ... 3882326016

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:33 am 

Avs have to be the very worst team in 3-on-3 OT since the new rule was instituted. Just ridiculous how horrid they've been after regulation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:19 pm 

Avs get a MUCH-needed win on the 2nd of a back-to-back by beating the Dallas Stars 6-4. By no means a pretty victory either, they managed to blow a lead that was as much as 3-0 at one point and later, 4-2. Varlamov had yet another terrible game, but this time the Avalanche managed enough offense to offset his shakiness.

The goaltending controversy we all saw coming has officially arrived, but unfortunately neither guy is playing particularly well right now. Varly has let in some real weak ones, but I dare say Grubauer has been even worse lately. Jussi Parkkila has his work cut out for him.

The top line continues to dominate...which is good because without them this is a lottery-caliber team. Not sure if they're gearing up for a run this year but I have a feeling Sakic is going to make a move at or before the deadline to shore up scoring depth.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:54 am 

4-1 loss to the Islanders at home. Avs are in trouble. Their shoddy PK gave up two to one of the league's worst power plays, and Varlamov with yet another subpar showing.

Not great memories of Chris's favorite team. Even though they split the season series last year, the one thing I associate quite clearly with the Isles was the infamous "Duchene just got traded" game when he promptly walked straight to the locker room and packed his bags in medias res. They got Barzal'd in that game, tonight it was a mix of Eberle, Boychuk, and Lee (with a Voltron empty netter for good measure).

Rantanen's latest point streak ends at 14.

Coaching staff needs to do something, and NOW.

Remarkable how Trotz has completely transformed that team. They were open for business defensively last season. Now? They blocked so many shots that Greiss really didn't have to work terribly hard. He reportedly only stopped six more than the rest of his team.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:51 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Man, I'd forgotten about Duchene getting traded mid-game. Now I can see it all happening... So weird. I don't see how the players were supposed to function normally when that happened.

Last night's game looked like the Isles were playing a bit above their ability and the Avs a bit below theirs.

Let me ask your thoughts on the two separate calls vs Ho-Sang on its own, then combine with the none-call when Cizikas got hooked/held in front of the Av's net. Cizikas then gave a frustration slash that wasn't called either, so I'm not being a homer. I just think the officiating was terrible all game, and quite frankly, think Ho-Sang in particular got really screwed there. Rookie? Because of his big mouth? Wore #66 earlier in career? (Last one's a joke)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:15 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Man, I'd forgotten about Duchene getting traded mid-game. Now I can see it all happening... So weird. I don't see how the players were supposed to function normally when that happened.

Last night's game looked like the Isles were playing a bit above their ability and the Avs a bit below theirs.

Let me ask your thoughts on the two separate calls vs Ho-Sang on its own, then combine with the none-call when Cizikas got hooked/held in front of the Av's net. Cizikas then gave a frustration slash that wasn't called either, so I'm not being a homer. I just think the officiating was terrible all game, and quite frankly, think Ho-Sang in particular got really screwed there. Rookie? Because of his big mouth? Wore #66 earlier in career? (Last one's a joke)

Oh man, Garik the Stats Guy lost his damned mind over those two calls on JHS there on Twitter. And Trotz was having none of it because he done got his ass benched for a good long time after that (in favor of guys like Komarov which actually helped the Avs). On the replay he clearly did it, but...they were pretty soft. Much more blatant stuff went uncalled.

And then there was a blatant takedown/slew foot on J.T. Compher during that they just didn't feel like calling. NHL officiating is getting almost as bad as NFL officiating, though they have a ways to go before they hit THAT nadir.

Avs came in with one of the best offenses in the NHL last night, the Isles with one of the best defenses. The problem with the Avs offense is that it's all tied up with one line. The next-best weapon Colorado has outside of those three is Carl Soderberg, who's on the third line. Trust me, that's a huge point of consternation with Avs fans right now. Shut down that top line and you're pretty much guaranteed a win, and it didn't help that the floundering PK has all but collapsed at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:01 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Oh man, Garik the Stats Guy lost his damned mind over those two calls on JHS there on Twitter. And Trotz was having none of it because he done got his ass benched for a good long time after that (in favor of guys like Komarov which actually helped the Avs). On the replay he clearly did it, but...they were pretty soft. Much more blatant stuff went uncalled.

And then there was a blatant takedown/slew foot on J.T. Compher during that they just didn't feel like calling. NHL officiating is getting almost as bad as NFL officiating, though they have a ways to go before they hit THAT nadir.

Avs came in with one of the best offenses in the NHL last night, the Isles with one of the best defenses. The problem with the Avs offense is that it's all tied up with one line. The next-best weapon Colorado has outside of those three is Carl Soderberg, who's on the third line. Trust me, that's a huge point of consternation with Avs fans right now. Shut down that top line and you're pretty much guaranteed a win, and it didn't help that the floundering PK has all but collapsed at this point.

I agree- Ho-Sang was guilty of both, but there are tons of worse things on every shift of every game that don't get called. One penalty? Fine. Both? Come on.

It's still so frigging weird to read the Islanders have "one of the best defenses". Compared to last year it's a totally different team.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:54 am 

Woof. Ugly as all hell win against the Habs but it's a win so I'll effing take it. At least the goaltending FINALLY showed up.

Gabe Landeskog with his EIGHTH game-winning goal. Both Rantanen (1G, 1A) and MacKinnon (2A) get points as well.

Avs lost Nikita Zadorov to injury during the game, hopefully nothing serious.

He may only be 20 but I am gonna call Tyson Jost a bust. Not big enough or fast enough and there's not enough skill/hockey IQ to offset those two major flaws. The first really big whiff under the new draft/development regime. It's a shame because there's plenty to like about him. He's a good kid who has worked hard and doesn't shy away from contact but I just don't think he's good enough to be more than a marginal NHLer. If he proves me wrong I'll be delighted but he's getting surpassed by lesser-heralded talents on the roster and he simply isn't evolving his game at all. He was all but invisible tonight, as he has been on most nights.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:37 am 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Woof. Ugly as all hell win against the Habs but it's a win so I'll effing take it. At least the goaltending FINALLY showed up.

Gabe Landeskog with his EIGHTH game-winning goal. Both Rantanen (1G, 1A) and MacKinnon (2A) get points as well.

Avs lost Nikita Zadorov to injury during the game, hopefully nothing serious.

He may only be 20 but I am gonna call Tyson Jost a bust. Not big enough or fast enough and there's not enough skill/hockey IQ to offset those two major flaws. The first really big whiff under the new draft/development regime. It's a shame because there's plenty to like about him. He's a good kid who has worked hard and doesn't shy away from contact but I just don't think he's good enough to be more than a marginal NHLer. If he proves me wrong I'll be delighted but he's getting surpassed by lesser-heralded talents on the roster and he simply isn't evolving his game at all. He was all but invisible tonight, as he has been on most nights.

On the other end, Habs fans are melting down over Price and Benn for some reason getting the Weber assignment. The Habs were supposed to suck!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:03 pm 

E.L. wrote:
On the other end, Habs fans are melting down over Price and Benn for some reason getting the Weber assignment. The Habs were supposed to suck!

I gotta admit I did a double take when I saw Jamie's brother on the top pairing. Really?

Price had a Roy moment handling the puck but really, MacKinnon's speed is gonna make things like that happen from time to time. He thought he had a clear short lane to Weber there and Nate swooped in. He was otherwise lights-out. 2nd goal wasn't his fault, and the interference call could've gone either way...I really don't know what goalie interference is anymore.

They replayed some of Grubauer's saves. Avs were soooo lucky on a few.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:48 pm 
Big in Japan

Putting Benn there was a terrible idea, but it's not like they have an obvious replacement. Roll Mete and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:16 pm 

This season continues to be crazy because they're still getting sub-optimal returns on their two best defensemen. Both Tyson Barrie and Erik Johnson have not been anywhere near their respective selves this year, which is super-odd considering the two of them have never had better talent around them on the blueline. Ian Cole has been their most consistent blueliner this season and even he's hit the skids of late.

It really has been the "Best Line in Hockey" carrying this team. Without them they're probably lottery-bound.

Avs, in light of the Zadorov injury, end up calling up quite possibly the worst defenseman in their system in Anton Lindholm. I suppose this is one of those "last gasp" sort of things because I don't see him staying in North America past this season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:20 pm 

I guess the good news is that the Avs picked a somewhat "good" time to be mired in a slump. The rest of the Central is losing too, especially Nashville, so they haven't lost a ton of ground.

Ironically, it appears Chicago might finally be figuring it out, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:20 am 

Avs limp into Christmas break with a pair of back-to-back losses. The good news is that they didn't really lay down and die in either one, and both Pavel Francouz and Phillipp Grubauer played well in parts of both games. Going forward those two will need to be every bit as good, if not better because it's likely that's the tandem starting next season.

It appears Joe Sakic will not be going "all in" this season, meaning neither of the two first rounders or any prime prospects will be in play for rental players. And that's fine, but I'm guessing there will be some movement before the deadline. There are at least three players in the starting lineup who are UFA in 2019. Of course, one of them, Colin Wilson, is injured right now, and I'm not sure dealing Semyon Varlamov when his value is at an all-time low is a great idea, especially given how rough Grubauer has looked in spots this season.

Anyway, the Avs need this break, and I don't mind the short break from hockey. Time to fire up the egg nog and brandy and watch some Christmas movies!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:33 am 

Oof. Avs emerge from Xmas break with a 2-1 dud against the Vegas Sleepless Knights and are now 2-6-1 in their last nine.

Jared Bednar finally did the thing I'm sure he really didn't want to do. He broke up the Top Line. This is what emerged at last practice:

Matt Nieto - Nathan MacKinnon - Mikko Rantanen
Gabriel Landeskog - Alex Kerfoot - J.T. Compher
Sheldon Dries - Carl Soderberg - Matt Calvert
Gabriel Bourque - Tyson Jost - Sven Andrighetto

I still think he could keep the top line together and try Soderberg as 2C with better wingers but let's see if this at least gets them headed in the right direction.

I assume defensive pairings remained the same, which is a problem since the defense is an even bigger issue than the offense at present.

Semyon Varlamov gets the start. For whatever reason he has an insanely good record against the Blackhawks. We'll see if that momentum continues tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next