OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:34 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Logical Progression wrote:
Yes goaltending is a much larger issue with no quick fix. But effort level and execution has as much to do with systems and coaching as it does with player motivation. They should make the playoffs, I mean on paper they have the most talent and are the best of the bunch of those middling teams, but without consistent goaltending they're as good as done.

Well, it's kind of a chicken/egg thing. The goaltending has failed, which has had a pernicious effect on the team's play. There was a time when Grubauer could lay a big fat egg and let in at least two ridiculously bad goals from Sidney Crosby and the Avs still rallied to win. But after time the shitty netminding from both guys has led to a loss of confidence and if you're not playing with confidence, you simply can't win consistently. Statistically speaking, the Avs are outchancing their opponents, but their shooting % has dropped to dead last in the league if I have read correctly.

So in short, lots of shots generated, no goals to show for it, shaky special teams, and craptacular goaltending. Yes...the Avs have become the Carolina Hurricanes.

I suppose this is a good sign if nothing else.

Quote:
Philipp Grubauer, Semyon Varlamov & Jussi Parkkila were talking until Gabriel Landeskog came over and gave them a big group hug while saying something encouraging.

It was easy to see how much that meant to the goalie group.

https://twitter.com/ryan_s_clark/status ... 5011912705

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:40 pm 

Bad news, there has been no sprinkling of magic dust nor a miracle trade for an ace goalie, so Philipp Grubauer is the latest guy up to try and save the season.

Good news, longtime-injured prospect Conor Timmins has been officially assigned to AHL to continue his rehab from post-concussion syndrome. If he actually gets to play before this season ends that'll be something.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:09 pm 

Avs pretty much hit rock bottom with a 6-3 loss to the Blue Jackets, who were also hella desperate for a win themselves. The loss contained pretty much everything that has been plaguing the Avs. Overall decent play with plenty of speed, but inexplicable defensive breakdowns...and of course, horrid goaltending.

Sakic has got to be beside himself now that the one big move he made this offseason is blowing up in his face. I would think at THIS POINT they have to be looking at getting a new goaltending coach, as it's clear Jussi Parkkila is doing nothing to solve the issue. But I doubt anything will happen until after the season.

Speaking of Sakic, he held a presser before the game. He made it clear that the Avs would not sacrifice either first round pick or any of their top prospects to seek rental help this season, but that he's been actively looking for secondary scoring help. Problem is, he should have made a move a lot sooner, when the Avs were winning. It became clear pretty early on that Tyson Jost wasn't cutting it and was probably never gonna cut it. At that point, a move should have been made while some players still held some value. Now we are looking at a team playing with zero confidence, nonexistent goaltending, and a burned-out top line.

The way this is going, the Avs will be getting two top prospects in this year's draft. But to me that's still a massive, massive failure on Sakic's part.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:22 pm 
Big in Japan

Goaltending is so fickle: the team thought they were getting a great tandem for 2019 and future no. 1 in PG. Totally hasn't happened according to plan, and you have to wonder if Grub benefited from a contending Caps team and if Varly is just done.

At what point can you IR stash a guy and give Francouz another try?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:10 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Goaltending is so fickle: the team thought they were getting a great tandem for 2019 and future no. 1 in PG. Totally hasn't happened according to plan, and you have to wonder if Grub benefited from a contending Caps team and if Varly is just done.

At what point can you IR stash a guy and give Francouz another try?

With Varly it's only a matter of time before he gets hurt again. He picked the worst possible time to have a year like this.

To be honest I think this proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that Mitch Korn is the best goaltending coach in the world. Look at what Grubauer has done since the two parted ways. Now look at what Korn has done for the previously-disastrous pair of Robin Lehner and Thomas Greiss in NY.

Jussi Parkkila is failing at a fundamental level with these guys. They keep making the same mistakes. I don't know shit about goaltending but I can see how poorly they both defend against wraparound attempts. And it happens the same way every time with both guys. They over-commit on one side and don't use the post to push off to the other side, leaving it wide open. Oliver Bjorkstrand did it TWICE in one game last night and nearly scored on both, luckily the team bailed Grubauer out on the 2nd one.

So weird they're not even questioning this when it seems readily apparent to even a hockey dumb-shit like me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:23 pm 

Avs take on the Isles today, Ian Cole will not be playing after getting the beatdown of his life from Tom Wilson following a very questionable hit by the former on Evgeny Kuznetsov.

At this point I'll start caring when the Avs organization does.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:12 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

They salvage a point on the road versus the upstart Isle but man Varly stinks and how Mack didn't score with Lehner wandering was beyond unlucky.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:26 pm 

Well...when you're on a stretch this bad pretty much everything that can go wrong, does go wrong. Poor Nate is on a bad luck bender the likes of which Jack Eichel suffered through previously, where he was doing a lot of things right but the goddamn puck just wasn't going in.

But the Avs deserved this loss. They jumped out to a 2-0 lead and then promptly turtled. Can't do that with suspect defense and crap goaltending. To his credit, Varlamov wasn't horrid. Yeah...not every goal he let in was a great one, but if they had continued to press like they had in the first half of the game they probably would have won. But when you're afraid of losing every night, this is the kind of crap that happens.

It's inexcusable though that this team is far and away the worst in 3-on-3 overtime. The coaches need to figure out what in hell is going wrong and fix it. It's been nearly two years of this shit.

If no one could tell I'm very quickly turning on Jared Bednar. He and his staff are doing a lot of things wrong now, even though one of those things (goaltending) is kind of beyond his control.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:13 am 
OTP Historian

Seriously, just trade for Jimmy Howard already. This isn't hard.

https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/stat ... 7519421442

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:40 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Seriously, just trade for Jimmy Howard already. This isn't hard.

https://twitter.com/ChartingHockey/stat ... 7519421442

Well, the Avs up and found a different way to lose yesterday against the Bruins. Varlamov was quite good, but they couldn't muster more than one goal in regulation. And then of course, they lost in OT.

I dunno, I'm kinda resigned to the notion that it's too late. They could've made moves in November/early December to try and right this thing. They didn't, and I suppose they'll get two good first round picks to show for it. It's still infuriating as all hell. This was preventable.

I'll be angry, but not the least bit surprised, if Joe Sakic moves absolutely no one at the deadline and just lets Varlamov, Andrighetto, Nemeth, and Wilson walk in July. I'm not of the mind that you absolutely MUST move every major expiring deal, but they pretty much stood pat during the Season of Doom two years ago...I don't necessarily see that changing at this deadline either.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:47 am 
OTP Historian

If Colorado misses the playoffs, I bet that their picks end up both ahead of Detroit in the draft and I lose my fucking mind.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:35 pm 

About the only enjoyable thing about all this losing is that I get to come up with new ways to spin things whenever it's my turn to make the game day thread at HF...

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/ ... -156373199

I just recently saw "The Tree of Life" by Terence Malick. That may or may not have influenced me on this one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:59 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
About the only enjoyable thing about all this losing is that I get to come up with new ways to spin things whenever it's my turn to make the game day thread at HF...

I just recently saw "The Tree of Life" by Terence Malick. That may or may not have influenced me on this one.

Fantastic!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:55 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Fantastic!

:D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:03 pm 

Thanks. It's seriously the only joy I'm getting out of yet another goddamn season of misery.

After last night's putrid performance, defined by an idiotic double-minor penalty committed by J.T. Compher that allowed to Leafs to score two goals inside of a minute, I think this season is officially done. There's no saving it. I thought MAYBE they could shuffle some deck chairs, fire the goalie coach, see if maybe they could get better netminding from Pavel Francouz...but...never mind. I think it's time to sell off assets at the deadline, and brace for impact. At the very least, they should have a pretty awesome day at the draft in Vancouver.

Interesting in-depth article about a guy who is being set up as the franchise savior (which I think on many levels is a mistake, even if he ends up being as good as the hype), Cale Makar.

https://theathletic.com/809141/2019/02/ ... t-be-both/

Fun fact I didn't know about prior to reading this article: Cale gets his name from former Flames defenseman Cale Hulse. Apparently Cale's father, Gary Makar, came away so impressed with Hulse after the two briefly worked together he ended up naming his first-born son after the guy.

And a not-so-fun fact...the young man refers to his enjoyment of a "really old" movie called "Back to the Future." That makes me feel like the dust that gets kicked up whenever Indiana Jones is fighting a Nazi in some ancient ruin.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:35 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Pokecheque wrote:

And a not-so-fun fact...the young man refers to his enjoyment of a "really old" movie called "Back to the Future." That makes me feel like the dust that gets kicked up whenever Indiana Jones is fighting a Nazi in some ancient ruin.

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:59 pm 

us 679 part trois wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Nice, and that's how all of you made me feel 16 years ago when OTP started, welcome to the wrong side of the generational divide............except you Bosc, you'll always be the pup. :P

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:46 pm 
Improvement on the US678 prototype

Fogghorn wrote:
us 679 part trois wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Nice, and that's how all of you made me feel 16 years ago when OTP started, welcome to the wrong side of the generational divide............except you Bosc, you'll always be the pup. :P

In three months, I'll be hitting the big '5' '0'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:08 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
us 679 part trois wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Fun fact, I think E.L. Sask and I are all 1982's?

Treebait and Newt were probably the youngest to be on there I think.

I started playing in the milton league fresh out of school at 22. I'm old enough for the 35+ now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:58 pm 

Avs finally win one, and against the Jets IN Winnipeg to boot. How 'bout that.

Gabriel Landeskog pads his GWG lead with his 9th of the season (in case you're curious, McDavid, Panarin, Skinner, and some kid named Pettersson are tied for 2nd with 7 apiece), which also happens to give him 30 goals on the year, the first time in his career he's ever hit that mark. Strange to me how a guy can be wildly popular among his fanbase and still somehow underrated.

Prospect (and former Leafs draft pick) Dominic Toninato opened the scoring with his 1st career NHL goal. I'm quite high on the guy's chances of being a mainstay. He may not score much but the Avs need players like him to round out the bottom six.

Anyway, the one team in the Central whose season has done the complete opposite of the Avs, the St. Louis Blues, tomorrrow afternoon. I don't expect a win but I hope to hell they put up a fight.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next