OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:05 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

https://twitter.com/PuckDontLie/status/ ... 2565151745

I think this was mainly spawned by Friedman's recent speculation about Zadorov's dwindling ice time but now it's gathering a little steam on the Internets. It's true that Ian Cole's arrival and emergence as the go-to shutdown guy has kinda marginalized Zads and it's clear that Bednar and he don't have a ton of love lost but I don't think there's any desire from management to part ways with the guy, especially if they're concerned about Erik Johnson entering his thirties after an already-lengthy injury history. This is compounded by the fact that Conor Timmins is nowhere near ready and this is already likely a lost season for him. There's already huge concern as to whether he will EVER fully recover from this concussion.

Anyway, they had kind of a lengthy contract discussion before the Avs stood their ground and Z decided to just sign a 2-year bridge deal. He likely won't see a substantial raise as a 3rd-pairing guy getting scant minutes, but I think it'd be a mistake to move him. And I sure as hell don't wish to see Patrik Nemeth as a blueline staple going forward. Dude did well in a pinch for the Avs but he's interim, and has been patently horrid this season.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:52 pm 

The Top Line comes through again in a comeback win against an injury-depleted Ducks squad. Down 3-1, Nathan MacKinnon proceeds to score twice and then set up Mikko Rantanen for the OTGWG with less than two seconds remaining. While I wish they'd quit with these weak-ass starts, I'd rather see them finish strong than choke away a lead.

Rantanen is the first player in the league this season to reach 30 points. Dude's gonna get PAID this offseason.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:30 am 

J.T. Compher returns from injury and comes through with two shorthanded goals during the same penalty kill in a rout of the Coyotes, spoiling Antti Raanta's own return from injury.

Dude has developed his offensive game. Last season he'd just fling it at the net, now he's picking his spots.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 5:27 pm 

https://twitter.com/Avalanche/status/10 ... 0402930688

The dads were in attendance in last night's last-minute comeback win against the Stars. Really dull game until the closing minutes of the 3rd and then all hell broke loose. Mikko Rantanen, league leader in scoring, gets the game-winner of course.

So bummed about Dallas in general. Those COL/DAL games just a few years ago, when neither team could play a lick of defense but had speed to spare, were fun as all hell. Now the Stars just look...average.

Rantanen leading the league in assists and points, Patrik Laine leading in goals, Pekka Rinne leading in Sv%. The Finns are taking over!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:33 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Man, I've got some serious line envy for that Rantanen line. They are the easily the best line in hockey. Landy is a beast, McKinnon a borderline generational talent and Rantanen can set up and score and sees the ice as well as anyone in the game.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:05 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Man, I've got some serious line envy for that Rantanen line. They are the easily the best line in hockey. Landy is a beast, McKinnon a borderline generational talent and Rantanen can set up and score and sees the ice as well as anyone in the game.

Ol' Rants has been a delight to watch, and has covered up for the fact that Nate hasn't quite reached the same stratosphere he did last season...but that's okay, he's still been quite awesome for the most part.

Still troubling to see Erik Johnson still not looking quite right. Avs cannot afford for him to stumble at this juncture.

Other not-good news, Tyson Barrie is out for tonight's game with a LBI. Doesn't sound serious. Mark Barberio slides back into the lineup.

Bednar also opted to swap out the two rookies (Dries/Kamenev) in favor of two vets (Andrighetto/Bourque) but...no biggie. I'd rather see Kamenev play as he's been quite effective in a 4th line role but I can only muster so much anger and vitriol for a shuffling of bottom-six players.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:56 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Nice 3-2 win over the Preds. Rantanen with 2 assists and already reaches 30 assist mark on the season. Nate with is 16th and 17th goals of the year. Thought read somewhere that the Avs snapped a 11 game losing skid to the Preds. Can that be right?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:04 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Nice 3-2 win over the Preds. Rantanen with 2 assists and already reaches 30 assist mark on the season. Nate with is 16th and 17th goals of the year. Thought read somewhere that the Avs snapped a 11 game losing skid to the Preds. Can that be right?

Not counting the postseason...yep.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:52 am 
King of Men

Mark Barberio with the Freddy Mercury look alike stashe. Not sure why the wife has me tuned into Avs games this year but they have been entertaining.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:51 pm 

Big win over Crosby, Malkin, Phil the Thrill, and the Pens last night. 2nd of a back-to-back (I think for both teams, weird, weird scheduling during the holiday season this year). Avs roar out to a 3-0 lead before Sid the Kid took over and tied it up all by his lonesome. Then the top line responded and proceeded to put it away with an ENG and added insurance tally from Big Carl.

Philipp Grubauer had a pretty solid game except for one truly horrid goal given up in the closing seconds of the 2nd. C'mon, man...

Nathan MacKinnon with three assists and a goal on the night. Dude was FLYING out there, despite Pitt's every attempt to clutch and grab and hook last night. That's why I don't have much sympathy for the trip in the closing seconds of the game by Landeskog on Letang.

It takes something to make Crosby look bad on a play. Avs did it TWICE last night. Check out the Avs' first goal (0:15 mark). Sammy with the "tornade" (his name for it" move to get down the ice, MacKinnon kicks it down-ice for Rantanen, forcing Sidney to flop onto the ice and flail around to try and stop the setup pass. He doesn't.

On the Avs' third goal (1:45 mark) MacKinnon enters the zone, gets the shot off, Jost and Sid battle for the rebound, Jost not only wins but draws a penalty. Sid immediately turns around and glares at the ref, which frees up Jost to get it to Nate who promptly dishes to Colin Wilson for an easy deflection.

Nate also scored the empty-netter with Sid failing to defend him which explains why the Kid was -1 on the night despite scoring a hat trick. :lol:

Avs have won six straight, and 8-1-1 in their last 10.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:09 pm 
King of Men

The wife has signed me up to watch a lot of games lately so I feel impelled to comment. The Pens were not very good on at all during the 1st half of the game......the Avs speed seems to do that to teams that aren't ready for it. Dumoulin and Letang were f'n terrible. Brassard played a lazy game all night with Malkin and Kessel on auto pilot. Pens didn't step their game up until Sid started playing midway through the game and that seemed to bring the level of play to a playoff pitch until Landeskog scored. Things aren't falling apart in Pittsburgh yet....but with piss poor D and a leaky cage things are trending down in PA!

On the other side of the coin....the kids are all right in Denver. MacKinnon is a f'n monster.........and he ought to be getting consideration as one of the best centers in the game at this point. And what about this Rantanen fellow? Seems to have a knack to be everywhere when he needs to be. I couldn't have told you Ian Cole was 29...with his experience I thought the dude was 37 and over the hill. Never did I expect him to be the solidifying factor on the back end. We haven't even gotten to the talent that Girard is or the Mercury Stash of Barbeirio...and what's that? Carl Soderberg is at almost a point a game! Yes things seem to be getting better in Denver....its about time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:38 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
The wife has signed me up to watch a lot of games lately so I feel impelled to comment. The Pens were not very good on at all during the 1st half of the game......the Avs speed seems to do that to teams that aren't ready for it. Dumoulin and Letang were f'n terrible. Brassard played a lazy game all night with Malkin and Kessel on auto pilot. Pens didn't step their game up until Sid started playing midway through the game and that seemed to bring the level of play to a playoff pitch until Landeskog scored. Things aren't falling apart in Pittsburgh yet....but with piss poor D and a leaky cage things are trending down in PA!

On the other side of the coin....the kids are all right in Denver. MacKinnon is a f'n monster.........and he ought to be getting consideration as one of the best centers in the game at this point. And what about this Rantanen fellow? Seems to have a knack to be everywhere when he needs to be. I couldn't have told you Ian Cole was 29...with his experience I thought the dude was 37 and over the hill. Never did I expect him to be the solidifying factor on the back end. We haven't even gotten to the talent that Girard is or the Mercury Stash of Barbeirio...and what's that? Carl Soderberg is at almost a point a game! Yes things seem to be getting better in Denver....its about time.

All the more impressive if that Soda has been saddled with two wingers in Nieto and Calvert most of the season who couldn't put the puck in the net even if Hardy Astrom were to come out of retirement today and suit up. They haven't been horrid per se, just no scoring ability whatsoever. Calvert has Dean McAmmond hands without the shot. People still think they should try Soda out at C with Kerfoot and Jost and use someone else in that 3C spot. It might be Kamenev if he continues to roll like he's currently doing or J.T. Compher.

Yeah, I didn't love the Cole signing at the time but geez...he's been a perfect fit thus far.

Avs absolutely dominated the Pens in the 1st last night, the NBC crew even dropped a Harlem Globetrotters reference during one sequence where the top line just looked like they were toying with Pittsburgh, and again, Pitt was doing everything they could to hook, clutch, and grab (and maybe got called on it twice) and still couldn't stop them. I noticed Sid and Phil, but I barely noticed Geno, and it was Brassard who lost a puck battle in the NZ to Andrighetto that led to the game's 2nd goal. Pens definitely looked frazzled, even after they tied things up they never looked particularly dangerous.

Barbs apparently had an admirer in the front row who was sporting a sign and imitation stache, too lazy to look it up, but it was funny. :laugh:

I seriously gotta get there and see a game sometime in the new year before tickets get really hard to acquire.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:14 pm 

The Athletic have outdone themselves with the shrewd hire of Ryan S. Clark as their Avs beat writer, a guy who was previously covering the Washington Huskies for a Tacoma, WA paper. Their hires for the Rockies, Nuggets, and Broncos were, like most of their talent, pilfered from the local rag in the area (In this case, the Denver Post).

Here's a piece he did on Avs top forward prospect Martin Kaut.

Everyone is taking notice of Martin Kaut, even his hero Milan Hejduk

Quote:
Part of what makes the Avalanche even more enticing is the future. There’s a chance Bednar could add at least three first-round talents to next year’s roster in center Shane Bowers, Kaut and Cale Makar. That figure might rise to four depending upon who they draft with the first-round pick the Avalanche acquired from the Senators in the three-team Matt Duchene trade last fall.

I'm currently subscribed to both The Athletic and BSN Denver, Adrian Dater's current employer. Gotta admit that to start, BSN was absolutely killing The Athletic, but since Clark has come to town and sorta gotten his bearings, he's been the go-to guy for insightful pieces on the team.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:59 am 
King of Men

DET and COL back on! Did you see the bench mugging from Tyler Bertuzzi?

They were already riled up from the almost goalie fight the night before against Boston.

Here is the incident and the slo mo!

https://streamable.com/ioc7g

slo mo:

https://streamable.com/zm7wm

Here is Saturday's night sad state of affairs where everyone postures and no one does anything in the new NHL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJWITsqfi5U

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:18 pm 

The Lil' Bert sucker punch was bad enough, but to me none of that happens if Rasmussen doesn't grab Calvert from the bench and hold him during play, THEN Larkin puts him in a headlock while Bert fires an uppercut. Those two fuckwads should get a hearing as well.

And yes, I saw Calvert attempting to spear them beforehand, but you know what? If a player on the bench ever did that to me, goddamn right you're gonna get shishkabobbed.

I dunno about the whole "THE RIVALRY IS BACK ON" stuff Lauren and Ryker were trying to ramp up, that was just a sad, pathetic roster of glorified grinders that couldn't keep up resorting to obstruction tactics and gooning it up, that then got all butthurt when the Avs came right back at 'em and dealt a few heavy hits of their own.

Did not know Larkin was so scrappy though. My hate for him has grown but I'll admit he's a lot tougher than I thought.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:26 pm 
King of Men

yeah I though that was pretty funny....Rycroft is like a super homer on steriods....and with that pervy molester goat he's rocking he needs to watch out! My wife was certainly fired up as was Marc Moser. They can't fight anymore...so what you get is these passive aggressive frustration outbursts.....stick grabbing, nut spearing......hack a whacks (Marchand) and licking.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:27 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
yeah I though that was pretty funny....Rycroft is like a super homer on steriods....and with that pervy molester goat he's rocking he needs to watch out! My wife was certainly fired up as was Marc Moser. They can't fight anymore...so what you get is these passive aggressive frustration outbursts.....stick grabbing, nut spearing......hack a whacks (Marchand) and licking.

Ehhhhhh...I'd argue those extracurriculars took place back in the day anyway. Just ask Esa Tikkanen. The stickwork was still prevalent back in the day too if not worse.

And Ryker shaved the goat. :laugh: Honestly I didn't notice him much with Lauren and her crazy-ass ponytail and leather dress hosting the intermission and postgame. They need to get JML in there more. The thing I do like about Ryker is that he doesn't hesitate to call the Avs out when they play poorly. And they absolutely did in the first period.

Overall that game was pretty meh. Varly got his first shutout of the season but I can't recall a time he really had to go out of his way to make a save. The Wings whiffed on a wide-open chance but other than that they weren't really that dangerous. Avs should've fired way more rubber on the net, they tried WAY too hard last night to be fancy. It's Jonny effin' Bernier people, you know better'n anyone how good (and bad) he is. If it were me I'd tell the team to shoot it every chance they got and crash the net with impunity. He's either gonna fail to stop it or he's gonna serve up an easy rebound. WHY they signed that guy to a multi-year deal is beyond me. I like him and all and he was integral for the Avs when it mattered most last season but he's nothing more than an average backup IMO.

Percentage-wise the Avs currently have the best power play of all time. Like, in league history. That's obviously not gonna last through the season and even if it does it doesn't matter much to me so much as that they score on the man-advantage when it matters most. Given that a PPG was the game-winner, that would appear to be the case.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:09 pm 

Cale Makar, the team's top prospect and 4th overall pick in 2017, currently has 18 points in 13 games with UMass. A lot of concern came from some folks at the time he was drafted that he had committed to a not-great program. Indeed, UMass didn't do a ton last season, where Makar went 5-16-21 in 34 games as a freshman. But lo and behold, UMass is currently the #1 team in the nation...thanks in no small part to their current captain. Cannot frickin' WAIT until this kid is signed.

In other good news, the team's other top prospect, who was taken in the 2nd round right after Makar, Conor Timmins, is currently skating again. Still recovering from a bad concussion suffered in the Memorial Cup tournament. Gonna be a long, long haul for him yet. I'd be shocked if he plays at all this season...but hopefully this'll be the end of it. I'd be just fine with a Colorado prospect never playing the Memorial Cup ever again.

Martin Kaut and Sampo Ranta are among the names of invitees to the Czech and Finnish WJC camps respectively.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:40 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
The Lil' Bert sucker punch was bad enough, but to me none of that happens if Rasmussen doesn't grab Calvert from the bench and hold him during play, THEN Larkin puts him in a headlock while Bert fires an uppercut. Those two fuckwads should get a hearing as well.

And yes, I saw Calvert attempting to spear them beforehand, but you know what? If a player on the bench ever did that to me, goddamn right you're gonna get shishkabobbed.

I dunno about the whole "THE RIVALRY IS BACK ON" stuff Lauren and Ryker were trying to ramp up, that was just a sad, pathetic roster of glorified grinders that couldn't keep up resorting to obstruction tactics and gooning it up, that then got all butthurt when the Avs came right back at 'em and dealt a few heavy hits of their own.

Did not know Larkin was so scrappy though. My hate for him has grown but I'll admit he's a lot tougher than I thought.

Here's my Wings homer take for you.

1. You're supposed to keep control of your stick. Calvert was waving that thing around after he was bumped like he was drowning. I wouldn't be too pleased getting hit with that on the bench.
2. Grabbing a guy's stick when it's in your bench - a little bit of gamesmanship, like when a guy gets hit over the boards into the bench.
3. Intentionally spearing a guy on the bench is not a reasonable response to getting your stick held. Give him at least a game for stupid.
4. Bert's move was dumb. Deserves the two games.

Don't wave your fucking stick around by the bench, Calvert.

Yeah, Larkin's chippy at times. He actually takes quite a few minors. Wish he would cut down on them. Why the hate, though? He's not particularlu dirty. Just because he's a Wing?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:22 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Here's my Wings homer take for you.

1. You're supposed to keep control of your stick. Calvert was waving that thing around after he was bumped like he was drowning. I wouldn't be too pleased getting hit with that on the bench.
2. Grabbing a guy's stick when it's in your bench - a little bit of gamesmanship, like when a guy gets hit over the boards into the bench.
3. Intentionally spearing a guy on the bench is not a reasonable response to getting your stick held. Give him at least a game for stupid.
4. Bert's move was dumb. Deserves the two games.

Don't wave your fucking stick around by the bench, Calvert.

Yeah, Larkin's chippy at times. He actually takes quite a few minors. Wish he would cut down on them. Why the hate, though? He's not particularlu dirty. Just because he's a Wing?

Well, I did say my hate for him was "growing", doesn't necessarily mean I hated the guy going in, in fact I quite liked him, but I'm still pretty irritated with the headlock leading up to the Lil' Bert sucker punch. Regardless, probably should've phrased it a little better. He also got into it with Rantanen but whatever, that's hockey. I put him on the same level as Subban--normally I like him until he's playing my team.

And Calvert is no saint himself, no doubt, but it's still a sucker punch, which is nothing new with people who bear that name.

But yeah, TBH while I certainly haven't the level of animosity toward the Wings that I did way back in the day, I'm not particularly sad for the situation they find themselves in, since Kenny kinda/sorta dug his own grave there. I am sorry that you and Skip have to sit through it though. I would like to see them pull out of the rut when Stevie Y takes over and they get a new core built around Larkin/Zadina/Veleno/McIsaac/etc.

I just heard Anthony Mantha is gonna miss time due to a hand injury, incurred no doubt from the fight he had punching Patrik Nemeth in the head. Hope it was worth it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next