OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Avs at the draft
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:16 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Despite rampant speculation, the Senators kept the 4th overall pick. I'm reading on Twitter that Sakic said Dorion told him that if Tkachuk were still on the board when they were up, they were gonna keep it. Really? I think Keith's younger son will be a good player for sure...but geez, that seems like a bit of overvaluing there.

Anyway, Avs get Czech winger Martin Kaut at 16th overall. A bit of a surprise pick. Two other guys I thought they'd take (Farabee and Denisenko) were taken right before they were up, but I was hoping for Veleno. Some concerns about a heart condition that was detected at the combine. He had an ablation done that should take care of the problem, though Bob McKenzie said on NBCSN that the docs said it was merely precautionary, he didn't necessarily need to do it. He's expected to play next season in Europe and then head over.

There's a lot to like. Versatile, smooth skating, doesn't hesitate to get into the dirty areas. Perhaps a bit reminiscent of the last great Czech player to don an Avs sweater--Milan Hejduk. He's from the town where Hejduk played, Pardubice.

Apparently he's also quite the charmer, apologized for his rough English but answered every question. I don't know if he was the best pick but I already like the kid.

Avs also made a deal to get Philipp Grubauer. Nice move.

Post subject: Re: Avs at the draft
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:29 am 

Stealing a post done on HF

Picks
1st Round (#16) - Martin Kaut - RW - Right - 6'2" 187 lbs - HC Pardubice (Czech)
3rd Round (#64) - Justus Annunen - G - Left - 6'4" 216 lbs - Karpat (Fin)
3rd Round (#78) - Sampo Ranta - LW - Left - 6'2 198 lbs - Sioux City (USHL)
4th Round (#109) - Tyler Weiss - LW/C - Left - 5'11" 150 lbs - U.S. National U18 Team
5th Round (#140) - Brandon Saigeon - C - Left - 6'2" 194 lbs - Hamilton (OHL)
5th Round (#146) - Danila Zhuravlyov - D - Left - 6'0" 163 lbs - Irbis Kazan (MHL)
6th Round (#171) - Nikolai Kovalenko - RW - Left - 5'10" 174 lbs - Loko Yaroslavl (MHL)
7th Round (#202) - Shamil Shmakov - G - Left - 6'6" 192 lbs - Sibirskie Snaipery Novosibirsk (MHL)

Picks Traded
Jun 22 - Trades 2018 2nd round pick (#47) to Washington for Philipp Grubauer and Brooks Orpik.
Jun 23 - Trades Nashville's 2nd round pick acquired in Duchene trade (#58) to Pittsburgh for Ottawa's 3rd round pick (#64) (Justus Annunen) and Pittsburgh's 5th round pick (#146) (Danila Zhuravlyov).

Avs completely trade out of the 2nd round with the Grubauer deal and flip their extra 2nd from the Duchene deal to Pittsburgh to trade down. So in essence they just parlayed that deal into even more futures.

I like that this team is taking some risks at the draft, especially in the lower rounds. That's what you should do IMO, in the past they settled for middling grinders and goon-types. I also love that the previously Euro-phobic regime got the boot and this team is fully on-board with them now. It should be noted that they have ZERO issue drafting Russkies, unlike a few other teams.

Oh and if anyone's wondering, yeah, Nikolai Kovalenko is Andrei's son. Could be the first 2nd-generation Avalanche player, though Andrei was an Av only briefly--he was one of the players sent over to Montreal in the Roy trade.

Still reading up on this draft class. At first glance I think it's...fine. Like the fact that they went and added two more goalies, though I didn't expect to see Annunen taken before Skarek.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:46 am 
Big in Japan

Had a feeling someone would like Kaut more than the consensus.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:18 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Jesus - who the hell is Shamil Shmakov the 6'6 Center? By the time he's 22 he could be 6'8. That could be interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:42 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
Jesus - who the hell is Shamil Shmakov the 6'6 Center? By the time he's 22 he could be 6'8. That could be interesting.

He's a goalie actually :lol:

And he's the real mystery. Other than the fact that he's a big Russian kid we know next to nothing about him. Even in Pronman's follow-up on the Avs draft class, there was literally no entry after Shmakov's name.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:22 pm 

Quick blurbs on the kids taken this year.

Kaut - I've already posted what was said about him. I've seen comparisons to both Marian Hossa (style-wise, not as talented) and Jason Pominville. If he turns into either of those guys, even a poor-man's version, I'll be pleased.

Annunen - Big goalie, tracks the play well, some concerns about his athleticism/quickness.

Ranta - Athletically he is the complete package. Big, fast, good hands. Fell in the draft because he apparently lacks hockey sense.

Weiss - Tall but slight, good skill-set but a bit of a perimeter player.

Saigeon - Heavy shot, skating needs some work.

Zhuravlyov - Good puckmover, draws some comparisons to Zubov.

Kovalenko - Has his father's tenacity, but not his size. Good shot/scoring ability. Unfortunately a little guy who also isn't fast.

Shmakov - Again, he's big, he's Russian, and he's a goalie...that's it. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:10 pm 

One thing's for sure--hate on the Avs all you want, but this Tyler Weiss kid is worth rooting for.

Quote:
“I was working just to pay for some of the hockey and when I had my third child I just couldn’t do it, it was too much,” said Kelly Weiss. “We just got to the point where it was too expensive.”

Kelly, a medical assistant for a hand surgeon, and Shawn, a project director at LabCorp, had to break the news to their kids that the family finances could no longer afford to pay for hockey and all the travel that went along with it.

“I came home one night and Mom said, ‘We can’t play hockey anymore, you can’t go to practice tomorrow,'” said Weiss. “My brother and I were pretty upset.”

Weiss cried.

For weeks both boys were miserable, until one day Ryan came to his mom with an idea.

“Ryan knew how stressful it was and he said, ‘Mom, if I gave up hockey would that help Tyler to keep playing? Because he’s really good,'” said Kelly. “You know I didn’t want him to give up because it wasn’t fair to him, but he said, ‘That’s what I want to do.’

“It was heartbreaking. It was really heartbreaking.”

So, Ryan quit hockey in order for Tyler to continue.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:28 pm 

Slick goal from Sampo Ranta

https://twitter.com/AvalancheReview/sta ... 6801133569

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:23 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Oh just stop!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:45 pm 

I will not!

This is hilarious.

https://twitter.com/kauly61/status/1025 ... 7412811777

This year's 1st rounder Martin Kaut is practicing with fellow Czech Martin Necas (Carolina prospect, if ya didn't know), but look at the jersey he's practicing in. It's the jersey the Avs gave him at the draft. :lol: I didn't think they let the kids keep those.