OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:43 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Draft done. Duchene no get traded.

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/aval ... -290087870

Seven players selected.

# Rd Pick Player Pos Team (League)
1. 1 4 Cale Makar D Brooks Bandits (AJHL)
2. 2 32 Conor Timmins D Sault Ste. Marie (OHL)
3. 4 94 Nick Henry RW Regina (WHL)
4. 4 114 Petr Kvaca G Ceske Budejovice (Czech Republic)
5. 5 125 Igor Shvyrev C Magnitogorsk Metallurg (Russia)
6. 6 156 Denis Smirnov LW Penn State (Big Ten)
7. 7 187 Nick Leivermann D Eden Prairie (USHS)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:51 pm 
Big in Japan

Duncan Siemens
Duncan Simmins
Duncan Timmins
Donor Timmins
Conor Timmins
Conner Timmins
Conner Timckley
Conner Tleackley
Conner Bleackley

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:52 pm 

I really know nothing about these players outside of Makar, and hadn't really heard of Makar until just days before the draft. Interesting that there's a Czech goalie in the mix.

I think Makar is a risk, but a calculated risk. The safer bet would've been Heiskanen, not to mention being the more NHL-ready of the two. BUT...if Makar is as good as they say he could be, he will be something to watch. It'll be at least one year, maybe longer before he takes the ice for the Avs though. It's a moot point as Heiskanen wasn't available at #4 anyway.

So the Avs now have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th overall pick all in the organization. It'll be interesting if those players all get to take the ice together someday, but somehow I doubt that'll happen.

So now the focus shifts to re-signings, free agency, and the hiring of assistant coaches. Oh, and I guess MAYBE a Duchene trade. It was observed during the draft that Duchene's agent spoke to both David Poile and Sakic, probably trying to broker some sort of deal, but doesn't sound like anything meaningful happened.

Sakic needs to shit or get off the pot. He stirred said pot on purpose by publicly saying he was getting shit offers (my overuse of toilet and excrement metaphors is not an accident BTW), but I doubt better offers will be coming. This has been a complete farce for 2 years, and Duchene has had enough. Sakic just needs to come out and say that Duchene is once again off-limits. He can't just hang #9 out to dry forever. It's obviously taken a toll on Duchene and that's not doing anyone any favors.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:53 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Duncan Siemens
Duncan Simmins
Duncan Timmins
Donor Timmins
Conor Timmins
Conner Timmins
Conner Timckley
Conner Tleackley
Conner Bleackley

Hopefully that's not an omen... :?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:02 pm 

The fucking Denver Post didn't even bother sending a reporter to the draft. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:36 pm 

I'll have to do some more digging to see if there's an actual verifiable source but it sounds like Snow was incensed at the asking price for Duchene. From what I'm reading on HF (yes, I know) Sakic wanted defenseman Ryan Pulock AND forward Mathew Barzal.

I actually threw some shade at the Avs on Twitter...this absolutely needs to end. Sakic would have been beyond enraged if Pierre Lacroix had done this to him when he was still playing. It's been months now, maybe even longer that Duchene has been up for grabs and no one is meeting his sky-high asking prices. From a business perspective, if what yer sellin' isn't attracting customers, then you either gotta lower your price or close up shop. Sakic just needs to close up shop and get to the business of helping Jared Bednar assemble a new coaching staff, as well as acquire a new backup goalie.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:45 pm 

If the Avs do absolutely nothing beyond re-signing key RFAs, this is more or less how their lineup shakes out.

Gabriel Landeskog - Nathan MacKinnon - Mikko Rantanen
Carl Soderberg - Matt Duchene - Sven Andrighetto
Matt Nieto - Tyson Jost - Rocco Grimaldi
A.J. Greer - Blake Comeau - Joe Colborne

Nikita Zadorov - Erik Johnson
Chris Bigras - Tyson Barrie
Anton Lindholm - Mark Barberio

Semyon Varlamov
Spencer Martin

Extras: Samuel Henley

There's NO WAY they go with that lineup, but even so, that's still way better than last year's shitshow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:47 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

What is Duchene actually worth though? A first and a second rounder? Doesn't seem like he wants to be in Colorado and 41 points @ $6M per year and Sakic wants the moon and maintaining this static state is bad news.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:30 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
What is Duchene actually worth though? A first and a second rounder? Doesn't seem like he wants to be in Colorado and 41 points @ $6M per year and Sakic wants the moon and maintaining this static state is bad news.

They're also selling low on him, injuries and the general suckiness of the team led to his worst point total since his disastrous 2011-12 season, a season so bad it prompted him to completely upend his offseason training routine and playing style. He also had a disastrous showing at the Worlds. This ridiculous situation has clearly taken a toll on him.

Whoever ends up getting Dutchy will be getting an amazing player. A great combo of speed, skill, and power. Give him a situation where he gets ideal matchups/minutes with a club with the talent/depth to do so and I think he will absolutely dominate. Colorado last season couldn't even come close to this as their so-called "checking center" was/is worthless.

The one quirk about Duchene is that he really does well with a playmaking wing. He likes to wander a bit and likes to grind it out down low as well as use his speed and show off his creativity. He's at his best with at least one linemate that allows him to freely switch between wing and center. He can play either position but I'd say he's better off at the pivot.

I'd almost say he's a complete player but he's not great defensively. I wouldn't say he's terrible at it but you don't want him getting the tough matchups. He's okay as a PK forward. If indeed Snow was able to pull it off he would annihilate the competition playing 2nd line C behind John Tavares and playing with wingers like Lee or Nelson (assuming neither was part of the theoretical trade to get him).

The one big caveat with him is that I feel like he's getting increasingly injury prone. It's gonna be a big problem for him as he approaches 30 (he's only 26) given his playing style. A concussion last season pretty much derailed his entire year (though the team as a whole derailed).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:12 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Seems they want to trade a 70 pt center and teams are only offering deals for a 50 pt center.

Don't see that changing between now and the season so he stays.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
The fucking Denver Post didn't even bother sending a reporter to the draft. :roll:

Yeah its like I said.....this town has checked out on the Avs.

What is Sakic doing to this team? I guess they can't all be Yzermans.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:24 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:

Yeah its like I said.....this town has checked out on the Avs.

What is Sakic doing to this team? I guess they can't all be Yzermans.

The Post is reportedly in big trouble financially. Westword said that if Terry Frei hadn't served himself up on a platter like he did they would've laid him off anyway. But still, to not even send Chambers...ridiculous.

As for what Sakic's doing, that's the big question. No one quite knows, and some (like me) suspect he doesn't either. They actually made some decent moves down the stretch when all hope was lost, acquiring guys like Nieto and Andrighetto, FINALLY calling up guys like Compher (thought to be fair he was injured a very portion of the year) and Siemens, changing from a big, slow, soft team to one that was smaller, faster, and tougher. And of course after keeping things secret they did the right thing and sent Francois Beauchemin on his way.

Sakic and Roy deserve credit for completely overhauling the drafting/development department of the organization. It's still a work in progress but the system looks like it has legit prospects at all positions instead of a bunch of scrubs from only the OHL and WHL. The shift away from the extremely Euro-phobic tendencies of Rick Pracey may finally be starting to bear fruit as well.

Sakic also deserves credit for handling the Ryan O'Reilly situation as well as anyone could have been expected to. When it finally became clear that O'Reilly was not going to settle for Duchene/MacKinnon money, he got a decent-enough package for him. Grigorenko is a big fat bust, but Zadorov and Compher are good pieces thus far.

HOWEVER...he has completely fumbled the ball with Duchene. The uncertainty has been killing everyone, including Duchene.

We will see what he does coming up here. He needs to qualify RFAs today, and I'm guessing Mikhail Grigorenko and Eric Gelinas will not be among those tendered. Then he's gotta get Nikita Zadorov signed to a reasonable contract, get some assistants hired, and get ready for the season.

I'm guessing they'll be looking for a backup goalie and depth defender in FA. Maybe a depth forward but really, they could go with what they have.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:47 pm 

So that's the word on development camp.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:00 pm 

QO deadline coming up. Early word from Renaud Lavoie is that Eric Gelinas is not being retained. The big question will be whether they do so with Mikhail Grigorenko. Personally I hope they qualify and then trade his rights for something, though I have NO idea what.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:39 pm 

Courtesy @adater, here are the qualified Avs RFAs:

Andrighetto
Gabriel Bourque
Girard
Grimaldi
Nieto
Siemens
Zadorov

No huge surprises. As some expected, Mikhail Grigorenko is done in Colorado. Yes, that was one of the pieces coming back in the Ryan O'Reilly trade, but it wasn't the principal piece. If Nikita Zadorov and J.T. Compher end up being decent NHL regulars then the trade is fine. If they don't, Buffalo ends up with a steal.

Sakic, for all his dithering, is at least making the tough decisions in terms of cutting players loose who need to be gone. Now he needs to work toward dumping guys like Carl Soderberg.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:56 pm 

Hearing decent stuff outta development camp...which is much better than a couple years ago when Patty Roy was blasting 1st round pick Conner Bleackley for less-than-ideal conditioning.

Anyway, Avs make a signing: Sven Andrighetto, 2 years, $2.8 million.

Adrian Dater wrote:
Sven Andrighetto contract: 2 years, $1.25 million in year one, $1.55 million in year 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:19 pm 

Matt Duchene is getting married today, and while other players have been traded on their wedding day (Jordan Staal) I don't expect Sakic to pull the trigger.

So we wait. God damn it I fucking hate this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:22 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Matt Duchene is getting married today, and while other players have been traded on their wedding day (Jordan Staal) I don't expect Sakic to pull the trigger.

So we wait. God damn it I fucking hate this.

Who knows if Sakic will trade him by his first anniversary. I've heard his demands have been met by 2 teams, and he's still said no, waiting for Duchene's value to go up... Deadline deal? :|

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Now that Radulov has signed there are no more impact offensive players available and a few teams have some cap room lying around. Sakic has a second chance to pull something here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:38 pm 
Big in Japan

Avalanche sign Yakupov.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next