OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:35 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Avalanche sign Yakupov.

Meh, whatever. There's absolutely zero risk here at 1 year and $850K but if he couldn't hack it in a sheltered role in St. Louis I don't see how the hell he will do anything of consequence in Denver.

My prediction: He will be waived at some point in the season, bolt for the KHL, and AJ Greer will take his place.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:58 pm 

Avs FINALLY announce the hirings of assistant coaches.

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/aval ... -290310520

Ray Bennett has been an assistant coach seemingly forever, I imagine he was brought on board since the current coaching staff has a total of 1 year NHL experience. It's a good hire IMO. Well...it will be if he can fix the fucking power play that is.

Jussi Parkkila tutored Varly way back in his KHL days, this one has been rumored for a while so it's no surprise. Hopefully he gets the guy back on track because there aren't any other options.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:50 pm 

Holy fuckin' shit...

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/07/08/rep ... -from-avs/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:07 pm 

Despite the fact that it should hardly come as a surprise, it's already remarkable just how many Avs castoffs might actually see their NHL careers end.

Rene Bourque, John Mitchell, Eric Gelinas, Cody Goloubef, Fedor Tyutin, Francois Beauchemin, and Jarome Iginla are all still out of work. I could see some of them getting a last-minute PTO or something or signing a minor-league/overseas deal, but it sure looks like a vast majority of these guys are more likely pursuing a route similar to Mikhail Grigorenko than Patrick Wiercioch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:36 pm 
King of Men

He's been well compensated over his career so its not so bad for Jarome but still sad to see him go out this way. I would like Calgary to float him an offer....unfortunately Calgary really doesn't need any more perimeter players and at this stage of his career Jarome doesn't have the legs or the will to get dirty. Jagr is a better option IMO. It would be hard to give a roster spot to an aging vet who is on the way out. For every vet who goes out in a blaze of glory there is 10 more who got out this way.

Yakupov......yeah... well its worth a few bucks. As you say he's probably out mid season but you never know.

Terrible news on Zadorov....perhaps the Yakupov signing was an incentive. Avs D is in shambles. Wouldn't want to tend net there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:08 pm 

One reason for hope...a young guy who has, understandably, flown under the radar in the midst of talents like Laine and Matthews taking up all the highlight reel space.

Mikko Rantanen is in so many ways exactly what the Avalanche need, a big, sturdy, talented scorer who can get the job done at both ends of the ice. I'm not sure where exactly he'll serve best. The Avs used him mostly at wing but he played a lot of center his rookie year in the AHL. Looks like he can work with just about anyone, I'm guessing they'll keep him with MacKinnon and possibly Landeskog (or Andrighetto) on the top line.

Still managing to net 20 goals on the worst NHL club in the modern era has to count for something right?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:19 pm 

This organization is such a fucking joke

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2017/7/1 ... y-for-cska

Quote:
Shevchenko: But you still don’t have a contract with Colorado.

Zadorov: This is true. The negotiations are in progress and I’m constantly in contact with my agent. There are some contradictions.
Shevchenko: Concerning what?

Zadorov: I’m not going to disclose anything or tell you the numbers. But we have reached an agreement on the length of the contract.
Shevchenko: Is it going to be a long contract?

Zadorov: It’s a bridge deal. The term is two years.
Shevchenko: There have been talks that you might go back to Russia.

Zadorov: I’m waiting for the Avalanche’s decision. I have decided for myself that I’m ready to wait until the end of July. But I want stability. If we don’t come to an agreement, I will play for CSKA.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:56 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

What's happening with Duchene? Paralysis by analysis?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:51 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
What's happening with Duchene? Paralysis by analysis?

Honestly, no idea. I imagine unless someone steps up with the kind of sky-high offer Sakic is demanding that Matty will start the season in Colorado. I really wish the Avs would just admit they aren't finding the right offers and more or less announce they're done shopping him. Doesn't mean a trade won't happen at that point, but at least Duchene won't be playing wondering if he'll be wearing a different uniform the next night.

Don't know if Duchene's marriage and honeymoon played a factor at all, but that's all done with so it's a moot point now.

Right now the Avs are pretty okay up front but have some gaping holes on the blueline. If the season were to start today they'd be dressing at least two rookies, maybe three. So it's obvious they're leaving that spot open and overloaded on forwards because they still anticipate a deal. I actually hope the roster stays as is and they just start this way, even with the rookies there. But as of right now the Avs are, once again, in a holding pattern.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:10 pm 

The Curious Case of Duncan Siemens continues... iiam:

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/aval ... -290392432

I honestly cannot remember the last time an organization held onto a busted prospect for this long. It's been six years since he was taken 11th overall in 2011. So strange that the team refuses to boot him and yet also refuses to really give him a good long look at the NHL level, even last season when all was lost by the end of 2016. Dude has absolutely ZERO puck skill but still skates well and can throw a good check, which already puts him ahead of the Corpse of Francois Beauchemin.

Oh, and Gabriel Bourque and some guy named Felix also signed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:00 am 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
The Curious Case of Duncan Siemens continues... iiam:

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/aval ... -290392432

I honestly cannot remember the last time an organization held onto a busted prospect for this long. It's been six years since he was taken 11th overall in 2011. So strange that the team refuses to boot him and yet also refuses to really give him a good long look at the NHL level, even last season when all was lost by the end of 2016. Dude has absolutely ZERO puck skill but still skates well and can throw a good check, which already puts him ahead of the Corpse of Francois Beauchemin.

In Red Wings management-land that's just called overripening your prospects.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdis ... ?pid=96573

1 year of juniors and 7 more mostly in Grand Rapids. The pick was almost universally pannned given that Markstrom was still on the board.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:14 am 

Travis Jost speculates that Colorado's growing discontent with Matt Duchene may have something to do with Gabriel Landeskog.

http://www.tsn.ca/talent/duchene-and-la ... o-1.812303

This is a really good piece--I've always felt that perhaps Duchene should possibly be switched to wing full time. He has had his best stretches when paired with linemates who can switch off at the C position with him (Ryan O'Reilly, Tomas Fleischmann has been his best two linemates to date). Paired with a guy like Landeskog, who plays a lot in the corners and along the walls (like Duchene does) it's not surprising the two of them haven't clicked.

I also wonder if MacKinnon would be best as a winger as well. I don't think he's as much like a winger as Duchene is, but he's also had his very best performances in the NHL and the World Cup as a RW.

It would be a very weird looking lineup if they tried it but it's actually possible with the players they currently have.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:00 pm 

In news that surprises no one, former DU Pioneer, Hobey Baker winner, and 2017 NCAA champion star defender Will "the" Butcher will not sign a contract with the Avs and test the free agent market.

http://www.eurolanche.com/article.php?id=9818

I wish him well. He is, IMO, a long shot for the NHL, but he had as good a finish to his collegiate run as one could possibly ask for. While the organization seemed to mishandle him a little not long after drafting him (Patrick Roy made it pretty clear he had no intention of signing the guy) I'm not sure this situation could have been avoided. He wouldn't even be the Avs' fourth-best defensive prospect at this point so it's probably best for him to try someplace where he has a better chance of making the team.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
In news that surprises no one, former DU Pioneer, Hobey Baker winner, and 2017 NCAA champion star defender Will "the" Butcher will not sign a contract with the Avs and test the free agent market.

http://www.eurolanche.com/article.php?id=9818

I wish him well. He is, IMO, a long shot for the NHL, but he had as good a finish to his collegiate run as one could possibly ask for. While the organization seemed to mishandle him a little not long after drafting him (Patrick Roy made it pretty clear he had no intention of signing the guy) I'm not sure this situation could have been avoided. He wouldn't even be the Avs' fourth-best defensive prospect at this point so it's probably best for him to try someplace where he has a better chance of making the team.

Florida seems like a possible destination. DU teammates Borgstrom and Cowley are in the pipeline there, and they have a need for dmen. They could offer him a chance to jump into the NHL right away, although as you say, he may not have the ability to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:36 am 

The Markov situation better have put a real scare in Sakic and his cronies. If it hasn't then he's the dumbest man in the NHL.

I really think the Avs have completely fucked this up and Zadorov is gone. It should have been rectified by now, there is no excuse whatsoever for it to have dragged on for this long if the two sides are as supposedly close as they have been reporting.

The thing that REALLY irks me is that given the things Zads has been posting on social media, it really doesn't seem like it'd take much for him to stay. He's clearly using the KHL to drive up his price, and the Avs have absolutely NO leg to stand on, yet they continue to pretend that they do. But if they don't pay up then Z has at least a decent shot at the Olympics and more money to enjoy, maybe even wait things out until the Avs lose or trade away his rights, then come back to a much better deal in all aspects.

The only thing this is succeeding in doing is distracting from the even more insufferable situation surrounding Matt Duchene.

NHL Radio is handing out GM grades. One guy gave the Avs an F and the other an "R," which I guess is given out in Ontario schools, it's actually worse. I think they were being kind. Right now Joe Sakic is the worst GM in the National Hockey League. Even Jim fucking Benning knows how to negotiate a deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:35 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

So what are the latest rumors on Duchene? I've heard Sakic is asking for so much he'll never move him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:18 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
So what are the latest rumors on Duchene? I've heard Sakic is asking for so much he'll never move him.

Pretty much. I think Sakic is way, WAY too caught up in the optics of the deal more than the actual deal itself. I think a deal has to be made at this point or some serious mea culpa-ing from Sakic will have to take place. It's clear he was gearing up for a Duchene deal given how many forwards the team has vs. how few players they have signed on the blueline, but a deal hasn't materialized, and rumor has it Sakic isn't even putting up counter-offers. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:46 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Pretty much. I think Sakic is way, WAY too caught up in the optics of the deal more than the actual deal itself. I think a deal has to be made at this point or some serious mea culpa-ing from Sakic will have to take place. It's clear he was gearing up for a Duchene deal given how many forwards the team has vs. how few players they have signed on the blueline, but a deal hasn't materialized, and rumor has it Sakic isn't even putting up counter-offers. :roll:

That's pretty much what I heard too. Or he has certain players he demands in return and won't negotiate changing them. He supposedly wanted Barzal from the Isles and Snow said no, how about xxxxxxxxx and Sakic said only Barzal (plus a 1st or whatever else he wanted), but the point is he would only take Barzal. Who knows if any of that is true, but I've heard it a few places.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:33 pm 

Yep, I heard the same thing. He wants a top-four defender, high-end prospect or player, and a pick, and he's not budging from that price. I certainly wouldn't give that up for Matt Duchene, and I'm one of #9's biggest fans. He's a tremendous talent, great mix of speed, skill, and grit, but he's also got certain quirks to his game that don't make him one of those centers you can just plug in wherever and have him work. And then there's the slightly concerning injury history (it's not bad but going forward I wonder if he'll hit that fragile stage kinda like Stamkos suddenly has).

Either way, Sakic is dealing from a position of extreme weakness. Everyone knows he pretty much has to get a deal done or eat some serious crow, and Duchene himself is coming off the worst year of his career. He isn't just trying to "win" a potential Duchene trade, he wants a home run. The only way that happens is if the Isles stumble out of the gate and Snow completely panics.

In other news, Dater is reporting the Avs are offering something like $2 million per to Zadorov and he's asking for something around $3.5. If that's true, this franchise deserve to crash and burn for the next ten years. :evil: Brian Dumolin put up almost identical numbers to Zadorov (Zads happens to be a little younger and of course is on a FAR lousier team) and earned himself roughly $4 million per year.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:13 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Yep, I heard the same thing. He wants a top-four defender, high-end prospect or player, and a pick, and he's not budging from that price. I certainly wouldn't give that up for Matt Duchene, and I'm one of #9's biggest fans. He's a tremendous talent, great mix of speed, skill, and grit, but he's also got certain quirks to his game that don't make him one of those centers you can just plug in wherever and have him work. And then there's the slightly concerning injury history (it's not bad but going forward I wonder if he'll hit that fragile stage kinda like Stamkos suddenly has).

Either way, Sakic is dealing from a position of extreme weakness. Everyone knows he pretty much has to get a deal done or eat some serious crow, and Duchene himself is coming off the worst year of his career. He isn't just trying to "win" a potential Duchene trade, he wants a home run. The only way that happens is if the Isles stumble out of the gate and Snow completely panics.

In other news, Dater is reporting the Avs are offering something like $2 million per to Zadorov and he's asking for something around $3.5. If that's true, this franchise deserve to crash and burn for the next ten years. :evil: Brian Dumolin put up almost identical numbers to Zadorov (Zads happens to be a little younger and of course is on a FAR lousier team) and earned himself roughly $4 million per year.

Agreed all around.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next