OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:34 am 
King of Men

:bandwagon: All aboard citizens and news outlets of Denver! Haven't seen this much Avs coverage in years!

Sadly the game wasn't even on radio in the car on Saturday night......it was the St Louis broadcast......... :steamingpileofcrap:

Maybe it will get this town back into hockey for a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Bernier and MacKinnon not practicing... :nar: :aaa: :o :fffffuck:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Pretty excited about Girard going forward. Kid has wheels and smarts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:23 pm 

Okay...MacKinnon just got a day off. The shitting of pants in the Denver Metro Area can now cease. No word on what's going on with Bernier but haven't heard anything bad, so...

What's surprising to me about Girard is that he isn't a big guy by any means but can level hits like a big guy. He's making highlight reels because of his supreme puckhandling and skating skills but defensively he is extraordinarily sound. Immensely smart player. I have to keep reminding myself he is NINETEEN.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:37 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
What's surprising to me about Girard is that he isn't a big guy by any means but can level hits like a big guy. He's making highlight reels because of his supreme puckhandling and skating skills but defensively he is extraordinarily sound. Immensely smart player. I have to keep reminding myself he is NINETEEN.

A bit like Brian Campbell?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:50 pm 

E.L. wrote:
A bit like Brian Campbell?

If he turns out that well I'll be thrilled. I still don't think Soupy got the appreciation he deserves.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:43 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Andrew Hammond !!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:45 am 

A common thought that either Friedman or LeBrun touched upon during the season and really picked up steam with all these teams whose season wrapped the past couple days is that Colorado's resurgence has everyone thinking "If they can do it, so can we." What seems to be glossed over every time though is that Colorado, horrible as they were, didn't have a lot of really awful players locked up to long-term contracts. Those awful players were simply dumped during the 2017 offseason. The only two guys handed their walking papers were Francois Beauchemin, who was bought out shortly before the expansion draft, and Joe Colborne, who was waived and then pretty much "bubble wrapped" for the final year of his contract. Everyone else simply wasn't retained. That was roughly half the roster that was replaced. And of those castoffs, I'm pretty sure only one (Beauchemin) got another job in the league. And frankly he shouldn't be there, but is being buoyed by talent around (and behind) him. I don't see such wondrous turnarounds happening with some of these other teams so easily. That and I guess they don't have a Nathan MacKinnon ready to scorch the league either.

Also, it is indeed very possible the Avs come back to earth next season. I can't imagine it would be as hard a thud as previous seasons, but the Central is gonna be an absolute bloodbath next season, because there isn't a single team in the division pulling the plug or set to take a giant step back. Even Minnesota, whose window appears to be closing and fast, is still at least going to be very competitive for the next couple years or so.

I'm just going to enjoy this run however long it lasts. I don't want them to make any ridiculous forays into free agency (but...y'know, at least call John Tavares's agent and just see what's doable), but see if there's anything out there that might help both short- and long-term. Also, the answer as to who minds the net beyond the final year of Varly's deal will need to be addressed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:48 am 

Logical Progression wrote:
Andrew Hammond !!!!!!!!

Yeah I keep forgetting he was part of the deal too. For a while the Avs didn't even have a place to put him in the minors so they "loaned" him to Ottawa's AHL affiliate. And he's actually come in handy to my surprise. I was pushing for the Avs to deal him away for a low pick, but in hindsight, that wouldn't have been worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:48 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
A common thought that either Friedman or LeBrun touched upon during the season and really picked up steam with all these teams whose season wrapped the past couple days is that Colorado's resurgence has everyone thinking "If they can do it, so can we." What seems to be glossed over every time though is that Colorado, horrible as they were, didn't have a lot of really awful players locked up to long-term contracts.

Did they also gloss over the fact that Colorado had a TON of really high draft picks over the years to get to this point? You don't just all of the sudden have all of those high end picks.

EJ 1st (acquired)
Mack 1st
Landeskog 2nd
Duchene 3rd
Jost 10th
Rantanen 10th

Not to mentioned other 1st rounders acquired, bust status or not like Varlamov, Nail, Zadorov, Wilson, Bernier. And Siemens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:12 pm 

Yep, absolutely true. Forgot that Varly was a 1st rounder. He of course also cost a 1st rounder (Filip Forsberg, who the Avs get to face off against starting Thursday...oh joy).

Oh and let's not forget Nail Yakupov!!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:52 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Yep, absolutely true. Forgot that Varly was a 1st rounder. He of course also cost a 1st rounder (Filip Forsberg, who the Avs get to face off against starting Thursday...oh joy).

Oh and let's not forget Nail Yakupov!!!

Which "Nail" did you think I was referring to ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:37 am 

Bosc wrote:
Which "Nail" did you think I was referring to ;)

Whoops.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:58 am 

Sort of an End of an Era.

Steven Reinprecht, the last active player from the 2001 Stanley Cup Champion Colorado Avalanche team, announced his retirement from hockey at the age of 41. He had been playing the last six seasons in Germany for the Nürnberg Ice Tigers. According to someone on HF they're going to retire his #28. I always liked the guy, good little player who carved out one hell of an NHL career despite never being drafted.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:07 pm 

Well, good season boys. Time to begin the offseason.

Looks like the Avs have already made one move, and it's a good one. Jared Bednar gets a one-year extension. His current deal only ran through the 2018-19 season.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2018/4/2 ... ce=twitter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 215 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11