OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Avs trade Cody McLeod
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:06 pm 
Big in Japan

The longtime Av (since 2007!) goes to Nashville in exchange for minor leaguer Felix Girard.

Quote:
‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 21m21 minutes ago
Pierre LeBrun Retweeted TSN Hockey
FYI the Avs retain 40 percent of McLoed's salary/cap hit. He has another year on his deal next season at $1.33 M cap hit

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:06 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Well at least they did SOMETHING. Sad that it took this long for them to put together any sort of trade and it was basically the NHL transaction equivalent of a popcorn fart. And...really? Nashville?

Cody has been a very loyal soldier for a very long time, a guy who's literally bled for the organization many times. And really, as far as a guy whose job it was to wreak havoc on the forecheck and serve as a capable middleweight fighter, he was more than adequate. I'm sure the Avs brain trust at the time wanted to reward that dedication with a multi-year deal following Roy's first year as coach. But that was a big mistake. You just don't extend career fourth-liners who play a rough-and-tumble a game as Cody does that long and especially past 30. The bottom really fell out of his game this year (though not nearly as bad as it did for Francois Beauchemin).

I wish The Highlander well...but in the end it is perhaps most damning of Rick Pracey and his drafting record that the Avs couldn't even develop a viable replacement for him in all the years he served. It should be relatively easy to pump a big, tough, grinder. The best they could come up with was Brad Malone and Mitchell Heard.

My fears that Joe Sakic simply isn't cut out to be an NHL GM are ever-increasing as this nightmare season continues to unfold.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:58 am 
King of Men

And he fought Jarome Iginla the very next game........and scored a goal! I watched that game and that fight clearly showed the 2 weren't fans of each other.

Having been the first Avs game I have watched in quite some time. Iginla needs to retire......he's not hard on the puck anymore (not that he ever really was), he's slower then ever and he's really just cherry picking. It saddens me to see him hanging on so. Hopefully the Avs can ship him off to Chicago and wash their hands. I'd still like to see him retire a Flame.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/135872

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:05 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
And he fought Jarome Iginla the very next game........and scored a goal! I watched that game and that fight clearly showed the 2 weren't fans of each other.

Having been the first Avs game I have watched in quite some time. Iginla needs to retire......he's not hard on the puck anymore (not that he ever really was), he's slower then ever and he's really just cherry picking. It saddens me to see him hanging on so. Hopefully the Avs can ship him off to Chicago and wash their hands. I'd still like to see him retire a Flame.

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/135872

The Avs will most undoubtedly trade him at or near the deadline. And I'm fairly certain that'll be Jarome's final run in an NHL uniform. He's clearly done. Isn't good for much more than ripping one-timers on the power play.

That'll be the easy part. Finding takers for guys like Francois Beauchemin and Blake Comeau where Joe Sakic proves his worth.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:33 pm 

Oh, and I should say that it may be telling that Cody and Iggy went at it. I think the relationship between #12 and the organization is tense to say the least. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but I know Iggy was no fan of Roy's. But unfortunately, Iggy also has floundered badly under Bednar as well.

Not here to throw Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis under the bus of course. He can't help the fact that he's nearly 40 years old and looks like it on the ice. That's largely a failure of management and scouting that they couldn't figure out that throwing this much money and term at an old fart, no matter how good he might have been, is rarely ever a good idea. But hey, if the situation with Iggy hasn't taught them that, the outright disaster with Beauchemin definitely drove the point home. Apparently Sakic has gone on record saying he'll never, ever go after a free agent over the age of 35 ever again. Too bad it took three consecutive failures for him to realize this.