OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Elliotte reports the Avs have been given permission to speak to Kyle Dubas. Lanche about to get saved.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:23 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
Elliotte reports the Avs have been given permission to speak to Kyle Dubas. Lanche about to get saved.

Holy shit.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:06 am 

I think Poke's pants just tented.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 1:19 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
I think Poke's pants just tented.

Damn straight.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:59 pm 

BTW, I'm not optimistic they will snag him from Toronto. I think he's got a good thing going with the Leafs, and it'll take decent $$$ and a very high level of control (speculation on my part but that's what I'd want) for him to take on what will most assuredly be a huge challenge in Denver. Not sure the Avs will deliver on either of those fronts, but we'll see.

If indeed they snag Dubas that would be a HUGE dynamic shift in Denver. The Avs already have an analytics team, and they no doubt had a voice (I'm positive they played a part in Patrick Wiercioch coming to CO) but with Dubas analytics would be front and center. What part Sakic and McFarland play in that sort of front office I have no idea, but I can't imagine Dubas would come to CO for a similar role, it would have to be a "promotion" of some sort.

For what it's worth, Dater wrote a short piece on Dubas.

http://bsndenver.com/is-30-year-old-kyl ... lanche-gm/

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:12 pm 
King of the One-Liner

The Avs offer a lot of young talent and a low expectation starting point to build from. Sure they have holes as all none cup contenders d but would think it is a great opportunity for a new GM.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 12:16 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
The Avs offer a lot of young talent and a low expectation starting point to build from. Sure they have holes as all none cup contenders d but would think it is a great opportunity for a new GM.

Yeah, I think despite their abysmal low this year there is a ton of possibility, and there's only by my count two real albatross contracts that last beyond 2018. The team is still very young, they've just gotta figure out how to get a legit top defender (and maybe a goalie) into the lineup.

Some parting thoughts from Tim Army. He pretty much nails what ultimately killed the Avs this season: They were too slow.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/24/ti ... assistant/

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:54 pm 

Such a strange week it's been in Av-dom. We go from absolutely NOTHING happening to seemingly everything happening.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2017/ ... e-friedman

To note: Three assistants (Army, Allaire, and Farrish) are not returning for the season. No big surprises, and it's also not surprising that the Avs are in talks to bring in Jussi Parkkila, Semyon Varlamov's old goalie coach, to be Allaire's replacement.

The Avs reportedly asked for permission to speak with Kyle Dubas, and it was indicated that this would not be for an AGM position, that it would be for the main job. What this means for Joe Sakic, I've no idea. In the end, Toronto apparently changed their minds and will get Dubas to re-up if he hasn't already.

Avs are looking for an assistant coach with some power play experience, since Tim Army failed miserably to get the power play to work in his many seasons with the club despite some pretty damned good talent at his disposal. Why it took so long for them to come to a decision on him indicates to me the dithering and indecision behind the scenes. I also think there are way, WAY too many cooks in the kitchen at the Pepsi Center. It feels like the Leafs pre-Shanahan.

Also, a decision still needs to be made on Matt Duchene, but I doubt that'll happen until after the expansion draft.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:27 pm 

Oh, and I was remiss in relaying this bit of news, which is not directly Avs-related but big news nonetheless, and it happened while I was still in CO.

http://www.westword.com/news/terry-frei ... st-9107232

For as long as I can remember the Avalanche being in town the Post had two sportswriters covering them: Adrian Dater and Terry Frei. Dater was forced to resign in recent years because of some not-so-kosher online behavior, and now unfortunately it looks like Frei is gone for the same reason, though not the same circumstances.

If you are not familiar with the whole fiasco and don't wish to hit the link, it's like this: Frei, whose father flew missions in the Pacific in WWII, tweeted that he was "uncomfortable" with the notion of a Japanese man (Takuma Sato) winning the Indianapolis 500. It was an idiotic and horribly racist thing to say, especially for a guy as educated and intelligent as Frei, and while he apparently deleted the tweet not long after he posted it, the damage was done. He made an apology, but not before he retweeted someone else who seemed to try and vindicate his willful ignorance, but the Post moved quickly and gave him the axe.

So now...it's Mike Chambers as the last man standing. He doesn't bother me too much but more than a few Avs fans can't stand him. I'm sure they'll also use Mark Kizsla (UGH) to swoop in with an occasional polarizing column that's not really based in fact to drive up clicks and speculation.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:16 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Twitter really does allow people to show how stupid they are.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:52 pm 

Oh and here's a clip from the PPP article about Dubas that is about as damning of the current COL brain trust as anything I've read elsewhere:

Quote:
At the IIHF World Championships just last week, Avs fans (of whom I consider myself to partially be one still) watched as the centre the Avs invested a lot of cap space in, Carl Söderberg, was cut from the gold-medal winning Swedish team. So maybe he wasn’t having that great a tournament after his bad season. It happens. The kicker, however, was his replacement.

One of those AHL players the Avs lost last year was Dennis Everberg. After playing most of a season in the NHL, he ended up in the AHL, and chose to go back to Sweden rather than hang around an organization that didn’t seem to have room for him. He was a star in the SHL, and he signed a KHL contract this summer. And he was the man who replaced Söderberg on the third line and helped win a medal.

That did not look good for the men in Denver who had made the opposite choices. And at some point, everyone, fans included, has to stop assuming every bad decision was made by Patrick Roy.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:10 pm 
Big in Japan

Who the hell in America in 2017 is still hung up about the Japanese? Terry needs to put down the history books for a minute.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:57 am 
King of Men

E.L. wrote:
Who the hell in America in 2017 is still hung up about the Japanese? Terry needs to put down the history books for a minute.

Better not go to Pearl Harbor and see all the Japanese tourists grinning and taking pictures. His panties will surely be in a knot then. Social media strikes again!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:16 pm 

Avs still finding ways to disappoint and/or otherwise frustrate their fanbase, and of course, they pick topics and times when that fanbase dares to hope for something good.

1. Not a huge deal, but the Avs uniforms, IMO one of the best of the '90s, was changed to some armpit-striped garbage (affectionately known as the "unipron") when the switch to the EDGE jerseys was made. Well, another switch is happening and the Avs are one of many teams taking advantage, doing a complete overhaul of their current look. Unfortunately that means they either had to ditch their current third jerseys, as none will be allowed the first year of this introduction, or adopt the thirds as the basis for the new look. A lot of fans were on board with the latter idea, as the new third jerseys were about the ONLY thing that looked good in the 2016-17 season. All we know is that the jerseys will retain the current logo and that burgundy will be the primary color.

But alas...the Avs are sticking with their current main logo, which, as far as 90s-era logos go, is pretty cool, but is looking terribly dated at this point. Time to put the past in the past, folks.

2. Avs have also entered Lacroix-era radio silence in regards to the upcoming expansion draft. The only thing we know for certain is that they'll be protecting Semyon Varlamov, which means there's a decent chance Calvin Pickard will be selected. Picks isn't a fantastic goalie by any means, but he's reliable enough as a backup and signed to a reasonable contract. Other than that, the Avs have steadfastly refused to say whom they will and will not protect, and whether they even asked players with the dreaded NMC to waive. It'd be a shame to lose Mark Barberio because they were too scared to even bother asking Francois fucking Beauchemin to waive his NMC. That or they asked and he refused. Unfortunately they DID say they would not buy out the final year of Beauchemin's horrendous contract, which means he either heads to Vegas or torments Avs fandom with another year of molasses-slow skating and shitty defense.

My guess, Beauchemin will be protected, but that other, even bigger albatross, Carl Soderberg, will not. Unfortunately, no way in hell would the Boogie Knights take on that contract, so that leaves guys like Sven Andrighetto and Mikhail Grigorenko up for grabs. If they opt for the latter, no big loss. If they take guys like Andrighetto, Nieto, or the aforementioned Barberio, that's gonna kinda suck.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:05 pm 

*happy dance*

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/15/av ... th-buyout/

Still strange though...I guess there was NO chance of it happening but why not ask if he's willing to waive?

Incidentally is there a buyout window following the expansion draft? If not I can see why they did this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:52 pm 

Interesting.

https://twitter.com/Avalanche/status/87 ... 6page%3D29

So far we know the new look will be burgundy and the classic blue as opposed to the darkened navy from the current third jerseys. Avs are also keeping the nameplates and fonts exactly the same, guessing the numbers will stay as well. As mentioned before, the 90s-era "A" logo will remain the team's primary logo.

Just PLEASE give them a better look than the last "update". Those jerseys were so awful it more or less has kept me from buying an Avs sweater the last 10 years.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:10 pm 

OH! Forgot in my hockey depression to mention two big news items regarding the Colorado Eagles (i.e., the only good pro hockey team in the state).

First, My ECHL Team is better than your stoopid ECHL Team.

http://www.reporterherald.com/sports/ci ... -kelly-cup

Somewhat ironic, the Eagles faced off against the South Carolina Stingrays in the ECHL Final, which happens to be Jared Bednar's old team.

Also, they might be getting a bit of a promotion.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/14/co ... affiliate/

It'd be cool to see the AHL in Colorado, and the Eagles have been by all accounts wildly successful in Windsor/Loveland. I've only been to the Budweiser Event Center once to see a concert, but it's a beautiful facility. Someday I will get out there to see an Eagles game.

The fact that it's far-removed from Denver is one reason why it's been so successful. They've tried twice now to drum up interest in minor league hockey in the metro area (The Rocky Mountain Rage, and later the Denver Cutthroats) and both have failed rather quickly. I still think it's possible, but I think the parent club has to get back on track first.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:40 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
The fact that it's far-removed from Denver is one reason why it's been so successful. They've tried twice now to drum up interest in minor league hockey in the metro area (The Rocky Mountain Rage, and later the Denver Cutthroats) and both have failed rather quickly. I still think it's possible, but I think the parent club has to get back on track first.

It's funny that you say far-removed. Looks to be an hour drive on Google(I don't know the traffic).

There have been days driving in fucking Toronto where it could take you an hour to get from the Air Canada Center where the Leafs play to the Ricoh where the Marlies play. 3.5km away.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Air+Cana ... 43.6356272

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:56 pm 

Expansion protected list released.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2017/6/1 ... ected-list

No big surprises, though some inclusions/exclusions worth raising an eyebrow over.

Quote:
Protected

MacKinnon
Landeskog
Duchene
Grimaldi
Comeau
Andrighetto
Nieto
Johnson
Barrie
Zadorov
Varlamov

Exposed (and signed)

Colborne
Soderberg
Barberio
Pickard

Exposed NHL RFA/UFA

Grigorenko
Weircioch
Rene Bourque
Mitchell
Tyutin
Goloubef

Exposed AHL RFA/UFA

Jeremy Smith
Felix Girard
Brendan Ranford
Joe Cannata
Mat Clark
Jim O’Brien
Eric Gelinas
Mike Sislo
Turner Elson
Troy Bourke
Sam Henley
Gabe Bourque
Duncan Siemens

A lot of people thought Nieto and/or Andrighetto stood a good chance at staying exposed, but the Avs opted to protect both. Fans are most upset over the decision to retain Blake Comeau.

I think it has to do with this...

Me, I would've been far more irritated had they chosen to protect Grigorenko or Soda-float. I would LOVE for Vegas to take Soderberg and his terrible contract off the Avs' hands, but I doubt that'll happen. More than likely the guy who leaves will either be D-man Mark Barberio, backup netminder Calvin Pickard, or both. If I had to choose it'd probably be Pickard. Good (but not great) backup on a cheap deal. He'd be fine filling if/when Fleury hits one of his usual skids.

I'll be super-bummed if, after all the time and effort the Avs have put into developing Duncan Siemens into a worthwhile player, that he ends up going to Vegas.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:46 am 

Some Entry Draft talk with Avs draft guy Alan Hepple.

http://bsndenver.com/are-the-avs-zeroin ... ale-makar/

In short, the Avs really, really like defenseman Cale Makar, but not at all opposed to taking D Miro Heiskanen with their pick. If neither are available by the time they're up they might trade down. Ultimately though they're taking the best player available no matter what. If it's a forward than it's all but guaranteed that Matt Duchene is a goner.

I'd like for them to take Heiskanen, however beyond Hischier/Patrick the picks in a lot of mock drafts have fluctuated wildly. I suppose that speaks to the relative meh-ness of this draft class. Some have them taking Heiskanen, some have them taking Cody Glass, Makar, etc.

Ultimately I don't really care who they get so long as they don't strike out in the lower rounds.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next