OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:44 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

This is a quote from someone on HF. Seems like the Avs, despite public statements to the contrary, knew how bad they were going to be this year.

Quote:
François Gagnon (RDS) said on the radio two days ago that he had a conversation Saturday, with someone inside the Avs Org. He said that the Avs took the decision over the summer that this year will be a transition year (he used the term: wasted year). The Avs dont want to bring anyone up from the AHL unless they know they are 100% ready to be in the NHL AND they think it's best for young players to be in the minor, in a good atmosphere, insted of being with the Avs.

Everyone are on the same Page , Jared Bednar is taking this "transition year" to get used to the NHL and the Avs players.
They have a plan and the plan will start next season when some of the "questionnable" contrats will be off the book (Iginla...). They know they made mistakes in the past but they learned from them and are following the plan.

I dunno though, I don't think it would destroy some of these players to get a sizable bit of game action at the NHL level. Right now San Antonio is banged up to hell and playing with an ECHL roster. That doesn't seem like an ideal place to be developing talent. A.J. Greer did not disappoint in his limited time with the big guys. And sooner or later the Avs are going to HAVE to see what they have in Duncan Siemens. I fail to see how in the world he could be any worse than Eric Gelinas or Francois Beauchemin. There is no saving this season, but you can make some friggin' effort to improve the team NOW. There'll still be a nice draft pick waiting either way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:44 pm 
King of the One-Liner

I guess it is possible could just be throwing the players on the way out under the bus as an after the fact excuse as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:26 pm 

Well, I can't imagine Sakic would be trying to parlay this into some kind of PR face-saving move. Pierre Lacroix most definitely did stuff like that, but I don't think Sakic would. And besides, he's still the GM on record who signed three veteran players who were well on the decline before they ever stepped foot onto Pepsi Center ice in burgundy, so it's still on him. Not many of us fans are really blaming Stuart, Beauchemin, and Iginla for sucking because they're old. Soderberg, on the other hand, has no excuse. He just sucks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:49 am 
King of the One-Liner

That was an embarrassment last night, if it was to happen two weeks ago or two weeks later I would think you would see firings the day after.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:07 pm 

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2016/12/2 ... s-shots-go

Some Avs shooting stats. Basically, they don't shoot nearly enough.

Surprisingly, Carl Soderberg has a super-accurate shot. I've seen it in action, but seeing the stats here are still surprising. I still think they should shift him to the wing on either the top or 2nd line and just let him collect some points. Trying to keep him in a checking role at center is a waste of time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:49 am 

Another night, another loss. I've just kinda stopped paying attention.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:16 am 

Avs claim Matt Nieto off waivers from San Jose. Don't know much about him but I understand he's a reasonably good defensive forward with some speed and sandpaper. Well...if any of that is true he's more than welcome on this sad sack squad.

Rumors abounding right now that Gabriel Landeskog might be headed to Boston.

A guy who works the Avs beat for SB Nation said any questions regarding Beauchemin and his supreme suckiness are more or less being shut down.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:26 pm 

Matt Nieto will wear #83 for the Avs. It's the first time anyone in an Avs jersey has ever worn that particular number.

Other than that, no changes. Not sure who sits in place of Nieto. I'm guessing Colborne.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:25 am 

When a movable object meets a stoppable force, well, you have tonight's game between the Islanders and Avalanche.

MacKinnon wins it with seconds remaining in OT (on the POWER PLAY no less) to end Colorado's home loss streak at 10.

Matt Nieto made a decent impression in his Avs debut. Demolished Hamonic with an open ice hit, and drew a penalty shot, which he didn't score on but...man, the fact he drew a penalty at all was something new.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Pierre McGuire was talking about the Avalanche on Montreal radio yesterday.

Said Duchene isn't a leader and needs someone to follow.
Suggested Landeskog has a hip issue that's never going away.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:22 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Pierre McGuire was talking about the Avalanche on Montreal radio yesterday.

Said Duchene isn't a leader and needs someone to follow.
Suggested Landeskog has a hip issue that's never going away.

I don't buy that about Duchene--dude was about the ONLY player showing any sort of leadership at times the past few years. And he most certainly seemed like he gave a damn about the fans, unlike the rest of the organization that refused to interact or communicate with its own fanbase. And besides, there's plenty of "leadership," there's just jack shit for a supporting cast.

I think people have said in the fancy stats crowd that Landy's numbers have declined over the last few years. I don't know, to be honest. I hope he sticks around as he's about the only true two-way forward the Avs have left. And I certainly hope it's not true that he's got a chronic hip issue but given his style of play I wouldn't necessarily be surprised.

The "hot rumor" of late had the B's inquiring about Landeskog, then balking when Sakic reportedly demanded Brandon Carlo in return. As I understand it, Sakic's shopping just about everyone, which is fine. He absolutely SHOULD be doing just that. But if he gets rid of a core player before he divests the team of the garbage supporting cast, I'll pretty much throw the towel in on this organization.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:22 pm 

Ho-hum. Avs lose 4-1 to the Ducks last night. Typical of this season, they give up the first goal, keep it close for a bit, and then collapse in the 3rd.

I suppose I'll do a post-mortem on this season when it's all said and done, but I'm very much fearing the trade deadline. I think the Avs will end up making an extraordinarily stupid move that sets the organization back even further than it already has been.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:15 pm 

I don't think these guys are gonna win a game the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:31 pm 

I just read that this Avalanche team is on pace to be the worst since the expansion-year Atlanta Thrashers. Think about that. A Buffalo Sabres squad stripped as bare as a team can possibly get and still somehow manage to eke above the salary floor is set to be a much better team than this currently capped-out Avs squad.

I feel like Sakic is just dithering behind the scenes. He has absolutely NO idea how to fix this.

I said before they need to keep the core intact, but I'm questioning that now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:27 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Kind of crazy that a team with Mackinnon, Duchene, Landeskog, and Barrie scores this little. If I was going to guess that the Avs would be this bad I would have imagined a lot of high scoring losses.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 2:00 pm 

hammer wrote:
Kind of crazy that a team with Mackinnon, Duchene, Landeskog, and Barrie scores this little. If I was going to guess that the Avs would be this bad I would have imagined a lot of high scoring losses.

I wouldn't think so either but that's what happens when you have a squad as slow and soft as this one. That and I still can't for the life of me fathom why they continue to misuse Soderberg. I can't stand the guy personally but one thing he does well is shoot with unerring accuracy. So stick him on a scoring line as a wing and have him FUCKING SHOOT. But no, they're still busy trying to use him as a checking line center, which he has shown neither the ability nor the desire.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:30 pm 

Last night, wherein the Avs responded to a loss to the Sharks in SJ by allowing 37-year-old Patrick Marleau to score four goals in the third period IN THEIR OWN BUILDING was pretty much the last straw for me. These guys don't care anymore. Why should I?

I am now in the process of doing something I've been thinking about for a while...shedding my Avs fandom.

I'm not going to burn my jerseys or anything, but I've always quietly said that I'm a hockey fan first, Avs fan second. But I haven't really, actually, taken the plunge. Being an Avs fan is costing me the opportunity to be a hockey fan. I'm missing out on one of the best rookie debuts ever in Auston Matthews because of this, and I don't want to do it any longer. I want to enjoy good hockey no matter where it comes from. So...while it's not like I can just snap my fingers and just not be an Avs fan anymore, but I've been wanting to do this for a while now. Present circumstances are hastening that process.

I think I might try...once again...to get the fucking hockey/sports blog I've been wanting to write and maintain for ages but have never had the time/energy to do so. Can't settle on a name. My last aborted try was "Participation Trophy" but given the ridiculously negative perception of that particular term I don't think I'll be resurrecting that one. I'll try a title that perhaps makes an offhand reference to my own abilities as a player (soft, undersized, weak point shot, no offensive creativity, very strong poke-check, does not teeter on skates).

That said, I don't think I'll be completely "divorced" from the Avs, but I just can't keep watching this shitshow on a daily basis any longer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:19 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Sorry man. I've been there. When you care more than the team themselves do. Or at least feel that way. It sucks.

Press Box All Star works in a way for your blog title, since you'd be an unofficial member of the press, but joking about being in the press box... So it's got a pun. You like puns!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:36 pm 
Big in Japan

Avs tanking at an impressive rate: 18 pts in their first 18 games, 10 pts since.

Not a great year to win the lottery: Nolan Patrick is fine but not a franchise player.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:13 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Avs tanking at an impressive rate: 18 pts in their first 18 games, 10 pts since.

Not a great year to win the lottery: Nolan Patrick is fine but not a franchise player.

Dude. Piss in his coffee, why don'tcha?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next