OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:45 pm 
Big in Japan

If the chatter is indeed true about Grigo's age, he should be in his prime right now: 27-28 years old!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:57 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:
If the chatter is indeed true about Grigo's age, he should be in his prime right now: 27-28 years old!

That's crazy if he is indeed that old. Makes all the fuss about "rushing" him into the NHL in Buffalo kinda moot.

Dude teased everyone big-time with a very promising preseason. He's got all the tools and the toolbox as well, but is ultimately too soft and disinterested to be a consistent player.

To be honest Sakic should be fired solely for signing Joe Colborne when he already had Mikhail Grigorenko. They're pretty much the same exact player.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:54 pm 

The Avs couldn't dump Beauchemin at the deadline, but they found at least one way to stick it to him--they stripped him of the 'A' the other night. A final, and perhaps fitting, humiliation.

Ironically, he scored the GWG against the Devils.

It's safe to say he's headed for buyoutville.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:23 pm 

Since the deadline, Matty Duchene has had zero points and a -8 rating.

Pretty sure this relationship is irreparable. And the Avs have no one to blame but themselves.

Sakic needs to go. So do Farrish, Billington, and Army.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:08 pm 

https://twitter.com/RickS7/status/84173 ... wsrc%5Etfw

Quote:
#Avs Lindholm to make NHL debut tomorrow, paired with Beauchemin #Avalanche Pickard starts #Redwings

Geez, talk about throwin' a guy in the deep end...

I have absolutely NO FUCKING CLUE what this organization is doing with Duncan Siemens. A former 11th overall pick, he played two largely forgettable, injury-riddled seasons in the AHL and got passed up on the depth chart, yet the Avs steadfastly refuse to give him up via trade or FA, but also refuse to see what they have in him. They passed "what have you got to lose" territory a loooooong time ago. And while he has no puck skill to speak of, he's a physical presence and unlike a lot of Avs d-men, can actually skate.

But hey, at least they're trying SOMETHING now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:48 pm 

Boy, if anyone didn't think the rivalry was dead, the Avs' 3-1 victory over the Wings the other night pretty much cemented it.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/15/co ... red-wings/

Duchene finally scores for the first time in 11 games and looks more relieved than happy afterwards.

Athanasiou scores the lone goal for the Wings, on a breakaway of course.

Avs have gone from historically God-awful to merely terrible since the return of Erik Johnson. They still remain miles behind the 29th place Coyotes and have 20 victories in 69 games thus far, a lot of which they've picked up in recent weeks. That should tell you just how bad they've been this year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:46 pm 

Not that it was ever in doubt, but the Avs have officially secured DEAD LAST in the league with last night's loss to the Blooz.

I deleted my NHL app and unfollowed pretty much all Avs-related stuff on Twitter. That's how bad it got this season.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:06 pm 
Big in Japan

The Avs may have found a diamond in the rough in Sven Andrighetto, or the next DSP. 11 points in 13 games so far.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:03 pm 

E.L. wrote:
The Avs may have found a diamond in the rough in Sven Andrighetto, or the next DSP. 11 points in 13 games so far.

I've been quite pleased with all the latest additions. This team needed speed in the worst way, and it shows in their somewhat-decent upturn from absolutely fucking horrible to mere shit-show.

Speaking of which, TYSON ****ING JOST SIGNED!!!!!

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/aval ... -288229402

So there might actually be a reason to watch the remaining games.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:08 am 

2-1 SO win against the Blooz, but they clinched the other night so they DGAF from here on out.

I think Ghetto might be the perfect compliment to MacKinnon and Rantanen. Provides the right amount of jam to balance out their skill.

This team looks less and less like Duchene's every day. I was dead-set against a Dutchy trade, but I think both sides want a divorce at this point.

Just wish they'd fucking get rid of that waste of space called Carl Soderberg.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:46 am 
King of the One-Liner

Leafs finished last last year with 69 points with a team not intended to compete and going through a bit of a tear down and Buffalo the year before going full tank for McDavid at 54 pts. The Avs have 45 points with 4 games to play, how is it possible to be that bad with out it being somewhat part of a rebuild plan? No idea what the off season plan is but changes all over the ice and office must be considered you would think.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:19 pm 

Hounsy wrote:
Leafs finished last last year with 69 points with a team not intended to compete and going through a bit of a tear down and Buffalo the year before going full tank for McDavid at 54 pts. The Avs have 45 points with 4 games to play, how is it possible to be that bad with out it being somewhat part of a rebuild plan? No idea what the off season plan is but changes all over the ice and office must be considered you would think.

It is really astounding how just a few mistakes can really just blow the hell up in your face. But they made them.

I really hope Sakic steps down after this. It's clear he just doesn't understand what makes a winning hockey team. It's true that the single biggest mistake made during his tenure is almost 100% on Patrick Roy, but he also signed off on a shocking number of terrible moves. Both he and supposed developer of talent Craig Billington need to be gone and soon.

It was also in small part some really shitty luck. When Erik Johnson went down with a broken leg, the kid they likely would've called up went down with a major injury as well (we still don't know what it was). And seemingly EVERY FUCKING TIME they put another useless scrub on waivers, someone else got hurt, forcing them to keep from demoting said scrub.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:46 pm 
Big in Japan

The Avs are a bit like the Oil pre-McD: enough lottery picks to make you think they should be good, but no defence or structure

How did the Oil get back on track? Well, Connor did most of the legwork. But they also invested in D (signed Sekera, drafted Nurse and Klef, traded for Larsson) and found a goalie that worked (Talbot).

You also have to beat the losing culture out of the young core. Lucic got a lot of money, but you do need guys like that to compliment the youngsters. Iggy and Beauchemin could've done that but were a bit too past their primes. Soderberg was just a mis-gauging of where they were at.

Good luck, Lanche. Draft Patrick and load up on defence.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:27 pm 

Well I'd say Sortaberg was a mis-gauging PERIOD. Dude was supposedly a solid two-way forward, but never really had that tough of a job defensively since, of course, he enjoyed his emergent years on a Boston team playing behind the best two-way forward in the entire league. I don't even want to get started on the fact that he is a lousy skater on a team shockingly full of lousy skaters. For an organization that supposedly wants to be "up-tempo," the Avs went out of their way to collect the slowest group of NHLers since the expansion era. Again, no surprise the additions of Andrighetto, Nieto, Barberio, and a few speedy prospects changed their fortunes a bit after the season was already lost.

Speaking of players who can actually fucking skate, the Avs FINALLY decided to take a look-see at Duncan Siemens. For those who don't know, Duncan Siemens is the guy the Avs took 11th overall in 2011, their second 1st round pick after taking Gabe Landeskog 2nd overall. He was a pretty heralded star in Saskatoon and was the regular defensive partner of former Avs draft pick Stefan Elliott. Unfortunately, like Elliott, his time in the pros has been a bit rough.

Also, he looks like this.

So anyway, I'm told that in addition to looking like a thwarted supervillain, Dunk is one of those rare types of NHL hopefuls who has the speed for the game, but not the hands. Regardless, I fail to understand why it took UNTIL FUCKING NOW for them to finally give him a legit shot at proving his worth. Instead the Avs insisted on just sticking with Francois Slowchemin the whole damned year. IN FACT, they paired Duncan with Beauch...thankfully his current suckiness didn't ruin Siemens's debut.

Unfortunately Duncan is due for a new contract at the end of this year. Who knows what'll happen. But it's ridiculous that Avs management didn't at least take a look and see what they had in Siemens a hell of a lot sooner. The season was pretty much lost by December, there was no reason not to have a look then.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:05 pm 

And so, the worst team in the modern shootout-era NHL ends their miserable season with a loss to the fumbling-but-still-vastly-superior St. Louis Blues.

The stats this year are just unbelievably depressing. 20 wins, and 7 of those, SEVEN OF THOSE, came in overtime. One came in the shootout.

Mikko Rantanen, one of the few bright spots in an otherwise-disastrous season, ends up leading the team in goal-scoring with 20. That should tell you all you need to know about how bad the Avs were offensively this season.

Joe Sakic says Jared Bednar will be back. Most Avs fans are okay with that (though I don't think he can possibly recover from this debut season) but are more incensed that Sakic himself will return. One can only hope Assistant GM Chris McFarland and the newly-minted analytics department will be the ones truly calling the shots going forward...though to be honest we have no idea if McFarland himself is any good either.

Anyway, now the wait begins to see how much longer Matt Duchene is a part of the organization. It sure seems like a foregone conclusion that he's gone.

I sure wish the Avs could find a way to magically divest themselves of the contracts of Beauchemin, Comeau, Soderberg, and Varlamov, but that ain't happening. The good news is that, no matter what, the Avs will have some much-needed cap room with the dead weight of Brad Stuart's buyout and the dead weight that was Jarome Iginla both come off the books. Unfortunately I'm guessing they'll just have to buy out Beauchemin as well.

People keep exonerating Roy for this, but fact of the matter is that he too also played a big part in this implosion. He was just smart enough to bail before he could be blamed for it. It was he who signed Beauchemin, it was he who pushed for an inexplicable push at the previous season's deadline for a bunch of rentals, absolutely NONE of which panned out, and may have cost the Avs an actual legit prospect in the form of AHL scoring phenom Kyle Wood.

But...hope springs eternal, I guess. The Avs will of course get a very good player out of this year's draft. Beyond that, there's still Nathan MacKinnon, Gabriel Landeskog, Mikko Rantanen, and now, Tyson Jost. Whether Matt Duchene remains part of that mix, who knows, but the organization absolutely CANNOT afford to whiff on trading the team's most popular player.

As for defense, it remains to be seen. Losing Erik Johnson to a broken leg probably did more to doom the Avs than anything else this year, but it was Tyson Barrie's disappearance that remains a mystery. Apart from that there were some decent showings from Nikita Zadorov, some very, VERY late shows of promise from Anton Lindholm and Duncan Siemens, but other than that...utter shitshow.

The goaltending situation is a bit of a mess. You have an expensive, overpaid, and very injury-prone veteran, and a semi-decent backup. I'm not sure how that problem gets solved. I would not be surprised at all to see Roy's boy Francois Allaire leave the organization this offseason and current AHL goaltending coach Jean-Ian Filiatraut take over.

So there ya have it. Autopsy done. We go into an offseason where expectations have never, ever been lower. It would be EXTREMELY difficult for even the most incompetent organization in sports history to not improve at least noticeably in 2017-18. But ya never know...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:35 pm 
Big in Japan

Hobey Baker winner and U of Denver D Will Butcher might not sign with Colorado even though they're right in his freaking backyard.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/11/wi ... -with-avs/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:56 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Hobey Baker winner and U of Denver D Will Butcher might not sign with Colorado even though they're right in his freaking backyard.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/11/wi ... -with-avs/

Boy it'll really piss me off if Patrick Roy was the one who fucked this all up.

In fairness though, I'd be shocked if he signed an ELC and didn't go the free agent route.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 2:16 pm 

NHL.com's mock draft has the Avs taking Finnish defender Miro Heiskanen with the 4th pick, but I don't buy for a second that Dallas will pass on him. the My NHL Draft website has the Avs taking Gabriel Vilardi, a center, and Heiskanen going 3rd to the Stars.

So here is where we are at, if indeed cooler heads prevail and the Avs and Duchene mend bridges:

THE CORE:
Nathan MacKinnon
Gabriel Landeskog
Matt Duchene
Tyson Barrie
Mikko Rantanen
Erik Johnson

THE PROSPECTS:
2017 4th overall pick
Tyson Jost (C)
Chris Bigras (D)
Anton Lindholm (D)
Andrei Mironov (D)
J.T. Compher (C)

WILD CARDS:
Nikita Zadorov
Matt Nieto
Sven Andrighetto
Duncan Siemens

HOT GARBAGE:
Francois Beauchemin
Carl Soderberg
Joe Colborne
Semyon Varlamov

I DON'T KNOW:
Blake Comeau

The Avs thankfully get some cap relief with Jarome Iginla finally off the books, but four bad contracts still on the books is WAY too many.

Head Coach Jared Bednar will be given another chance, but he can't afford a bad start. If the Avs stumble badly at all during the season I'm positive he's a goner, even as indecisive as Quoteless Joe has proven to be I can't imagine he'll let next season get away from him like it did this year.

And lastly, I'm kinda glad the Avs ended up being the example made of the new draft lottery system. They tanked hard and did absolutely nothing to even try to right the ship, and they don't even get a top three pick as a result. Serves them fucking right. If Sakic had done something other than just sit back and wait for a ridiculous offer for Matt Duchene or Gabe Landeskog to come in he might've at least saved some face, steered the ship in the right direction.

Oh sorry, here is the lastly--Avs don't appear to be in any danger of losing a good player in the expansion draft. They could even protect their shitty players (which they probably will) and still be okay. Waiver wire pickup Mark Barberio will be their requisite d-man under contract, which allows them to, unfortunately, protect Francois Beauchemin. I think they said they will protect Varlamov, which leaves Pickard exposed, but really, losing him wouldn't be devastating.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 12:29 pm 
Big in Japan

The season may be over, but the indignities continue for the Avs. First they lose the lottery as badly as a team can lose it, and now Tyson Barrie is out of the WHC after injuring himself while wrestling a teammate at the hotel.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2017/5/1 ... ampionship

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:24 pm 

Yeah, I heard that. :roll: The Avs sure have a rep for unusual off-ice injuries. As pointed out by Avs blogger Jibblescribbits, they have Erik Johnson, who tore his ACL falling out of a golf cart, Barrie, and Joe Sakic, who of course injured his hand by getting it caught in in a snowblower.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next