OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:58 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Logical Progression wrote:
Av ! Why did you change your name?

An effort to distance myself from the Avs a bit.

I think the Avs will always be my favorite team, but I refuse to let their suckiness rob me of watching good hockey elsewhere.
Haha - I hear that Tom. Canucks are hopeless these years.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:11 pm 
Big in Japan

Jonathan Drouin manhandled the Avs in OT

https://twitter.com/JArnholz/status/833528204732334080

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:04 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

E.L. wrote:

Yeah. The small comfort I take out of that game is that they at least battled back in the 3rd down 2-0 and forced OT.

And the answer to the question "Could this nightmarish season get any fucking worse!?" is...

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/20/ni ... k-johnson/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:35 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Yeah. The small comfort I take out of that game is that they at least battled back in the 3rd down 2-0 and forced OT.
And the answer to the question "Could this nightmarish season get any fucking worse!?" is...
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/20/ni ... k-johnson/
OUCH. When it rains it pours. What are the chances Sakic lives to see the NHL Entry Draft?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:26 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
What are the chances Sakic lives to see the NHL Entry Draft?

Very good question. I'm not sure. I can't imagine heads will not roll after this season. Someone's going to get fired, just not sure who yet.

And there's another issue right there. For so long ever since Lacroix stepped down we just don't know who's doing what, we have no idea who's calling what shots. Roy and Sakic promised transparency and for the most part delivered, but we still don't know when Roy made a personnel call or when Sakic did (reportedly Roy negotiated with Beauchemin and his agent directly with little to no involvement from Sakic...if that's the case Roy is responsible for the worst FA signing the Avs have ever made). That shit needs to be cleaned up and cleaned up now.

Why they haven't even decided to fire Tim Army yet, I have no idea. How this guy continues to draw a paycheck despite multiple failures on multiple fronts, just boggles my mind. If he isn't scuttled by season's end I will be beyond shocked.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:49 pm 

Fans will go absolutely livid if the next callup is not Duncan Siemens or Chris Bigras.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:45 pm 

Being told talks between the B's and Avs have ground to a halt. Apparently Sweeney flat-out refused to meet Sakic's asking price. Rumor had it the Avs REALLY wanted Colorado native Brandon Carlo.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:29 pm 

I've not been paying close attention but it appears the Avs are playing slightly better hockey of late, which is kinda like saying the whale carcass on the beach over there is smelling slightly less rank on day 5.

But there's some good reasoning behind this. After an inexplicably long wait and multiple assignments to the 4th line, Bednar finally shoved noted malcontent Carl Soderberg to the press box in the Avs last game, replacing him with Mikhail Grigorenko. The waiver wire pickups of Matt Nieto and Mark Barberio have also given the team some much, MUCH needed speed and yes, grit.

Unfortunately, the Avs just don't seem to know what in hell to do with Francois Beauchemin, who continues to draw a paycheck even though it's not entirely known if he's still drawing breath. I'm guessing this one's headed for another painful buyout.

Sakic went on record with the Denver Post saying he's aware that deals cannot be done for appearances. If he moves players just to show he's trying to get things done, he most assuredly will lose any deals involving those players. I'm guessing the Avs don't do much this deadline, and I'm hoping I'm right. Any expiring deals should be moved immediately, but the core should stay.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:24 pm 

Dreger and others strongly implying Duchene wants out. Again, at this point, I can't blame the guy, but I hope he sticks around.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:16 pm 

http://bsndenver.com/duchenes-avalanche ... be-ending/

Adrian Dater makes his debut for BSN Denver, and his first story is on Matty Duchene.

While I think AD's laying the narrative on a bit thick here, it definitely feels like Dutchy is done with Denver. They've failed him and the fans too many times.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:01 pm 
Big in Japan

By the time the Avs right the ship, Matty D will be a UFA, and a very expensive one at that.

If you've got room to protect assets in the expansion draft, now is the time to load up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:49 pm 

And so this is how the Jarome Iginla Era in Colorado ends--with a nothing trade to L.A. Colorado retains 50% salary and Kings give a conditional 4th rounder in 2018. If conditions aren't met (Dreger says they are tied into playoff performance and/or him re-signing in Los Angeles, which ain't happenin') then the Kings don't have to give up the pick.

So it sure sounds like Colorado is retaining 50% salary for a celebrated veteran rental for...nothing. I get that Iggy's performance has been pretty bad, but even the worst of GMs should've gotten some decent value for a sure-fire first ballot HOFer at the deadline.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:58 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
And so this is how the Jarome Iginla Era in Colorado ends--with a nothing trade to L.A. Colorado retains 50% salary and Kings give a conditional 4th rounder in 2018. If conditions aren't met (Dreger says they are tied into playoff performance and/or him re-signing in Los Angeles, which ain't happenin') then the Kings don't have to give up the pick.

So it sure sounds like Colorado is retaining 50% salary for a celebrated veteran rental for...nothing. I get that Iggy's performance has been pretty bad, but even the worst of GMs should've gotten some decent value for a sure-fire first ballot HOFer at the deadline.

Someone made the point that they're just doing Iggy a solid, and that's a positive for the org at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Habs trade Andrighetto for Martinsen.

Good pickup by COL. Sven is small but has some offensive upside.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:16 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Someone made the point that they're just doing Iggy a solid, and that's a positive for the org at this point.

I still feel like Sakic could've gotten something for him if he was a bit more deft, but I get the impression he isn't.

This organization has done a few too many "solids" and they're clogging up the damn toilet bowl.

Sakic seems unable to be ruthless when he needs to be. Being a classy, soft-spoken guy is great when you're on the ice and wearing the C, it can be a detriment when you're in the front office. Guys like Lou Lamoriello and Ken Holland understand that sometimes, it's just business.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:17 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Habs trade Andrighetto for Martinsen.

Good pickup by COL. Sven is small but has some offensive upside.

I actually don't mind Martinsen. Big, tough guy who hits and shoots. Unfortunately he's a slow guy on a slow team, and that needed to be rectified.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:05 pm 

Avs have made some somewhat decent depth moves of late. They snagged both Nieto and Barberio off waivers and now just traded for Andrighetto. They've become a smaller team, but faster, more versatile, and actually tougher. And in addition with the Iggy move they've also become significantly younger.

The Barberio pickup was especially savvy because it gives the Avs a defender under contract whom they don't have to protect for the expansion draft. Before that the Avs would have either had to ask Beauchemin to waive his NMC (which he most assuredly would not have done) or re-sign someone like Patrick Wiercioch.

Still a TON of work to do, and I'll be pretty annoyed if Sakic fails to move Fedor Tyutin and/or Mikhail Grigorenko, but even these minor moves are steps in the right direction, however small they are.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:35 pm 

Relieved and disappointed at the same time. Not sure what in hell happens next, but I know for sure this has been without a doubt the very worst year to be an Avs fan EVER.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:46 am 

The Avs failed miserably at the deadline clearing dead weight, but what little dead weight they did clear allowed J.T. Compher to join the NHL. I can't bring myself to watch this shitshow but I'm told he's not looked out of place.

Article link below--warning in advance, it's got annoying autoplay video, but hey, Alexis Perry ain't bad to look at so...

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/03/02/jt ... -movement/

It's vital the Avs get good returns on both Compher and Zadorov following the O'Reilly deal, because it's clear Mikhail Grigorenko will never be anything more than Steve Bernier 2.0, if that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:00 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Mikhail Grigorenko will never be anything more than Steve Bernier 2.0, if that.

Bernier's having a good year in the AHL. 26 points in 33 games. Actually, I guess that means he's hurt, since the Sound Tigers have played like 60 games. So yeah, the Avs are fucked. Sorry.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next