OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:46 am 
King of Men

With the Rockies in first place the Avs have solidified their media blackout place in Denver. I don't suppose it helps that they only play on Altitude (a channel no one without cable gets locally) either. You won't hear any draft talk in this town unless you play Sherlock Holmes....Avs are free to suck at will for a long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:01 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Of all the missteps KSE has made, I do feel the biggest one was insisting on their own TV and radio stations. The radio fiasco was mishandled so badly, it DEFINITELY cost them fans.

We'll see if they can turn the on-ice product around. I'm not too optimistic though.

But yes, how 'bout them Rockies!? :mulletbutch:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:44 pm 

http://bsndenver.com/new-avalanche-unif ... lly-a-win/

New uniforms and THANK THE HOCKEY GODS, THOSE ARMPIT-PIPED NIGHTMARES ARE GONE!!!!!!

Some initial super-nitpicky thoughts:

1. Interesting they chose to bring back the original "mountain stripe" look, which is awesome and FUCK whoever says otherwise, but they left out any black trim, which was in the original jersey. They also opted to keep the burgundy the same color but the blue is noticeably lighter, more akin to their Nordiques roots. I don't mind the small changes they made, though with no black actually in the jersey it's gonna look rather odd for them to wear black helmets and pants.

2. I still hate the fact that jersey manufacturers apparently can't leave their branding on the bottom of the jersey anymore. It's gotta be right there above the nameplate. That makes for a problem for the Avs jerseys as it used to have a "peak" right there behind the collar, but they've been unable to do so with the branding switches.

3. Maybe I'm mistaken but are shoulder patches noticeably higher on these new Addidas jerseys? Seems odd to have them so close to the collar.

But this is all super-nitpicky stuff. I'm so happy they've ditched those fucking awful Rbk EDGE uniprons. They truly looked horrendous, like they just plain didn't know what to do. And it looked especially bad with players who had a C or A on the front of their jersey. Now, if they can just bring back those awesome third jerseys back everything will be perfect...well, y'know, fix the roster too while yer at it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:11 pm 

Expansion draft done. As fans expected and feared, the Wild Knights picked Picks.

Now the Avs are in the market for a backup in addition to filling other holes.

They also have yet to sign any new assistants to replace the ones fired earlier.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:36 pm 

I'll probably close this thread and start a new one once the Duchene Era officially comes to a close.

Kinda sad...I guess I get why it has to happen but I don't like it one bit.

Odds-on favorite trading partner is the NY Islanders, a rumored package surrounding Matt Duchene and Travis Hamonic.

One not-verified source had Dutchy going for Hamonic and Strome. Uh, no.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:53 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
I'll probably close this thread and start a new one once the Duchene Era officially comes to a close.

Kinda sad...I guess I get why it has to happen but I don't like it one bit.

Odds-on favorite trading partner is the NY Islanders, a rumored package surrounding Matt Duchene and Travis Hamonic.

One not-verified source had Dutchy going for Hamonic and Strome. Uh, no.

No worries on Strome anymore.

I dig the jersey, although I agree with your complaints about the branding. It's something that's just here to stay, no matter how much we all hate it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:40 pm 
Big in Japan

The NBA just added ads on jerseys, so this doesn't feel too bad in comparison.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:00 am 

E.L. wrote:

Good point.

Either way, I'll actually BUY one of these whereas I wouldn't be caught dead in the previous iteration.

One thing someone on HF noted--of all the major and minor screwups various teams made with their jerseys with the switch to the Rbk EDGE designs 10 years ago, whether they were too conservative and dull like the Dallas Stars had, or completely wacky like the Blues trying out yellow piping on their jerseys and pants (looked like they had pee running down the sides), all of those teams fixed those problems...but not the Avs. They just stuck with something the fans hated for a decade. Sort of endemic how slow-moving and methodical they've been in their approach toward everything since the glory days went away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:49 am 
OTP Historian

Those look good.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:02 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Good point.

Either way, I'll actually BUY one of these whereas I wouldn't be caught dead in the previous iteration.
One thing someone on HF noted--of all the major and minor screwups various teams made with their jerseys with the switch to the Rbk EDGE designs 10 years ago, whether they were too conservative and dull like the Dallas Stars had, or completely wacky like the Blues trying out yellow piping on their jerseys and pants (looked like they had pee running down the sides), all of those teams fixed those problems...but not the Avs. They just stuck with something the fans hated for a decade. Sort of endemic how slow-moving and methodical they've been in their approach toward everything since the glory days went away.
They look way better now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:57 pm 

I guess we will see what happens in the next few hours. If a Duchene trade is to happen, I'm guessing it'll happen before the draft. I really just want him to stay but if he wants out (and I kinda don't blame him) then I suppose it has to go down this way. Sakic mishandled things so poorly last season that he's likely ruined relationships with more than a couple players. Then again, Doug Wilson went out of his way to alienate two of his best players and somehow they stuck around, so...

Anyway, I'm reading more doors are shutting than opening right now. The Isles no longer have Ryan Strome or their 1st rounder this year to offer in trade. Any proposal I'm reading involved Calvin de Haan and Mathew Barzal. I think Snow should just stand pat, but he's in full-blown "convince Tavares to stay" mode so I'm expecting some off-the-wall craziness.

The other trading partner we keep hearing about is Carolina, but I'm hearing Ronnie Franchise doesn't want to deal any established players, especially Noah Hanifin, who had a bit of a breakout season last year, at least in the second half. If they're not offering up Hanifin, not sure who the Avs would take. I'm reading the Canes are souring a bit on Haydn Fleury but again, that's just scuttlebutt on HF so take it with a grain of salt.

Lastly, there appears to be a big push happening from Nashville. Now Sakic had better be getting a REALLY good deal if he even thinks about trading with the best team in the division. Not sure what that entails.

As for the draft, sure looks like Either Cale Makar or Miro Heiskanen will be wearing burgundy and blue later tonight, unless NJ and Philly just go off-board and skip over Nolan Patrick entirely. No matter what, Avs should end up with a pretty damned good player, it's those later rounds that him and Hepple have GOT to hit paydirt on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:37 pm 

Tried to build a team using absolutely no one except those under contract and RFAs who will be re-signed. Forward corps looks fine. Better than fine IMO. It's on the blueline the rampant problems crop up. Beyond Johnson, Zadorov, and Barrie it's Mark Barberio and whole lotta rookies, and while a couple of those guys look very promising still, it's a lot to ask one of them to take on 2nd pairing minutes/matchups, not to mention you want one guy back there who's pretty steady so that Barrie is free to do what he does (he clearly wasn't last season, though that doesn't explain entirely why he imploded so badly).

So I'm guessing the Duchene trade is gonna happen and that an NHL-ready defender is the starting point. Don't know if that involves Travis Hamonic or another d-man, but this is Sakic's biggest challenge as a GM. If he fucks this up he may as well resign right then and there.

Avs have a lot of reason to be excited about the upcoming season when it comes to forward talent though. In addition to MacKinnon, Landeskog and (for now) Duchene, the Avs have the former AHL rookie of the year Mikko Rantanen, rookie Tyson Jost, and yet another promising two-way forward in J.T. Compher (acquired in the O'Reilly trade). They also got two speedy utility guys in Sven Andrighetto and Matt Nieto, perfectly good depth acquisitions who made such an impression the Avs chose to protect both in the expansion draft.

However, the Avs still have to figure out what to do with Joe Colborne, Mikhail Grigorenko, Blake Comeau, and the King of the Turkeys, Carl Soderberg. I still say you should just put Soda on someone's wing so he can use his surprisingly good shooting ability to enhance his trade value and then find a sucker for his contract (and they exist, no doubt).

On the backend, things aren't quite so exciting. Top D prospects are Chris Bigras, Anton Lindholm, Mason Geertsen, and our old friend Duncan Siemens. Not anything to really write home about. And it remains to be seen if the Avs are able to hold onto Hobey Baker winner Will Butcher (I'm guessing not). This could all change though tonight, depending on what the Avs do with the 4th overall pick.

My wish is to have Duchene remain, the Avs draft Heiskanen, acquire a cheap-but-capable backup for Varly, and just ice a young, speedy, hungry team. Purge anchors like Grigorenko and Soderberg however and whenever you can. I still have a bit of hope they can turn Joe Colborne into a productive player again, but we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:58 pm 
OTP Historian

The Wings have plenty of NHL-ready defense and goalies for you :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:24 pm 
Big in Japan

Sounds like Poile is pushing hard for Matty. Would a package involving Fiala and/or Fabbro get it done?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:01 am 

E.L. wrote:
Sounds like Poile is pushing hard for Matty. Would a package involving Fiala and/or Fabbro get it done?

I don't know much about either. Another name that keeps coming up in trade proposals is Kamenev.

Apparently Duchene's agent was seen speaking with both Sakic and Poile. Guessing he's trying to broker a deal.

Either way the bar has been set. Ryan fucking Reaves snagged a first. Duchene is worth a little more than that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:47 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Well the 2 names I kept hearing from the Isles end were Strome & Hamonic in exchange for Duchene, so I don't think it'll work between them. I hope Snow doesn't part with Barzal, and I don't think he will.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8