OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:43 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Oh and it wouldn't be hockey season without a bunch of fucking injuries to concern us.

https://twitter.com/RickS7/status/785517386845736960

Quote:
#Avs Iginla had noncontact jersey and now isn't practicing; Rantanen practicing with noncontact jersey; Mitchell not practicing #Avalanche

I'm not to worried about Mitchell, Ben Smith can fill in just fine at 4C, not having Iggy hurts as I'm expecting a rebound season, but I think the Avs can mitigate that, especially if they intend on signing Rene Gary Wayne Bourque (and yes, that's his full legal name). But not having Rantanen ready and basically missing all of camp and preseason sucks. He's likely to play a huge role on the Avs this season.

Lastly, not sure what the status is on Blake Comeau. He's the resident utility guy for the Avs, not good if he's not ready.

So I guess this means (assuming Gabriel clears waivers and both PTOs get signed) there will be no further cuts. AHLers Sislo and Vogelhuber are on the team. I don't know if waiving Bourque means they just want the option of sending him down for 30 days and don't want to risk waiving him without other players serving as a distraction of sorts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:38 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

I saw on twitter people were raving about Zadorov looking good in preseason. If he takes a big step forward and Rantanen makes an impact then could be a good year for the Avalanche.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:03 pm 

It's official, both Bourques signed.

http://www.tsn.ca/avalanche-sign-gabrie ... s-1.582636

I'm told Rene took a 1-way, 1-year deal worth $800,000. Gabriel took a 2-way, 1-year deal worth $600,000/$200,000.

I suppose now the team waits and see who's ready come Saturday and who's not.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:18 pm 

Whoops...I screwed up. Apparently Rene got $600K one-way and Gabriel got $800K/200K two-way. At least that's what I'm reading on HF right now, so take that for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:29 pm 

hammer wrote:
I saw on twitter people were raving about Zadorov looking good in preseason. If he takes a big step forward and Rantanen makes an impact then could be a good year for the Avalanche.

Yeah, they tried him with Erik Johnson on the top pairing and he played like a man possessed the final two preseason games (at least what I heard on the radio, didn't get to actually watch). I think Bednar knew coming in that using 36-year-old Francois Beauchemin as a top pairing guy was simply not an option. Roy played the living hell out of him but in his defense, he didn't have much choice with the #4 option being Nick Holden. :ugeek: I'm surprised he went with that option though. By all accounts the Avs brought in Fedor Tyutin as a "mentor" of sorts to Zadorov.

Might not last into the regular season and beyond but man...both Zadorov and Grigorenko had really, really good preseason showings. If the Avs manage to turn both into worthwhile players AND J.T. Compher turns into an actual NHLer that O'Reilly trade return ends up being huge.

Listened to an Avs podcast a few months ago where they had Travis Yost as a guest. He didn't think Zadorov would amount to much but thought there was some real potential with Grigorenko.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:40 am 

Avs have a new goal song and it's, well...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=344KGcW0HRY

It ain't my thing but I'm quickly approaching middle age so it's probably best they don't pick something from my era. Hockey definitely needs to diversify when it comes to in-arena music, and besides, if I hear this song often, I may grow to like it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:33 pm 

Avs are apparently the League's heaviest team.

http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2016/10/2016- ... t-and.html

:viking: :beer: :beer: :beer: :cheers: