It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:07 pm 
Big in Japan

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1075583

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:16 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
I have thought long and hard over the course of the summer about how I might improve this team to give it the depth it needs and bring it to a higher level. To achieve this, the vision of the coach and VP-Hockey Operations needs to be perfectly aligned with that of the organization. He must also have a say in the decisions that impact the team's performance. These conditions are not currently met.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 87871.html

Oh the shade.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:29 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'll be damned. I'm only guessing here, but I'm wondering if Roy was pushing for a major trade and was stopped by Sakic, who's clearly wanting to stay the course.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:35 pm 

I'm sad it's ending this way, but frankly I'm pretty sure this is for the best. I think Roy was taking pages out of the wrong book and focusing on all the wrong things as a head coach. He could yet be a great NHL head coach, but he's got to be willing to change and listen.

Best of luck to him...regardless of how it ended up, that first season with him as head coach was honest-to-God the most fun I've ever had watching hockey in a single season. And obviously the contributions he made as a player for the organization cannot be understated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:03 pm 
OTP Historian

Surprising that it happened this way but it had to come at some point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:07 pm 

OH SHIT...someone on HF speculated whether or not this means Allaire is gone as well. I didn't even think of that.

Man, if he goes the Avs really are in trouble.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:06 pm 
King of Men

Well that problem took care of itself. Unfortunately it wasn't setup to end pretty.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:41 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Roy was a sitting duck anyways. Better to leave on your own volition - than sit and wait to be fired at some point prior to the end of your agreement.

It was clear the Av's weren't going to extend him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:35 pm 

Didn't take long for this to come out.

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2016/ ... -nope-habs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:14 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

:lol: Therrien is sitting on a bit of a warm seat right now......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:24 pm 

As usual, Twitter manages to make the best of the situation.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/twit ... avalanche/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:05 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:
As usual, Twitter manages to make the best of the situation.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/twit ... avalanche/

Those were good. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:09 pm 

I'm told Sakic was on vacation when Roy dropped the bomb. Not sure if he expected it or not, but I'm guessing not.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:44 am 

A poster on HF sums up my feelings on the situation precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian

I don't think Avs had any chance of winning a Stanley Cup with Roy as a coach. It seems not even Roy had faith in his ability as a coach since he decided to quit. Perhaps not even his ego prevented him from recognizing how badly he has been out-coached, especially the last two years when the book was out on him. When the odds of looking really bad are greater than the odds of looking good, perhaps quitting is pure self-preservation. Now he can go to Quebec where he's the big fish.

Just like players have ceilings, so do coaches.

Personally I always figured Roy would go scorched earth on us, depleting everything for one or two shots at a cup so I'm happy this happened. By the comments he made about him wanting to have more influence this off-season I suspect he was starting to switch to that mode.

Before the Stuart buyout Avs might have been able to squeeze Radulov in, but after it was obvious the only way to do it is to get rid of Varlamov/Duchene/Barrie or perhaps even Landeskog.

One guy who absolutely OWNED Roy was Mike Babcock. Even with a depleted roster in Toronto it felt like watching Gennady Kasparov take on a 5-year-old who had just learned chess an hour beforehand. It was almost as bad as Vigneault repeatedly schooling Joe Sacco whenever the Canucks and Avs met up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:40 pm 

Ryan Lambert weighs in.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/the-improv ... um=twitter

It seems pretty clear the decision to commit to Tyson Barrie rather than deal him was the last straw, the culmination of a series of moves by Sakic this offseason (and the draft as well) that spoke to a much, much different philosophy than Roy.

I'm 100% convinced now that the rather half-assed attempt to load up at the deadline was an attempt by Sakic to appease Roy while not mortgaging any of the future. While I don't think any long-term damage was done by those moves, they really should've just kept the compensatory pick.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:34 am 

DGB shares his thoughts.

https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/down ... make-sense

The debate portion concerning that crazy-ass KHL brawl is about the funniest damned thing I've read in a while. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:00 pm 

Fansite Eurolanche indicates this may have been Roy's attempt at saving face--that he could see the writing on the wall when the front office clearly went in a different direction this offseason than he apparently wished. He wanted to go out on his own terms, and speculation abounds that if he stumbled out the gate for the third year in a row, he'd be in trouble. And frankly that would've been a very ugly, very pubilc divorce.

I hold no ill will toward Roy. I think BSN or someone posted an entry ripping him to cutting and running like he did but I don't think he came to this decision easily. This is really the only way it could have gone down, and I think the Avalanche will be better off for it...given the assumption they actually hire a good coach, that is.

Avs have six weeks before camp opens. Not sure how they go about doing this. Right now there are three assistants. The simplest solution would be to promote Tim Army to be head coach and place Dave Farrish and Nolan Pratt on the bench as his assistants. But I've heard Sakic wants to look outside the organization, and I think this is part of a larger effort to clean out the rather staid culture that existed under Pierre Lacroix and kinda lingered after his departure.

It'd be real cool, and perhaps quite ironic, if the Avs somehow get permission to interview Paul McLean. Of course knowing the Avs' luck they'd accidentally hire that goofball look-alike who used to sit behind him at Sens games.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:31 pm 

https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/7 ... wsrc%5Etfw

Quote:
Hearing Lane Lambert and Bob Boughner will get some consideration for vacant Avs' coaching job.

Don't know anything about Lambert apart from the fact he's an assistant in WSH. Boughner would count as the "outside the organization" choice Sakic has stated he's seeking, but he also has ties to the organization (played his final NHL season in Colorado). I'd say if there's any truth to this and SJ lets him interview, Boughner is the odds-on favorite.

I read the Ducks would let Paul McLean interview as well. That'd be my choice but I suppose we'll see.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:12 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Av-merican wrote:
https://twitter.com/JSportsnet/status/765728218393501696?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Quote:
Hearing Lane Lambert and Bob Boughner will get some consideration for vacant Avs' coaching job.

Don't know anything about Lambert apart from the fact he's an assistant in WSH. Boughner would count as the "outside the organization" choice Sakic has stated he's seeking, but he also has ties to the organization (played his final NHL season in Colorado). I'd say if there's any truth to this and SJ lets him interview, Boughner is the odds-on favorite.

I read the Ducks would let Paul McLean interview as well. That'd be my choice but I suppose we'll see.

If only teams could trade coaches for players. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:01 pm 

Travis Yost kinda nails it on the head...

http://www.tsn.ca/roy-fortunate-to-choo ... s-1.547687