Coming in:
F Mikkel Boedkker
D Eric Gelinas

Going out:

F Alex Tanguay
F prospect Conner Bleackley
D prospect Kyle Wood
3rd round pick

These are pretty odd pickups. Obviously in response to the Avs horribly inconsistent power play. Gelinas has been described as Marc-Andre Bergeron 2.0, which isn't promising, and Boedkker has of course been labeled as an overrated asset by the analytics crowd. Personally I just don't know...I think this is ultimately a huge mistake but only time will tell.

Post subject: Re: Avs at the deadline
PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:56 pm 
Big in Japan

Gelinas has the size/skill to be a solid offensive defenceman, but he's not there yet. He's only 24.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:56 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
So far...

Coming in:
F Mikkel Boedkker
D Eric Gelinas

Going out:

F Alex Tanguay
F prospect Conner Bleackley/24th overall pick in 2016
D prospect Kyle Wood
3rd round pick

These are pretty odd pickups. Obviously in response to the Avs horribly inconsistent power play. Gelinas has been described as Marc-Andre Bergeron 2.0, which isn't promising, and Boedkker has of course been labeled as an overrated asset by the analytics crowd. Personally I just don't know...I think this is ultimately a huge mistake but only time will tell.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:09 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm told that Gelinas will at least be an improvement over the current rotating cast of journeyman defenders on the third pairing. But if he's not an improvement over Nick effin' Holden, then this exercise was a bit of a waste of time. It was Holden who flopped in a pathetic attempt to block an incoming shot in the outdoor game's final minutes, leaving him unable to defend what ended up being the Wings' GWG.

And yep...just like I suspected. Gelinas is a lefty.

Oh, and on a side note, backup goalie Reto Berra, who's been in San Antonio on a conditioning stint, was put on waivers. No surprise the Avs want to go with Varlamov/Pickard for the foreseeable future. I doubt he'll get moved which probably means a buyout is in his near future. Bad move by the Avs on that one, but he came highly recommended by Allaire...c'est la vie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:43 pm 
King of Men

Strange pickups indeed. I don't understand the Boedkker trade. Too bad about Berra, at one time he was highly touted in Calgary as well. Wonder what the real issue is there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:49 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Strange pickups indeed. I don't understand the Boedkker trade. Too bad about Berra, at one time he was highly touted in Calgary as well. Wonder what the real issue is there.

Well, both years in Colorado he's suffered some pretty serious injuries. I'm guessing that's at the very least part of the problem.

On a side note, I'm pretty surprised one name hasn't been moved: Duncan Siemens. It's obvious the Avs are pretty much done with him now that two younger players (Bigras and Zadorov) have passed him on the depth chart. He's currently on the final year of his ELC, and I'd be shocked beyond belief if the Avs retained him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:05 pm 

Le sigh...

Quote:
#Avs D Gelinas is not great at exiting the D zone, he had the highest dump-out rate on the #NJDevils, & the lowst dump-out success rate: 55%

https://twitter.com/Sportlogiq/status/7 ... 0538686468

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:37 pm 

Well...win or lose, this is the Avs lineup going into the final stretch run of the season:

Grigorenko - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - MacKinnon - Boedkker
Matthias - Soderberg - Comeau
McLeod - Mitchell - Skille

Beauchemin - Johnson
Holden - Barrie
Bigras - Gelinas/Bodnarchuk

Varlamov
Pickard

Yeah, that doesn't even look all that great on paper. At least two guys in the top six who can't produce at even strength, and a fringe NHLer in the top four on D.

I wouldn't be entirely shocked if Jarome Iginla was not in an Avs sweater come next season (has one more year left after this one). But since he has a full NMC it would be his call to make.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:41 pm 

Lastly, I'm told the Coyotes will likely let Bleackley walk and take the compensatory 2nd. While that 2nd would've been nice for the Avs to have, I don't think they necessarily lost huge on this trade deadline day. Now, if Boedkker gets signed to a cap-munching long-term contract, things may change. But in the end they didn't appear to give up all that much. I do think it's interesting they feel they're close enough to make three moves that put the emphasis on winning now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:29 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Lastly, I'm told the Coyotes will likely let Bleackley walk and take the compensatory 2nd. While that 2nd would've been nice for the Avs to have, I don't think they necessarily lost huge on this trade deadline day. Now, if Boedkker gets signed to a cap-munching long-term contract, things may change. But in the end they didn't appear to give up all that much. I do think it's interesting they feel they're close enough to make three moves that put the emphasis on winning now.

Oooh it's a second rounder. Baseball has the 1st rounder. Did NHL's used to be a sandwich pick between the 1st and 2nd?