OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:06 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Travis Yost tweeted that the Avs are going to sign Patrick Wiercioch. Wonderful news if true, but I can't help but think it precipitates a bigger move.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:37 pm 

Avs go with not one, but two DU alums.

Patrick Wiercioch signing is for 1 year, $800K. That's a solid value signing.

Not sure what the details are for Colborne. Obviously a replacement for Shawn Matthias, who signed with Winnipeg.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:54 pm 

Colborne deal is for two years, $2.5 million AAV. That's fine.

Also, Sakic signs the recently bought-out Fedor Tyutin for one year at $2 million.

Dare I say it, the Avs blueline is actually looking...solid.

Beauchemin - Johnson
Tyutin - Barrie
Wiercioch - Gelinas
Zadorov/Bigras

The Avs can ice a pretty good defense without having to force a youngster into a tough role. Ideally, I'm hoping someone steps up and bumps Beauchemin down the depth a bit. At this point he should not be the top shutdown guy.

Of course rumors are still swirling, and Tyson Barrie has not been re-signed as of yet.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:55 pm 

Avs sign A.J. Greer to an entry-level contract, and expect him to suit up for the AHL in 2016.

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=888337

He was by all accounts an off-the-board pick for the Avs at 39th overall in 2015 but apparently the brass really likes him. Fine by me.

Avs have quietly revamped their AHL roster. When before it was a lot of young free agent Euros, it looks like this time they're opting for more North American players. Whether any of those guys (I'm pulling for Trent Vogelhuber) turns into a viable NHL player remains to be seen but at the very least the Avs aren't settling when it comes to their affiliates.

I'm reading rumors the Colorado Eagles will soon be affiliating with the Avs. Sure hope so, it's weird that they're not currently.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:15 pm 
Big in Japan

Greer looked good with the Q champs during the playoffs.

I like the Wiercioch signing too. A bit of a gunslinger but valuable if protected.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:06 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Read that Snow & Sakic were talking about a deal for Duchene going to the Isles, but Sakic wanted the moon & stars for him, including Brock Nelson & Ryan Pulock.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:29 pm 

Tyson Barrie and Mikhail Grigorenko opt for salary arbitration.

http://milehighsports.com/tyson-barrie- ... bitration/

I hope this isn't an exact mirror of the Avs/O'Reilly situation (minus the offer sheet mess) but it sure feels like it.

Avs get backup/possible goalie of the future Calvin Pickard signed though. Yay.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:36 pm 

Old news, but Nathan MacKinnon signs a 7-year deal at $6.3 million AAV.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/16902 ... -avalanche

There doesn't appear to be any of this silly "buyout proofing" that's going on with other big contracts, thank goodness.

We will apparently be seeing a LOT of those kinds of contracts because players are gearing up for the next inevitable lockout and want protection.

The next goal will be to sign Tyson Barrie and Mikhail Grigorenko before their respective arbitration hearings this month.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 3:07 am 

Great...so now I'm learning the Avs helped out the Red Wings in addition to the Coyotes when they traded for Mikkel Boedker in that half-assed attempt to make the playoffs. :evil:

The Avs dealt former first round pick Conner Bleackley to the Coyotes as part of the deal for five minutes of Mikkel Time, and the Coyotes declined to sign him and used the compensatory pick as part of the deal to take on Datsyuk's cap hit and move up in the draft to snag Jacob Chychrun.

Detroit then used the compensatory pick on Czech defenseman Filip Hronek. If he ends up being a star, there'll be more than a few Avs fans banging their heads against the wall. :chris18:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:22 pm 

One minor (no pun intended) bit of good news--the Colorado Eagles, the one shining success in the effort to bring minor-league hockey to Colorado post-Avalanche, are back where they belong as an Avs affiliate. Why they ever weren't is just plain absurd.

Now if Derek Armstrong could just bring back the Cutthroats, the Avs would be in business.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:55 pm 

Avs dodge one bullet, sign Mikhail Grigorenko to a one-year, $1.3 million deal, avoiding arbitration.

Still have to deal with the much-bigger arbitration case coming up in Tyson Barrie but good to see this one's out of the way.

Not sure what to make of Grigorenko. Big, obviously very talented, great hockey sense, but he wasn't by any means a big impact guy. Shuffled all over the lineup last year. Would love it if he becomes a viable scoring line option but hard to say just what kind of player he is at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Former Avs and Habs D Ryan O'Byrne calls it a career. Spent the last three seasons in the KHL, Swiss League and Swedish League.

A surprising 3rd round pick at the time. He was an unknown, very raw big man out of Cornell and even though he was never coordinated enough to be an elite guy, 300 NHL games isn't too bad.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:12 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Former Avs and Habs D Ryan O'Byrne calls it a career. Spent the last three seasons in the KHL, Swiss League and Swedish League.

A surprising 3rd round pick at the time. He was an unknown, very raw big man out of Cornell and even though he was never coordinated enough to be an elite guy, 300 NHL games isn't too bad.

He was a good get at the time, ended up being probably the best defensive partner John-Michael Liles ever had, but then they ended up trading Liles away and replaced him with Jan Hejda. The team immediately became a slow, lumbering dump-and-chase club. Travis Yost, as Bosc pointed out to me, tweeted about how the Avs actually played Hejda and O'Byrne as a pairing quite a bit. I have to revise my answer though as I'm pretty sure the Avs were tanking, but they of course traded away their first rounder (Filip Forsberg) in the Varlamov deal. So in actuality there was no logical reason to pair those two guys together. Don't get me started on the rest of that draft. :evil:

I think he would've been a better and more successful player had he just been born about 5-6 years earlier. He seemed very out of place once the emphasis on speed and skill began to increase.

I know I've beaten this dead horse into the ground but I will never, ever forget Vigneault and the Canucks successfully employing the "O'Byrne Lock" back when the Canucks absolutely embarrassed the Avs anytime they faced off. Basically the kept the puck away from Liles and other puckmovers and let O'Byrne have it, surrounding him with all three forecheckers so he couldn't dump it or pass it. Brilliant strategy that totally hamstrung the Avs--Sacco had absolutely no counter move.

One other highlight--I believe Ryan O'Byrne to be the only guy I've ever seen completely flatten Zdeno Chara. So he's got that going for him. I think most everyone has forgotten the purse incident.

BTW, is Bournival even in the NHL anymore? The Avs actually traded up to get him in the third round, then traded him away for ROB, which seemed odd. I know he was never meant to be a star but I always felt he'd become a worthwhile NHLer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:25 pm 

BTW, speaking of defensemen:

http://nhlnumbers.com/2016/7/21/barrie- ... high-alert

IMO the Avs SHOULD be able to get a long-term deal done with Barrie before his hearing. If they fail, well, that's on management. Barrie and his agent know they're in the driver's seat here. He's the team's best defenseman and statistically speaking it's not even close.

They got Grigorenko to sign for pretty cheap and if they REALLY find themselves in a pinch cap-wise they can always move John Mitchell or Cody McLeod. They have enough to get through this season and a whole bunch of cap relief waiting for them in 2017 when the cap hits for Stuart and Iginla come off the books.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:48 pm 
Big in Japan

Bournival signed a two-way deal with Tampa. Injuries derailed his career in Montreal, but if he's healthy he can be an effective fourth liner.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:50 pm 

So the arbitration numbers are out:

Quote:
Adrian Dater ‏@adater 39m39 minutes ago
Avs arbitration offer to Tyson Barrie: 2 years, $4 mil, $4.25 mil. Barrie asks $6 mil on one year. Hearing is Friday

I'll be pretty disappointed if the two sides can't hammer out a deal before then.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:12 pm 

rumour on Vancouver side is the possibility of trading Tanev to the Avalanche for Landeskog and perhaps some more. A better dman and cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:11 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
rumour on Vancouver side is the possibility of trading Tanev to the Avalanche for Landeskog and perhaps some more. A better dman and cheaper.

Well...I actually wouldn't be opposed to that despite the fact I'm a huge Landy fan (his occasional suspension-worthy brain cramps aside). It's the "perhaps some more" that concerns me. But it would most definitely give the Avs something they haven't had since, oh, 2005--an honest-to-goodness shutdown guy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:23 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:

Tanev's a better Dman than who? Not Barrie.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:35 pm 

Better at defense than Barrie, yes, but not better offensively of course. I don't even want to do the "who's the better player" thing since they're so very different. But if I had to absolutely choose one, I'd choose Tanev. Reluctantly.

If the price is Landy AND Barrie, then hells no. If it's Landy and something else not named Duchene, MacKinnon, or Barrie, then I'm listening. But I also wouldn't do a Barrie-for-Tanev deal either. They need to build around him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next