OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 3:03 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

NHL Numbers eviscerates the Avs.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2016/5/31/because ... -avalanche

My alarm over the current situation grows by the day. It seems pretty damned clear they have no intention of re-signing Barrie, which is ridiculous because, again, THEY HAD TWO YEARS to be ready for this situation. And again, he is the team's best defenseman.

The only thing the author leaves out is the fact that Barrie was productive despite having sub-par defensive partners the last two years. You could even go further and say he's been productive despite a sup-par defensive corps period. Really, the only truly "worthy" partner he's had is Erik Johnson.

I just feel like these guys are gonna pull a Benning (or worse, a Nonis) and just completely run this thing aground. I don't begrudge them the O'Reilly situation, but losing Barrie will be devastating to what little hope this team has of building toward contention with the current core of talent.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:17 pm 

Well, it's no secret Roy didn't like former draft guru Rick Pracey, who was fired not long after the 2014 Entry Draft. To take matters further, the organization pretty much parted ways with every single player in that draft class.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2016/06/01/col ... aft-class/

The only one retained was fifth rounder Anton Lindholm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:26 pm 
King of Men

Piss poor management and head scratching signings (yes you Kevan Miller) seem to be all the rage lately.

I thought this organization was batshit crazy when they didn't sign O'Reilly but now to bail out on Barrie? Francis Beauchemin would become the best D man on the team!

Those Corsi numbers aren't telling any of us around here anything we haven't discussed over the years. The elephant in the room has been completely ignored by the former HOFers running this team.

I don't particularly like the way this team plays hockey.....its an old brand (LA like without Sutter) that is missing the team buy in.

It a tough sell here in Colorado. You've got a management team that can basically do what it wants and a team that doesn't seem to buy what management is selling. At least Lacroix was dealing with a cup contending team most of the time. This organization seems to be confused about what it means to build a solid core so maybe an extended period of losing is what is needed. Sucks to be a fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:48 pm 
Big in Japan

Pittsburgh just rode a hot streak into the finals playing no-D track meet hockey. Their D exist to activate the rush.

San Jose has unbelievable offensive depth. Scoring and creativity on every line.

And yet there are so many teams still playing it safe and slow. They'll be left in the dust.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:18 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Mike Chambers of the Denver Post reports that Sakic definitively states Tyson Barrie is off the market and will be wearing an AVS jersey next season. Interesting.....

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/16/av ... act-talks/

https://twitter.com/MikeChambers?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:33 pm 
King of Men

Hunh? Just the other day I read an article that said everyone is for sale.

Quote:
"I know that Joe Sakic has told NHL general managers that he's willing to listen and willing to deal any of those big guys like Barrie, like Duchene. But it's got to be part of something big. Something significant." Dreger said the Avalanche are "big-game hunting" and just about anyone could be up for grabs, excluding Nathan MacKinnon.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:39 pm 

Sakic tells Mike Chambers of the Denver Post that Barrie will not be traded.

In a very surprising move, the Avs choose to qualify draft bust Duncan Siemens. And yes, while many still think he could yet be a viable NHL player, I think the ship officially sailed when not one, but two defensive prospects taken much later than him surpassed him on the depth chart this season. Not good enough to be a skill player, not durable enough to be a true physical presence. I'm simply not sure why management keeps wasting their time with guys like Siemens and the now-departed Joey Hishon when they have proven they're simply not NHL material.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:41 pm 

Well there ya go, the Avs start out the offseason on the right track and ship oft-injured backup Reto Berra to Florida for Rocco Grimaldi.

http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm? ... COL%7Chome

Can't fault this deal at all, even if Grimaldi doesn't pan out, Berra was going to be booted regardless on account of his inconsistency and Calvin Pickard's emergence.

I imagine Rocco is a bit bummed that Tim Tebow isn't with the Broncos anymore though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:47 am 

Avs pick Tyson Jost with the 10th overall pick.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/tyson ... the-draft/

Sounds like a good kid with a good head on his shoulders. Lots of comparisons to Jonathan Toews. I'm not necessarily hoping for THAT, but if he ends up replacing to at least a small degree what was lost when both Stastny and O'Reilly left, then I'll be thrilled. A lot of people I trust seem to think this was a pretty good pick. He's headed to the NCAA next year so it'll be a while before we see him in the NHL.

Onward to round 2...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:53 pm 

Not gonna go into a pick-by-pick analysis of the Avs' draft, but overall it looks like they did pretty well for themselves, especially for a team that still eschews analytics.

http://bsndenver.com/grading-the-colora ... t-weekend/

I'm really going for silver lining here, as most of these kids won't be NHLers for at least another 2-3 years. Only one players appears to fit the mold of "big dumb defenseman who can't make a pass," though as the link suggests, scouts swear up and down he actually can, so who the hell knows.

Avs have little to no room for error now. They have a prospect base that's still lagging badly and a young, but already pretty expensive core of talent. They really need some blue chippers and fast. Unfortunately they won't be showing up in this year's draft anytime soon.

I am pleasantly surprised by the Jost pick. It really feels like Sakic saw a lot of himself in Tyson Jost. Whether that's true remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:35 pm 

It should also be noted that D Nick Holden was moved to the Rangers for a 2017 4th rounder. I'd like to think the Avs are moving past stopgap measures, but given their cap situation, I'm guessing more will be necessary.

Avs qualify 5 players and let 10 walk. There's actually a bit of history being made here if this article is to be believed.

http://bsndenver.com/avalanche-qualify- ... t-10-walk/

Colorado declined to qualify Brandon Gormley, who was acquired via trade with the Coyotes for Stefan Elliott. What makes this significant is that it appears the ever-bountiful series of trades that sprung from the Eric Lindros deal has finally come to an end. Kinda fitting it happens on the same day that it's announced that Lindros is headed to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:22 pm 

Huh...actually surprised by this news: Brad Stuart is being bought out. Keep in mind this is the team that did exactly ZERO amnesty buyouts during that two-year period you could do so.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/27/av ... fensively/

Not surprising because he should stay around--he's been beyond useless--but the fact is that since he's a 35+ and this is the final year of his deal, a buyout brings no cap relief whatsoever. However, it does save them $$$, so I suppose it's one of those instances where you may as well do it.

Well, once again I'm left wondering if Sakic and Roy learned their lesson. Trading for and then inexplicably extending Stuart was a failure on every imaginable level. I'm also guessing he's done in the NHL, though one or two desperate teams might come calling.

The good news is because of this and the departures of Holden and Guenin, the Avs are definitely gonna skew waaaaay young on the blueline next year. It'll probably be something like this:

Beauchemin - Johnson
Bigras - Barrie
Gelinas - Zadorov
Bodnarchuk

Yup, that's really effin' young, and probably not all that great, but it's got tons more potential than the collection of pylons patrolling the blueline before.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:23 am 
OTP Historian

Don't see Ericsson in there yet. Not sure why.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:07 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Don't see Ericsson in there yet. Not sure why.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:24 pm 

Yup, the Eric Lindros trade chain has officially ended.

http://nhlnumbers.com/2016/6/28/the-end ... rade-chain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:23 pm 

The Avs are ripe for a Bergevin-type move. Right now they have limited cap space, holes all over the roster, and young, talented players who have run hot and cold (but of course, most all players run hot and cold). Roy spoke in pretty scary tones after the Avs somehow managed to fail miserably at making the playoffs, a time when making the playoffs was a ridiculously low bar to clear. And ownership will not tolerate a cap-strapped team missing the playoffs. They more or less cleaned house the last time that happened.

I could see them making a stupid move, perhaps moving Duchene or Landeskog, only the latter of whom has any sort of trade protection. I think I too will be done with my team if they move Duchene. Landeskog being moved would truly upset me but not near as much as losing Duchene.

Basically, if you can't build a winner around Duchene, Landeskog, and MacKinnon, then you have no business running an NHL team.

And of course, the market for defensemen is not exactly favorable given what went down yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:38 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Basically, if you can't build a winner around Duchene, Landeskog, and MacKinnon, then you have no business running an NHL team.

Not to mention Tyson Barrie and what Varlamov has given them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:42 pm 
King of Men

Av-merican wrote:

And of course, the market for defensemen is not exactly favorable given what went down yesterday.

Unfortunately I think you're right. The Avs now have a good old boy network established in the Front Office who have been unable to address the obvious D problem. Ownership seems to be satisfied with the Rockies model of presenting a sub-par product and shipping off their productive players when they fall out of budget. I would not be surprised to see this team panic and trade out a building block before the season begins.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:49 pm 

Fuck.

http://www.tsn.ca/trade-bait-watch-the- ... s-1.518690

Fuck.

FUUUUUUUCK.

Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck Fuck

Fuck.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:14 pm 

Oh boy...ooooooooh shit. Now Mirtle says Colorado is about to do something big. Rumors abounding it's gonna involve Landeskog, Barrie, or both.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next