OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:36 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

The 0-8 Blue Jackets come to Pepsi Center. Avs fans were really, REALLY hoping they'd get a win before tonight.

I read from Larry Brooks that Torts told Ryan Johansen that he's out of shape and has subsequently benched him for most of the 3rd period in both games he's coached so far. He might just be a tad difficult to re-sign after next season if this keeps up.

As for the Avs, they sent Mikko down, called Everberg up, and now FINALLY have something resembling a checking line:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Tanguay
Comeau - Duchene - Iginla
Mitchell - Soderberg - Everberg
McLeod - Grigorenko - Skille

This is the third and final game of Tyson Barrie's suspension. Hopefully this means the end of Nate Guenin as an Avs regular, but I'm fearing Roy will just scratch Gormley again.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:54 am 

Most importantly, Avs are gonna be wearing these bad boys for the first time ever:

There are some small tweaks that'd make these much better, but overall I really like them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:13 pm 
Big in Japan

Sheena Easton. My bae. :zoid:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:28 pm 

Johansen reportedly out due to sickness.

Hmmmmmmm....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:16 am 

Well, ya HAD to know that was going to happen. Avs now hand another winless team their first victory.

Honestly I came away from this feeling a little bit better about the Avs' chances this season. Yeah, it was a shitshow, but there were actually positives.

One thing that really stood out to me--the Avs lost a lot of faceoffs and missed a shit ton of shots. And not one-timers from the point either, I'm talking point-blank wristers. Can't expect to win if you can't hit the damned net. It's clear they're panicking a bit already. Not terribly surprising, they're a very young team, but they gotta do better.

Also, Allaire is really gonna have to start working hard with Varlamov. He's gone from being Vezina-caliber to a rebound machine. He wasn't the primary reason the Avs lost by any means, but he wasn't good.

The playoffs are not out of the question, but they're already in a very big hole due to the simple fact that they are the worst team in the best division in hockey. Avs have gotta dig deep here and find at least a couple wins during the upcoming road trip or we're pretty much looking at a redux of last season.

I'm not quite as angry at Roy as I was before, but I still think he's not doing a great job of coaching. I can't tell for the life of me what the defensive system is supposed to be, except one that allows the points all the room in the world to let loose because the guys are collapsing down low.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:03 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Sorry your team had to be the first to lose to Torts. And I have to admit, I was really hoping something controversial would happen during this game, so Torts & Roy would go at it in a Battle for the Biggest Asshole (take that as you will).