OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:33 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Avs fan site Eurolanche is reporting that Patrick Roy has reached out to Alexander Radulov about returning to the NHL. Stay tuned...

Does anyone own his rights? The Avs would be pretty far down the waiver pecking order. Would he refuse to report to any team but the Avs?

He doesn't have to pass through waivers unless he starts the season in the KHL, right? If he does there's no way in hell he's gonna make it to the Avs.

Not sure how contracts in the KHL work. It seems pretty easy to terminate them, and now that the whole league is in financial turmoil, I'm not sure they can even afford to pay him.

I thought Kovalchuk was going to have to pass through waivers regardless? Did Radulov not retire? Does someone own his rights then?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 4:37 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

All of those guys are UFAs. Kovalchuk needs approval from all the league's teams to un-retire. No one has to go through waivers.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:45 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Mike Chambers reports the Avs will be making "minor changes" to their uniforms and will debut them at this year's draft. I can only hope they're going back to the pre-EDGE jersey design and we have finally seen an end to the armpit-striped aprons the Avs currently wear.

Also heard Reebok is officially out. Wish they could take their shitty uniforms with them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:27 pm 

More stuff being reported, too lazy to post links. Go to denverpost.com and you'll find it.

Chambers reporting that Jan Hejda and Ryan Wilson are most definitely gone, and likely Stefan Elliott as well. I wouldn't have minded them bringing back Hejda if they HADN'T signed Brad Stuart. But Roy and Sakic made this mess, now they gotta deal with it. Wilson was a decent-enough 6/7th defender, but injuries have pretty much ended his professional career.

As for Elliott, he's no star, but has more than enough talent and puck savvy to be a pro at this point, but the Avs seem far too interested in big slow shot blockers. That's a shame, I hope he gets a legit shot somewhere and proves them wrong. Personally I think he has a better shot at the pros than his old Blades d-partner Duncan Siemens, whom the Avs are very high on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:09 pm 
Big in Japan

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/colo ... n-oreilly/

They're listening to offers on ROR. When you can't lock up a core guy, sometimes it's best to deal him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:44 pm 

I think we all knew this was going to end in a trade. A shame, but it's clear he's either going to get a max deal, or he's gonna test the market.

Avs apparently have big interest in Czech center Pavel Zacha:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2015/05 ... ays/21456/

Unfortunately, that means they could pass on either of the highly-touted defensive prospects (Provorov/Werenski) that will likely fall to them at #10 in the draft. I realize the whole thing about "draft the best player available" philosophy, but they need to realize that a defensive prospect base consisting of Chris Bigras, Duncan Siemens, and Stefan Elliott (who is probably on the way out anyway) ain't gonna fucking cut it. Unless they somehow snag an ace blueliner in exchange for O'Reilly, which isn't likely, I don't see how in hell they can be going for ANOTHER center.

The other issue is somehow finding a way to boot all these terrible contracts on the roster. Somehow the Avs went fairly cheap on a lot of scrubs and still somehow ended up with boat anchors eating up valuable cap space on the roster. Last offseason was a full-on disaster for Colorado...and this offseason could be worse.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:29 am 

In:
Mikko Rantanen
Nikita Zadorov
Mikhail Grigorenko
J.T. Compher

Out:
Ryan O'Reilly
Jamie McGinn
Jordan Caron (not qualified RFA)

So all in all a pretty eventful day for the Avs (who also signed Soderberg today). Nickolet asked on Twitter if they're a better or worse team than they were 24 hours ago. I think they're definite worse but there's now some young pieces and more cap room, so the present looks bad, but the near-future might not be.

Also interesting to note: Avs apparently saw enough to take another chance on oft-injured Joey Hishon and qualified him. However, they cut former Bruin Jordan Caron loose.

Avs were in the market for a talented LHD and got one. Now they gotta find a way to boot some dead weight off the roster and possibly bolster the team's depth. They definitely could use a defensive forward or two. I hear Dan Winnik's available.

Also, this Rantanen kid sure looks like a good pickup. It's a shame none of the big-name D prospects fell to #10, but what can ya do?

Lastly the Avs said they were tweaking their uniforms, and everyone hoped it was the end of the dreaded "unipron". No such luck. The Yeti footprint shoulder patch got switched out with a Colorado state flag C, which of course was a central feature of the old Colorado Rockies jerseys. All in all, I suppose if the worst thing your team does on draft day is not fix a bad jersey, I suppose that's a good day.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:01 am 

Huh. I had completely forgotten about this. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:22 am 
Big in Japan

Probably a good sign for Grigorenko that his old Remparts coach thinks he's worth a flyer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:35 am 

Avs trade down from 31 to 39 with San Jose and get back the picks they dealt in the Brad Stuart deal.

As most Avs fans put it, this essentially erases the Stuart deal, except for the fact that Stuart is still on the roster. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:11 am 

And now newly-named Director of Amateur Scouting (seriously, the announcement was made the day before the draft thereabouts) Alan Hepple's first draft is in the books. Some Euros, some kids from the Q, and one NCAA prospect who played with Jack Eichel. But what's really notable is not a single player came from either the WHL or OHL, where Rick Pracey mined for talent almost exclusively. He eschewed kids from the Q and Europe, and it sure as hell appears that the new brain trust is making a point of shifting organizational philosophy in a big way.

Also notable, the Avs have upped their Russian quotient through trades and drafting BIG time. The last Russkie drafted by the Avs prior to this year was Denis Parshin in 2004. Parshin never made the jump.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:39 pm 

Utterly useless to try and speculate an opening night lineup, which is why I'm doing it. Sakic speculated where Soderberg might slot in, so we'll start there.

Tanguay - Duchene - Iginla
Landeskog - Soderberg - MacKinnon
Everberg - Hishon - Grigorenko
McLeod - Mitchell - Bordeleau
Winchester(?), Cliche, Compher, Hamilton

Zadorov - Johnson
Stuart :roll: - Barrie
Holden - Redmond
Guenin

Varlamov
Berra/Pickard

I kinda hope this WON'T be the roster, because that lineup ain't winning a lot of games.

This of course doesn't factor in whether or not guys like Borna Rendulic, Duncan Siemens, or even Chris Bigras will make the team. And free agency could change things as well.

I hope at least Stefan Elliott gets qualified and traded and not simply cut loose. The smart move would be to retain him and find some dumping ground for Stuart/Holden/Guenin...or all three in an ideal world. But I know that's not going to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:27 pm 

Oh yeah, forgot about that Rantanen kid...possibility they plug him into the lineup right away, though it'd probably be prudent to wait.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:35 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Hishon ain't an NHLer.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:51 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Hishon ain't an NHLer.

Probably not, but neither is Marc-Andre Cliche.

Or Nate Guenin.

Or Nick Holden.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:06 pm 

Of course there's also former 1st rounder Conner Bleackley to consider, though he's likely not going to make the team this year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9