OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:55 pm 
OTP Historian

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6892 ... l:topheads

Quote:
Colorado Avalanche goalie Semyon Varlamov turned himself in to Denver police department detectives Wednesday on domestic violence-related charges. Police said he is in Denver County jail.

Police said Varlamov was arrested on second-degree kidnapping and third-degree assault charges. The kidnapping charge is a Class 4 felony, punishable by to two to six years in prison under Colorado law; the assault charge is a misdemeanor.

The Denver Post reports Varlamov will remain in jail at least overnight because he cannot post bail with an assault charge; he will appear before a judge Thursday morning. Varlamov, jail officials said, is in a cell alone because of his celebrity. When reached by the Post at the jail, he declined an interview with the paper.

The Avalanche said in a statement the team "is aware of the allegations concerning Semyon Varlamov. At this time, and until the conclusion of this investigation, the Avalanche organization will have no further comment on this situation."

Holy shit :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:42 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

*sigh*

Get home after an eight hour drive and this is the first thing that pops up on my phone.

Unfortunately his coach is in no position to dole out advice.

Would not be surprised if this costs Varly the shot at a major payday he would've definitely gotten after this season. Fucking dumbass.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:53 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Av-merican wrote:
*sigh*

Get home after an eight hour drive and this is the first thing that pops up on my phone.

Unfortunately his coach is in no position to dole out advice.

Would not be surprised if this costs Varly the shot at a major payday he would've definitely gotten after this season. Fucking dumbass.

Sounds like it could cost him several major paydays. Yikes.

Hope his family is alright.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:37 am 
King of Men

This isn't a Roy breaks down a door domestic issue....this sounds ugly. Apparently Rick Lewis on the Fox (a classic rock station) is good friends with the couple that helped out "E.V.". He's dishing her side right now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:41 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

One reaction from Russia:

Quote:

“I’m confident of Semyon’s innocence. I think it is sports and political move, as Varlamov is a candidate for the Russian national team. The main goal is to suspend him from training and games so that he loses practice and misses the Olympics.”

-State Duma deputy Igor Ananskikh, a member of Russia's most outspoken nationalist party, LDPR.

Some deluded dumbasses still fighting the cold war I guess.

http://en.rsport.ru/hockey/20131031/698068144.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:49 pm 

The police report is quite damning...hopefully it's false. I'm certainly not counting on that though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:57 pm 
King of Men

The Sochi Conspiracy! Next thing you know they'll be telling us she deserved it.

:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:10 pm 
King of the One-Liner

Sochi Conspiracy that is so ludicrous.

Obviously Harmy got to her in an attempt to bring me down in the auction fantasy league.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:12 pm 
King of Men

Quote:
His arrest warrant details the alleged assault, which took place Monday. In addition to kicking the woman, police say Varlamov told her in Russian that if this were Russia, he would have beat her more.

:wookie:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:24 pm 

Slava Malamud and Ryan Lambert are having an interesting exchange on Twitter about this.

I have a feeling this will end like a lot of incidents involving professional athletes--a massive payoff.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:16 pm 

The accusations are going from disturbing to outlandish...but we'll see what the DA ultimately thinks.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:32 am 
King of Men

I agree.......no offense to this lady but I think she smells a payday.

Quote:
Robert Abrams, the attorney for Vavrinyuk, said the couple had been dating for a year and that Varlamov assaulted her on four other occasions. Abrams said this one wasn't the most serious -- and followed hours of drinking by Varlamov -- but that his client decided to tell police this time because after the assault she went home and found all her things had been thrown into the hallway and her bank account had been cut off by Varlamov.

3 sides to every story.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:36 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Could also be read as she was putting up with abuse from Varlamov as a sacrifice she made to have a rich, athletic boyfriend. Whether she was in the relationship for love or not doesn't mean the abuse didn't happen or justifies it.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:43 am 
King of Men

No but it is pretty convenient that when the money stopped being dealt out the allegations began. I can't comment on Russian Culture or their attitude towards women and relationships......all I can imagine is that if and when she does get paid she probably shouldn't go back to Russia again. Especially if he can't make Sochi.

I think she's in cohoots with this Lawyer fellow Abrams friend of Fox radio station guy Rick Lewis........who conveniently leaked it the airwaves. She was chuckling yesterday during her interview. There's my tinfoil hat.

Something stinks here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:28 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Varlamov in nets tonight. Innocent until proven guilty!

But IF he beat her up it doesn't matter if she's squeezing him for dough or not. Beating up women = cowardly scumbag and he deserves to be punished and pay the dough.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:31 pm 
King of Men

hammer wrote:

But IF he beat her up it doesn't matter if she's squeezing him for dough or not. Beating up women = cowardly scumbag and he deserves to be punished and pay the dough.

Certainly agree.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:14 am 

The Avs' reasoning behind starting Varlamov against the Stars.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_ ... mov-travel

I questioned the decision at the time, but it's true, he's innocent until proven guilty, and obviously the courts thought it was okay for him to travel.

Again, way too early to make determinations one way or another. I called the alleged victim's charges "outlandish" and that was probably out of line. I don't want to start scrutinizing and discrediting a person who may very well have suffered severe abuse, nor do I want to make a knee-jerk reaction the other way and believe that Varlamov is indeed a monster.

I'm guessing the DA will go ahead and press charges and Varly will have his day in court. Avs just gotta keep on keepin' on. Hopefully Sami Aittokallio is ready for some spot duty in the NHL.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:15 pm 

Varlamov charged w/3rd degree assault.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ ... ed-assault

Basically, there's a chance he could be deported, but not likely. All in all, the kind of softball charge I full expected. Lame.

I don't think Varly's a monster, but if there was evidence he truly beat this girl, then charge him accordingly. If not, then drop the case.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:00 pm 

Charges officially dropped at the request of prosecutors.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24767 ... source=nav