OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:23 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Giguere follows up, and some reactions from teammates.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_ ... tid=463964

This is my favorite part:

Quote:
"We know we're going to have the same group, essentially the same players, so why not try to change that mentality, that culture, right now?"

At least Jiggy understands what's broken. It's not the players, it's not even the coach (even though at this point, it is). It's the culture. I hope ownership takes a look at this and makes major changes in the hierarchy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:35 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Culture is illusive and hard to pin down but when players don't trust the management things get real ugly fast. Hopefully for your sake you get your Galchenyuk/Bergevin/Therrien type equivalents and you put this year behind you as fast as possible.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:15 pm 

saskhab wrote:
Culture is illusive and hard to pin down but when players don't trust the management things get real ugly fast. Hopefully for your sake you get your Galchenyuk/Bergevin/Therrien type equivalents and you put this year behind you as fast as possible.

Unfortunately a "Therrien" equivalent would probably be Tony Granato or Marc Crawford. :shock: Funny how well he's working out for you guys right now.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:34 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
it's not even the coach (even though at this point, it is).

Quote:
After Monday's game, Giguere said the players don't understand how to play defense

That is most certainly a coaching issue...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:33 am 

Bosc wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
it's not even the coach (even though at this point, it is).

Quote:
After Monday's game, Giguere said the players don't understand how to play defense

That is most certainly a coaching issue...

Oh it definitely is...I should've said coaching is not the BIGGEST issue regarding this club. It goes far deeper than that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:13 am 

Between Dustin Penner and the Kings official feed, LA might be the funniest team on Twitter. :laugh:

Anyone catch Penner's bit of smack talk following the game?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:26 pm 

Reportedly Lacroix has been spotted lurking more and more around the Pepsi Center...I'm guessing the axe will be swinging in full force this offseason.

Kinda sad that the freakin' Edmonton Oilers look more decisive than the Avs do at present. Both are in similar situations, though at least Lacroix has the resume as a front office exec to back up the arrogance. Unfortunately I don't think that makes it any better.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:10 pm 

AV you might find it interesting that Kroenke is also pissing off the people of Merrit as well. Seems his royal dickishness is large enough to fill the whole area of the worlds largest ranch as well.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/bc-residents-take-on-ranchers-over-access-to-fishing-lake/article2002874/?service=mobile

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:58 pm 

I read on Twitter somewhere that even Piers Morgan took Kroenke to task for his mishandling of Arsenal. It seems like the old man has made quite a few enemies around the globe.

The Denver Post's best writer weighs in on the current situation:

http://www.denverpost.com/frei/ci_23076 ... -days-seem

More of the same, really, but it's nice to see someone finally addressing the real problem concerning the Avs: Lacroix. Even if ownership really is pulling the purse strings tight, the O'Reilly debacle and other blunders have convinced me that Lacroix is the main perpetrator here. This organization won't ever climb out of the pit with him holding it down.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:06 pm 

The best writer for the Denver Post covers not just sports, but hockey? Man, that must be a shitty paper.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:00 am 

Glad that's finally over.

The plusses:

Matt Duchene proved that he is indeed a franchise player.

Ryan O'Reilly proved again that he too is a franchise player.

P.A. Parenteau was worth every penny this year.

Jean-Sebastien Giguere is a better coach than Joe Sacco.

Stefan Elliott and Tyson Barrie resisted the Avs' best efforts to marginalize them.

We are guaranteed no lower than 3rd overall. Again.

The minuses (some, not all, or I'll be here all night):

Lacroix is still in charge when he should be riding off into the sunset.

No guarantee Sherman or even Sacco will be fired when better coaches/GMs have already been kicked to the curb.

Wearing the C took a toll on Gabriel Landeskog's play.

The Avs have now completely wasted two years of the three year deal they signed Semyon Varlamov to after trading a 1st and 2nd for him, and given their past track record with RFAs...

Erik Johnson was above average at best, while Chris Stewart and Kevin Shattenkirk were major factors behind the Blues' success this season.

Even the Ty Rattie/Duncan Siemens aspect of that trade looks like a wash.

Greg Zanon and Matt Hunwick played meaningful minutes nearly the entire season, and no one in the organization seemed to have a problem with this.

Meanwhile it'll likely be Shane O'Brien heading out the door, even though he played better than either of them.

Even if Sacco/Sherman get fired, it won't solve the underlying problem.

Hope springs eternal. I'll be donning my burgundy and blue once again next year. If even the Blue Jackets and Islanders can figure it out, I think the Avs will as well. Just a matter of when, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:58 am 

So Sacco is sacked, Eric Lacroix has departed the organization, and our draft guru Rick Pracey will be representing the Avalanche at tonight's lottery. Methinks the axe hath not finisheth swinging. Of course it was Sherman who announced Sacco's firing, so I'm probably reading too much into this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:20 pm 

SETH JONES IS OURS!!!!!! :fap: :dance: :woop: :viking: :clint: :smilecool: :Butch: :Butch: :Butch: :Butch:

Assuming he makes the team next year (not a definite of course, but given how crappy this blueline corps is I'd say it's likely) it gives the Avalanche four right-handed puckmoving defenders with him, Elliott, Barrie, and Johnson.

Left-handed blueliners currently on the roster are: Jan Hejda, Ryan Wilson, Shane O'Brien, Greg Zanon, and Matt Hunwick :jerkbag: Given how things went down with SOB this year and the fact that he's good friends with Ryan O'Reilly, I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest to see him traded this offseason. There's also Duncan Siemens, but I can't imagine he won't need some AHL time (probably reunited with his old Blades partner Stefan Elliott in Cleveland).

While I would LOVE to see Hunwick and Zanon blasted out the nearest airlock, it probably isn't a logical thing to do, especially considering that Ryan Wilson simply can't stay healthy.

So that leaves the dire need for a sniper-type winger, and possibly a checking center if the Avs go ahead and move Paul Stastny, which seems likely. Of course if Lacroix has anything to say about it, Ryan O'Reilly will be on the first plane outta town come deadline time or the offseason--I believe if the NHL participates in Sochi, the deadline then gets pushed back beyond the moratorium currently in place and they can trade him at the deadline. That said, it would be immensely stupid to hitch the wagon to Stastny and Duchene rather than Duchene and O'Reilly with no real center prospects in the pipeline.

At this point I don't believe Sherman will get canned, even though he deserves to be. He most assuredly will be if the Avs falter once again. He knows even ownership is running out of patience.

In the end, it's been said before, but if there was a year to tank it, it was this one. It was only 48 games of misery rather than 82, and we're gonna end up with the kid who was simply destined to play in Denver. That said...this season was an abysmal and embarrassing failure on so many levels, and so far only one head has rolled. Not enough. The culture is broken, and it'll take a lot more than Joe Sacco's departure and Seth Jones's arrival to fix it.

Now begins the search for a head coach. Given the fact Greg Sherman reportedly sat out the lottery ceremony because he was busy looking for Sacco's replacement suggests the Avs will actually conduct a legitimate search for candidates. We'll see. If it ends up being Tim fucking Army than Sherman's absence was nothing more than a lame smokescreen. Guys who are definitely in the mix are Jacques Martin, Steve Konowalchuk, Tim Army, Adam Deadmarsh, Dean Chynoweth, and of course, Patrick Roy. I don't see Joe Sakic taking on that role.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:21 pm 

One thing I like about picking Jones for the Avs even though I think MacKinnon is more likely to be a stud is that the Avs have three star level forwards already on the roster. When teams are just starting their rebuild and pick a D with high end forwards still on the table it's pretty much guaranteed to go bust on them. Erik Johnson, Roman Hamrlik, Ed Jovanovski, Bryan Berard, etc. Only Chris Phillips has stuck with his team from 1st overall past free agency and it's probably because the Sens had a good stable of forwards in place at the time, which became great when they picked Hossa the next year.

They can pick Jones a bit guilt-free as a result.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:49 pm 

Yeah...I suppose he has some cushion there, but man, that'd suck if we just ended up with another Erik Johnson. I read that Jones's game compares to EJ's, which isn't the best thing to hear since EJ turned in yet another year of mediocre hockey.

As for EJ himself, still haven't given up on him, but next year is make-or-break. Enough already--he either starts becoming an impact two-way defender, or he ends up another Eric Brewer. He definitely had legit excuses given the absolute crap he had surrounding him, but he'll be out of excuses next year, even if they decide to bring Greg Zanon back.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:33 pm 

Not Avs-related, but it appears things are quite chaotic across the pond in regards to Kroenke's rather neglectful ownership of Arsenal:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... z2S2F3OXiA

Sometimes I wonder if Kroenke's just a bored billionaire. Why go to the massive expense of buying one of Britain's most popular football clubs if you're not even going to make it competitive? Is it just so you can say you own one? Weird.

Anyway, I've maintained there are far worse owners out there than Stan Kroenke (his son Josh is more or less the de facto owner now that Stan is pursuing majority ownership of the St. Louis Rams), but as Justin Bourne put it recently, we're entering Islanders territory. Funny, since the Islanders are, for now, out of Islanders territory.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 4:25 pm 

On a side note, I'm reading (on HF, mind you) that Eric Lacroix resigned because his good buddy Joe Sacco was canned. Eric was also good friends and teammates with Tony Granato, who of course also ended up being a crappy coach for the Avs. If indeed Lacroix the Younger was responsible for these two travesties of bench bosses, I say to him...GOOD RIDDANCE!

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:01 pm 

From Friedmann's 30 Thoughts:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... ughts.html

Quote:
11. How badly did the Avalanche want the No. 1 pick? There were already rumours they were going to try and trade up if they didn't get it. All signs point to Seth Jones, especially after a season in which Colorado defencemen combined for one goal every 12 games.

12. What is the importance of taking a "hometown boy" in the draft? Jones discovered hockey in Toronto, where his father played with the NBA expansion Raptors (Popeye Jones is an awesome guy), but learned to play in Denver. Two NHL GMs gave similar answers: "You take the best player, no matter where he is from," one said. "That only becomes a factor when you're looking at two equal players. Then, his hometown might become a reason to take him."

13. There is a lot of curiosity about the Colorado front office. As in: "What is going to happen there?" Greg Sherman remains the GM, but the overall situation probably comes down to Joe Sakic's decision. If Sakic does decide to oversee the operation, it is believed that Craig Billington, currently the team's Vice-President of Player Development, will have a larger role.

14. If Sakic declines the offer (family reasons), what route do the Avalanche go? Is it still Sherman? Does Billington get the job anyway? Tough to say, because the organization is tough to read. If Colorado decides to look at external candidates, there could be a lot of interest. You're adding a number one pick to Matt Duchene, Gabriel Landeskog and Ryan O'Reilly (depending on what the team decides to do after his trade embargo is lifted).

15. When the Rangers were talking to Colorado about O'Reilly, Sherman asked for Derek Stepan. New York said no. Now we all know why. Stepan took a major leap this year.

16. Whenever the Avalanche coaching job comes up, you have to check with Patrick Roy. There were significant talks in 2009, but the two sides couldn't make a deal. Nicole Bouchard, who really runs the QMJHL Quebec Remparts, said by email: "Just talked to (Patrick) and he told me as of now nobody contacted him." That was Monday afternoon.

17. Will Lake Erie coach Dean Chynoweth be in the mix? Chynoweth worked hard with Tyson Barrie, a critical prospect for Colorado. He benched Barrie for one AHL game, because the blueliner was basically playing as "a rover," rather than attending to his defensive responsibilities. Barrie improved afterwards.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:10 pm 

Dater gettin' all the Seth Jones-watching in he can before the draft.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/avs/2013/05 ... y-2/13127/

Also, according to him Dean Chynoweth is the lead candidate for the head coaching job. Ugh.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:08 pm 

Can't find the link, but apparently there's a story by Elliotte Friedman that the Avs are waiting on Joe Sakic to make a decision on whether he wants more power in the organization. He was offered a promotion before and turned it down because he felt he wasn't ready. Once Sakic makes his decision one way or the other, I imagine the dominoes will fall pretty quickly, and some more heads could roll. But who knows?

Rumor has it (boy I say that a lot) that Craig Billington will be the next GM if Sherman is deemed to be the weakest link. I'd be okay with that so long as Rick Pracey sticks around.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14