OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:52 am 
Old Man of the Post

Av-merican wrote:
Now Dreger is saying the Avs are actively shopping Matt Duchene...sure hope to hell this isn't true.

Luongo for Duchene and Giguere...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:38 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Now Dreger is saying the Avs are actively shopping Matt Duchene...sure hope to hell this isn't true.

Luongo for Duchene and Giguere...

Avs are trading for a goalie? They should send a 1st rounder back as well.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:38 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Good...the Avs ink McGinn to a two year, $3.5 million deal, thus avoiding arbitration.

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_ ... o-year-3-5

Perfectly good deal, gives him a chance to prove whether or not his scoring streak upon joining the Avs was a complete fluke or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:13 pm 

Adam Proteau is not impressed with the Avs.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/4 ... enver.html

The thing that sucks is that the Avs are still in the process of determining who to build around. Yeah, obviously Landeskog, O'Reilly, and maybe Johnson are core players, but like Florida, these guys still lack someone who gives them an identity. I'm reluctant to blast management and ownership though, since I don't want any part of the ridiculous contracts being thrown around at free agents. The Avs made a pair of great moves to improve themselves around the deadline last year, so I won't sell Sherman short (say that three times fast) this time around. Ownership promised they will spend once the new CBA is in place...can't blame them there.

Of course, Filip Forsberg might very well have been the player I was alluding to earlier.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:19 am 
King of Men

Rockies on Ice!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:06 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

harmfuljays wrote:
Rockies on Ice!

So...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:07 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Adam Proteau is not impressed with the Avs.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/4 ... enver.html

The thing that sucks is that the Avs are still in the process of determining who to build around. Yeah, obviously Landeskog, O'Reilly, and maybe Johnson are core players, but like Florida, these guys still lack someone who gives them an identity.

It's nuts that Stastny and Duchene aren't mentioned here.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:00 pm 

Avs sign their first pick in this year's draft, Mitchell Heard. He's expected to report to Lake Erie at the start of the season.

Ryan O'Reilly STILL remains unsigned.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:10 pm 

JSG also signs a 1-year extension. Now both he and Varlamov become UFAs at the same time.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_213 ... -extension

I can't help but think this is in anticipation of a lockout. I can't remember, do contracts get tolled to the following season or does the year count regardless of whether there's a lockout?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:37 pm 

Um...Go Indians!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:32 pm 

Sad that I can't get too excited about an opening night roster since it's in Cleveland. Still some interesting names to note...if you're an Avs fan of course.

http://lakeeriemonsters.com.ismmedia.co ... roster.pdf

Prospects Joey Hishon, Michael Sgarbossa, and Mitchell Heard will be making their professional debuts, as will Sami Aittokallio and Calvin Pickard, who are the goaltenders. Barrie and Elliott of course made the squad. The only real AHL vet holdovers are Patrick Bordeleau, David van der Gulik, and Joel Chouinard.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:24 pm 
2 Legit 2 Quit

Av-merican wrote:
Sad that I can't get too excited about an opening night roster since it's in Cleveland. Still some interesting names to note...if you're an Avs fan of course.

Prospects Joey Hishon, Michael Sgarbossa, and Mitchell Heard will be making their professional debuts, as will Sami Aittokallio and Calvin Pickard, who are the goaltenders. Barrie and Elliott of course made the squad. The only real AHL vet holdovers are Patrick Bordeleau, David van der Gulik, and Joel Chouinard.

Where is EJ playing during the lockout?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:31 pm 

hammer wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Where is EJ playing during the lockout?

Good question, I have no idea. He hasn't yet followed Landeskog, Duchene, and Varlamov over to Europe.

Rumblings (mainly Dater) are that even if the lockout lifts, Varly will never return to the NHL. If so, great trade. :toot:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:26 pm 

Some encouraging/discouraging news...

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... ckout.html

Quote:
22. The Avalanche gave up first- and second-round picks to get Semyon Varlamov from Washington. Now, they have four young goalies in the AHL and ECHL receiving attention and praise. Going to be tough to find playing time for all these guys, but Sami Aittokallio is the one most often mentioned. He's beaten Oklahoma City twice already.

23. Last Saturday, Aitokallio had his mask up during warmups and was hit in the face with a puck. He wasn't supposed to play in that game, but was scheduled to start 24 hours later in Toronto. His face swelled up and he couldn't see. Calvin Pickard stepped in and put up a 40-save shutout. Pickard added another one Sunday in Texas. The Avalanche are going to have some decisions to make.

Mind you, I realize Pickard and Aitto have a LONG way to go before we start thinking of them as viable NHL goaltenders, but it's nice to hear. What's not so nice to hear is that the trade for Varly may not have been necessary. I suppose the Avs got so badly burned in the Craig Anderson ordeal that they decided a more substantial move was necessary, but I think they could have, and should have, explored other options. Much as I tried to tell everyone (mostly myself) that the deal was a good one, I believe losing out on a potential impact forward like Filip Forsberg on a team in serious need of impact forwards was a major, major gamble.

Anyway, this is all moot if there's no hockey this year.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:15 am 

ROR signs for 2 years in the KHL.

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2012/12/7 ... gnitogorsk

Smart move...gets to kill two birds with one stone. He finds a place to play until the lockout eventually ends, and he puts a whole shit-ton of pressure on the Avs, who really have NO excuse not to have re-signed him long term already.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2