OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:13 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

VS.

Alas, the beginning (and highlight) of the season is finally here! Joe Sakic, the greatest player to ever don a jersey here in Colorado, gets his number 19 lifted to the rafters. After that it's all downhill for the Avs as they will be the first team to take on the Heatley-ized Sharks.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?id=2009020003

Just show some gusto, some effort (unlike the listless, lost team we had last season) and I'll at least be content. Bench Tucker and Clark the entire game and I'll be thrilled.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:11 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

Man, I hope this is the beginning of a season where the Avs pleasantly surprise their fans...

...only to miss the playoffs by like a point.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:56 pm 

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13458087

Quote:
It will be quite the spectacle: Joe Sakic, accepting the retirement of his number 19 to the rafters, then skating with a lit torch and passing it to Matt Duchene. How's that for symbolism?

Keep reading and you'll find out this actually won't take place, but given the Avs propensity for hamming things up as much as they can, it wouldn't have surprised me. :lol:

Hey at least we're not rolling out a half-naked Spartan to read lines from the inside of his shield! We are, however, rolling out a new mascot. Whatever...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:56 pm 

Wow, staged or not that was kinda cool having him start his walk into the arena from the new "Pillar of Fame" right outside the Pepsi Center.

Anyway, end of 2, can't tell if the Avs look that good or the Sharkies that bad. I swear I only heard Emrick mention Heatley's name once in the last period. He has been a complete non-factor thus far. Thornton is shooting it more, doesn't seem to want to pass it to Heatley. Boyle has had a forgettable night, turning the puck over numerous times and deflected a goal into his own net. And even the Vs. team has called out Malhotra. Simply awful. And I'm not going to even get started on Nabokov doing his best impression of David Aebischer. Overall the Sharks just look sloppy and disorganized. The Avs have been aggressive, physical, and pretty much have controlled the play, though at times they seem to be running around a bit too much in their own zone. Anderson has been good, I don't know about great but I like what I see thus far.

And...what's this? Some actual effort from one Mr. Darcy Tucker!

Duchene still looking very raw but then shows some flashes of brilliance. He finally brought the people out of their seat with about a minute to go on the PK, almost singlehandedly scored a shorthanded goal. Love what I'm seeing from Quincey. Didn't realize he played as big as he is.

Best player on the ice by FAR though has been Milan Hejduk. The guy has not stopped skating since the first drop of the puck and is seemingly everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:04 am 

5-2 win! Avs look fairly dominant throughout. Sharks look like they have a ton of kinks to work out before they can start winning. Just about everyone in teal looked bad...maybe their strategy is to sneak in as the 8th seed and turn it on in the postseason...?

Wolski always seems to start out well. 2 goals tonight, his fourth season opener in a row in which he's scored. I hope he realizes he needs to keep this kind of effort up.

Duchene has some learning to do but damn is he fun to watch! Had at least three breakaway opportunities, one of which was shorthanded.

As for the other new Avs, I was impressed, especially with Quincey. Dude does it all and played in all situations. After one game I love this acquisition. Hendricks provides some speed and grit to the fourth line, and Anderson was solid in net. Koci, well, he did what he needed to do. I hope O'Reilly suits up and sees major ice time next game.

Sacco appears to be emphasizing a strong forecheck and a collapsing defense down low. Only problem is that they left the points open all night and as a result got stuck in their own end for extended periods. The PK didn't seem to really click until the 2 minute 5-on-3. I imagine Duchene will be seeing a hell of a whole lot of time killing penalties.

Other thoughts: Darcy Tucker was actually a factor out there, good for him. I liked what I saw from Galiardi, did not like what I saw from Stewart.

That all being said...it's one game. Yeah, I can't help but be excited, but I remember the Avs starting out well last season too. Hey, it's nice the kids managed a big win on Joe Sakic night, and I'll just leave it at that. A lot to be optimistic over, but some major flaws that I'm positive will be exploited in time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:26 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Hey, if Tucker plays well, you can flip him for a pick at the deadline.

It's good to see teams win when they celebrate a past great. If only the Habs could find a way to win on those nights...

And hey, the Avs are ahead of the Canucks and tied for the NE lead now! Go over to that forum and gloat... it might be your last chance to do so!

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:16 am 

Oops...I screwed up, O'Reilly DID play, just didn't log a ton of minutes. Didn't look great in the limited time he was given (now I remember seeing him out there wearing Drury's old #37 thinking for some odd reason it was Hensick) but I don't think anyone really can. Hopefully he will get some more ice time next game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:20 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Thornton is shooting it more, doesn't seem to want to pass it to Heatley.

Seeing how much Joe has turned into a perimeter passer, it's good that he's shooting more. Knowing how Joe plays, teams will just look for the pass to Heatley and cover it, giving him even more room or time. He should be shooting more.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:29 am 
Old Man of the Post

BoscUlrichIII wrote:
Av-merican wrote:
Thornton is shooting it more, doesn't seem to want to pass it to Heatley.

Seeing how much Joe has turned into a perimeter passer, it's good that he's shooting more. Knowing how Joe plays, teams will just look for the pass to Heatley and cover it, giving him even more room or time. He should be shooting more.

Yup... And in a strange sort of way, Thornton shooting more opens up more scoring opps for Heatley.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:35 am 
2 Legit 2 Quit

I turned it off after 2nd. The D looked brutal and Nabby was no prize. Nice to see marleau scoring and Pavelski looked good. Heatley invisible, hopefully he comes out mad.

Fire Mclennan! ;) ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:29 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

saskhab wrote:
And hey, the Avs are ahead of the Canucks and tied for the NE lead now!

Dang, you know you're doing well when you're leading a division you're not even in! ;)