OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:03 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

It had to wait but after tonight Jared Bednar will have coached more games than any other coach in Avalanche history.

That's kinda surprising to me because the Avs have only had a handful of coaches in their 25-year history and none of them were even interim guys (Crawford, Hartley, Granato, Quenneville, Granato again, Sacco, Roy, and Bednar) but it appears JB has been here longer than I realized. Even in a couple truncated seasons he will surpass Bob Hartley tonight.

Martin Kaut, whom the fans have been clamoring to see, will play in only his second NHL game of the season tonight with both Donskoi and Rantanen stuck in quarantine. Goalie is either gonna be Johansson or Dubnyk (boy that is still weird as hell to type).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:12 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Saw a stat that the Senators had like 1338 hits vs the Avs having 690. Controlling the puck really reduces your ability to lead the league in stats like hits. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:49 pm 
Big in Japan

Patrick Roy has an agent and is looking for coaching or GM work...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:34 am 

E.L. wrote:
Patrick Roy has an agent and is looking for coaching or GM work...

I’m guessing Colorado ain’t on his list. :lol:

I’d love for him to take over in Montreal and maybe find a way to hire his old buddy Craig Billington away from Denver.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:23 pm 

Avs turn in a couple stinkers against the Blues, losing two in a row for the first time in a very long time.

Injuries and COVID finally took their toll. Avs also just look...done. They're clearly ready for the postseason and turned in a "fuck this shit" effort yesterday. Not an excuse, but that's definitely what happened. I think now that Rantanen and Grubauer are finally out of protocol we'll see some improvement. I hope they realize they really should go for that Presidents Trophy is they can get it. Enter the playoffs strong.

The only players whose play is really concerning are Kadri, Graves, and Nemeth. Nemeth, Bednar pointed out, has missed about a month's worth of hockey, so he has a ton of rust to knock off, but Kadri and Graves need to get their shit together. Tyson Jost has been fantastic as the team's answer for their third line center issue, but he's not good enough to fill in any higher in the lineup. Kadri just looks lost right now and needs to find his game again. He was good in the postseason bubble so I'm expecting the same out of him in these playoffs as well.

I'm guessing the plan is to bring Newhook along slowly and hopefully fill in at the 2C spot eventually, thereby allowing the Avs to move on from Kadri when his team-friendly contract expires in 2022.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:48 pm 

Goddamn motherfuckin' SHIT.

Bednar reports both Bowen Byram and Logan O'Connor had setbacks in their rehab stints--both are still out, possibly long-term.

Rantanen, Donskoi, and Grubauer are making their way back, but won't be available in the upcoming Vegas series.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:05 pm 

Makes me feel spoiled to be mad about the fact that the Avs only last night lost three games in a row for the first time this entire season, but it was pretty rough to watch. Terrible performance in net for Mr. Devan Dubnyk, but it ain't like the team in front of him played exceptionally well. Once again, heading into the postseason, special teams and goaltending are a big problem.

Anyway, it'll be nice to finally get the three players who have been stuck in COVID protocol back, because the team sorely needs them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:46 pm 

Can't believe I'm saying this but...the most devastating injury to befall the Avs so far this year is none other than...Jacob MacDonald. Right now that defense is hurting bad without him.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 4:06 pm 

Nazem Kadri picks exactly the right time to get the monkey off his back, scoring the GTG in an OT comeback victory against the Sharks. HUGE win, especially considering that Grubauer did not bring his best game and the Avs played their worst period of the season in the 2nd.

Serious questions about Patrik Nemeth, who committed one of the worst turnovers off a horrible pass I've ever seen, which led directly to a goal against. What was so maddening about it is that it was an unforced error. He had no one on him, no one pressuring him, and yet he threw a horrid outlet pass into Tyson Jost's skates. A shame since he had his first actual decent game right beforehand, even scoring a nice goal to boot.

We are all eagerly awaiting the NHL debut of Alex Newhook, who was recently called up to the taxi squad. IMO put him in the Brandon Saad spot on Kadri's LW and give him some good power play time, preferably on the left side around the dot where he really seems to thrive. Bednar says there's a very good chance we see him on the current road trip, but did not commit exactly as to when.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:11 pm 

Avs blew an easy one last night against the Sharks, blowing a 2-0 lead, and it was the top line that was responsible for all the carnage. On the ice for the first two goals to lose the lead and then Landeskog commits the penalty that gave SJ the lead.

Anyway, I'm really not that mad. It's clear that this double-compressed schedule and injuries are really taking a toll. The Avs did not look motivated last night and frankly I wasn't even that psyched about it. Just start the fucking postseason already, I'm sick of this shit. Apparently so are they.

Silver lining: Bednar is great at letting young players and rookies have big roles off the bat, and he put young Alex Newhook at center on a line with Nazem Kadri and Andre Burakovsky. The line didn't score but they were dangerous whenever they were on the ice. Newhook was even taking defensive zone draws. It's nice when a coach actually trusts his young charges.

Devan Dubnyk is in isolation in San Jose for the rest of the season until he shakes the COVID bug. Hopefully no one else tests positive and we don't witness a fucking third COVID pause for the Avs.

I think there's five games left, one against the Golden Knights and four against the Kings. If the Avs win all of them, they win the West...er, sorry, the HONDA West. If they drop any of them then I'm guessing they'll be 2nd or 3rd seed behind Vegas and (possibly) Minnesota.

If there was one thing about this iteration of the Avs I truly dislike, it's their penalty kill. Just hate how passive it is and how much it relies on shot blocking. You'd think a team with so much speed and depth at their disposal would use something more aggressive, but...nope.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:28 pm 

Avs played like utter shit last night against a very, very shorthanded Vegas Big City Knights team last night, but still managed to eke out a win. I suppose the silver lining here is that Philipp Grubauer proved he can steal a game if need be. And boy did he ever. Avs were outplayed in every facet of the game, yet still won 2-1. The usually laconic Jared Bednar was visibly upset about his team's performance in the postgame Zoom presser.

Nathan MacKinnon missed the previous two games due to injury and was clearly still hurting last night. I'm guessing he's out for the remaining two games of the regular season and will try again once the playoffs start. If the Avs win these next two games, they lock up the Honda Civic West Division for sure, and possibly the Presidents Trophy. They'll probably have to do it without their best player though.

Alex Newhook had two assists, including a nifty play to set up the game-winner last night. I think he's here to stay but we'll see.

Avs called up fellow rookie Sampo Ranta to the taxi squad, hopefully he will provide some jump on the bottom two lines that have been sorely lacking.

They say Sammy Girard could be ready as soon as tomorrow, I certainly hope so because eeeeeegads...Patrik Nemeth has been horrendous. Indeed, all three of Sakic's low-key deadline acquisitions have been bad. All three players are most assuredly gone by season's end, but I think in hindsight he should've been a little more ambitious.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:52 pm 
Old Man of the Post

We would gladly have given you JV18 and Adam Gaudette for... Next to nothing.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 2:57 pm 

It all comes down to tonight. Avs take on the Kings for the Presidents' Trophy and home ice throughout the playoffs. And I believe it has to be a regulation win. This is the SLIMMEST of margins that they'll be winning or losing this.

I guess on one hand, if the Avs hadn't futzed around with an ECHL goalie as their backup who wasn't remotely acceptable in the NHL, they'd have had this thing wrapped up already. But then again, it's remarkable that they're even in this spot despite an insane amount of injuries, so for once I'll look at the bright side.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:48 am 
King of Men

Well that was impressive. I have to give it to them....they endured a lot this year. Players that I thought were questionable (Jost, Girard, Timmins) have blossomed.

This a good team, ready to win. My only remaining question is what happens when their time and space is gone. Certain players have a hard time pushing through that. We are going to find out really quick against St Louis how deep the Avs are going to go.

Its a shame that a lot of the Denver market hasn't been able to watch.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:07 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Well that was impressive. I have to give it to them....they endured a lot this year. Players that I thought were questionable (Jost, Girard, Timmins) have blossomed.

This a good team, ready to win. My only remaining question is what happens when their time and space is gone. Certain players have a hard time pushing through that. We are going to find out really quick against St Louis how deep the Avs are going to go.

Its a shame that a lot of the Denver market hasn't been able to watch.

Yep. The good news is that Altitude is lifting their blackout restrictions so everyone can bask in the supreme beauty of Lauren Jbara. Oh, they can watch the first round as well.

I agree the playoffs are a different kind of animal, and we will see how the Avs respond when you can clutch, grab, and slash the whole damned time. There is no Nikita Zadorov back there to smear a Matthew Tkachuk along the boards anymore. It'll be interesting to see, I certainly don't think it'll be a walk in the park with St. Louis (it would've been with Arizona though).

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 1:27 am 

Team refused to say why Erik Johnson and Bowen Byram have both missed so much time but it’s now been all but confirmed both have been dealing with concussions. Byram has returned to practice with two different tinted visors, and Pat Brisson told Adrian Dater that EJ really wants to play but is still “suffering symptoms.” A real shame. I don’t think anyone takes more pride in wearing that jersey than he does, and he’s suffered through a lot of injuries and disappointing seasons to get to this point.

Even though they should consider using him, they’ll understandably be cautious with Byram. I’ll be fairly surprised if we see him at all in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:58 pm 

Cool little story, Graysen Cameron, one of the few survivors of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash, swung by Denver while on his way back from a road trip and was given the star treatment by former Bronco Jared Bednar and the Avalanche. Got to sit and watch Game 1 between the Avs and Knights with Milan Hejduk, and also got to meet his idol, Cale Makar.

https://theathletic.com/2627059/2021/06 ... rable-day/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:16 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
Cool little story, Graysen Cameron, one of the few survivors of the Humboldt Broncos bus crash, swung by Denver while on his way back from a road trip and was given the star treatment by former Bronco Jared Bednar and the Avalanche. Got to sit and watch Game 1 between the Avs and Knights with Milan Hejduk, and also got to meet his idol, Cale Makar.

https://theathletic.com/2627059/2021/06 ... rable-day/

That's awesome. Well done CO teams!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:21 pm 
Big in Japan

Media asked Peter Deboer why other stars are being taken down in the playoffs but Colorado's persist: "They have seven of them."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:13 pm 

I'll have more to say after the Avs clean out their lockers and there's one final presser for everyone, but this one hurts. This should have been their year. They should have gone bigger at the deadline. They should have gotten more out of their best players. They should have gotten better goaltending. They should have gotten better coaching than they did. I hope everyone learned their lessons from this because, yes, they faced off against the one team that tied them atop the NHL standings, and came up short. But also, they squandered so many opportunities due to stupid mistakes, stretches of indifferent play, and bad personnel decisions.

Sakic should have been ALL IN this year. First rounder and/or a prime prospect should have been in play. Instead he played it safe, made some depth acquisitions, and all three of them (Dubnyk, Soderberg, and...Nemeth) were complete and total busts. Nemeth was literally responsible for a good number of goals against during the playoffs, and yet for some inexplicable reason, Bednar refused to take him out of the lineup despite the fact that he had two better options in MacDonald and Byram. That's on him, and frankly I've lost quite a bit of faith in him after this last run. He was clearly outcoached by DeBoer, both on and off the ice. A huge, huge failure on multiple levels. And some changes need to be made as a result, the cap is going to necessitate this anyway, but the team also had some big weaknesses that were exposed, that can't happen again.

I'm reading that, according to Friedman, Makar and the Avs both want to go for a long-term deal, which is gonna carry a big number with it. This is probably the best way to go, lock a guy up long-term in his prime years, right when the contention window is at its peak, and deal with the cap crunch. Sakic will be busy getting him, Landeskog, and possibly Grubauer locked up and then he'll have to turn his attention to clearing cap room. Also, the team probably needs to finally figure out what to do with Tyson Jost and J.T. Compher. Both as decent 4th line players, but that's about all they are, and it's time for both the players and the organization to move on.

Also reading that Erik Johnson is willing to waive his NMC, which is a must for the Avs. He was either going to have to waive it, or be bought out (the latter of which happened with Francois Beauchemin back before the Vegas draft). No way in hell Seattle takes him, so it shouldn't be a big deal. Personally I think they should buy him out anyway, unless he's headed to Robidas Island. He's pretty much done as an NHL player at this point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next