OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:45 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

I was surprised to see that the Avs have a better road record than at home. I mean still a solid home record but they seem to play a good road game. Either way, it bodes well for the playoffs. Any insights as to why?

Canucks, losers of 4 straight and really struggling to hold leads without MVP Markstom between the pipes host the Avs Friday. Uh oh. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:15 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Logical Progression wrote:
I was surprised to see that the Avs have a better road record than at home. I mean still a solid home record but they seem to play a good road game. Either way, it bodes well for the playoffs. Any insights as to why?

Canucks, losers of 4 straight and really struggling to hold leads without MVP Markstom between the pipes host the Avs Friday. Uh oh. :roll:

There is simply no explanation for it. They have better control over matchups and attendance has been great, so they get everything you could possibly want with home-ice advantage, yet they seem to have more and far more catastrophic breakdowns at home than on the road. I got to see them live against the Hawks and that may have been their worst home loss of the season, blowing a multi-goal lead in the 3rd period against a team that really didn't have anything to play for and was far inferior. It makes no sense.

We'll see what happens. Kaut is now gone, which takes a solid play-driver and depth winger with solid scoring ability and defensive prowess out of the lineup.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:19 am 
King of Men

AND....right on queue just as I was telling my wife last night.....MacKinnon should be the MVP as this team is dog shite without him...........down he goes.....hope its not long but at least they have 90 points so they should be able to limp in.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:42 am 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
AND....right on queue just as I was telling my wife last night.....MacKinnon should be the MVP as this team is dog shite without him...........down he goes.....hope its not long but at least they have 90 points so they should be able to limp in.

He has nearly twice as many points as the next best guy (Makar). That's pretty wild.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:43 pm 

Can't fault the team at this point--they're actually playing incredibly well (last night being a rare exception). They're driving play in all the right ways, and they're also suppressing shots to an elite degree, and that's without their best defenseman. Where they're getting killed is on offense, where they're generating tons of shots, but nothing's going in because virtually everyone who has the ability to put the puck in the net is hurt. And now MacKinnon joins the wounded...we don't yet know how serious.

Prior to this, Gabe Landeskog earned 2nd Star of the Week honors, and Hockey Gods only know how badly this team would be struggling if not for him.

This team is GOOD. Now if they could just get the fucking goddamned injury bug out of the fucking room, we could see what they're capable of.

Somewhat annoying now is the lack of communication from the club regarding injuries. Apparently Namestnikov was close to not playing, so they used an emergency callup to bring Martin Kaut back up, but then Namestnikov could go, so Kaut couldn't play and was sent back down after the game. Also, they just up and decided to play Nikita Zadorov and ice 7D (though they quickly moved Barberio up to the wing) which didn't jive with the team's own release regarding the starting lineup. When even the team-owned network and social media doesn't know what the fuck is going on, you know you have a problem. Just throw us a fucking bone, Avs. This isn't the Lacroix era. We didn't know about ANY of this regarding Kaut until Bednar's postgame presser--all we saw was Kaut being called up and not inserted into the lineup. Ken Hitchcock rightfully pointed out the bullshit regarding injury reports, there is no evidence whatsoever that players really target injured players if they know where the injury is (there is one example in recent years and it involves the Avs of course, but that's an exception, not a rule). I just wish thus dumbass practice would stop. Unfortunately it'll probably be the gambling thing that puts an end to it like it has with the NFL.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:48 pm 

I don't know if this is for real or if Nick Groke of the Athletic is messing with us, but...

https://twitter.com/nickgroke/status/12 ... 7141733376

Quote:
Larry Walker, soon-to-be baseball Hall of Famer, will be listed as the Avalanche's official emergency goaltender Sunday in Denver when they host Vegas. Growing up in B.C., he dreamed of playing in net in the NHL.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:56 pm 

Well now...

Quote:
Larry Walker, soon-to-be baseball Hall of Famer, will be listed as the Avalanche's official emergency goaltender Sunday in Denver when they host Vegas. Growing up in B.C., he dreamed of playing in net in the NHL.

The Denver Post is calling him an "honorary" EBUG, which I'm not sure is the same as an "official" one. So we'll see. Either way, he'll be at the game.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:42 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Well now...

Quote:

The Denver Post is calling him an "honorary" EBUG, which I'm not sure is the same as an "official" one. So we'll see. Either way, he'll be at the game.

Its exploitive shit like this that will close the loop hole.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:58 am 
OTP Historian

Seriously, the fuck is an "honourary EBUG"? :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:30 pm 

Pffffffffffffftttt...whatever. He'll get to drop the puck I'm sure, it's all good.

Martin Kaut has been recalled. Again. I guess there's another player who's iffy for tonight or they wouldn't be doing this. Again.

I hope that player isn't Nathan MacKinnon.

In other news...CALE MAKAR has been sighted this morning skating in a regular jersey. Sure hope he's ready or damned close. I'm definitely done with watching Kevin Connauton do little more than turn the puck over and give up numerous breakaways. Whatever window he had as an NHL player has slammed shut.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:46 pm 

And in other news...no Nathan MacKinnon. Or Vladislav Namestnikov. It was the latter who was iffy for the game on Monday against the Kings, hence the first Kaut ECU. Now it looks like for sure, one or both may not play.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:29 pm 

MacKinnon out 1-2 weeks with ye olde Lower Body Injury

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:11 am 

Cale returns and notches an assist on all three Avalanche goals tonight, including the OT winner, against the New York Rangers. No big deal.

He now has only three fewer points than Quinn Hughes in 10 fewer games. Just sayin'.

No Nathan MacKinnon, and yet this team scores TWO power play goals and manages to win in OT, two things they struggle with when #29 is in the lineup. Interesting. Guess they should just trade him then.

:awesome:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:13 am 

Now for the bad news: Joonas Donskoi gets concussed again at the hands of the Rangers in as many games, and this time it's our old friend's kid, Brendan Lemieux doing the honors. Ugh.

I suppose he'll be out for a while now.

There's no way the Avs can avoid burning the first year of Kaut's ELC at this point.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:31 pm 

Oh dear, I was unaware that former Avs fan-favorite Patrick Bordeleau was in such hot water.

https://www.toutsurlehockey.com/44095/m ... en-prison/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:06 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Oh dear, I was unaware that former Avs fan-favorite Patrick Bordeleau was in such hot water.

https://www.toutsurlehockey.com/44095/m ... en-prison/

Yikes, not good. Gotta think a lifetime of fighting contributed to his current woes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:38 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Yikes, not good. Gotta think a lifetime of fighting contributed to his current woes.

Given the unmistakable pattern we see with players of this type, I don't think that can be refuted. But of course, the NHL will do so.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 4:22 pm 

Apparently Dater is reporting that the Avs will not elect to use Bowen Byram for the upcoming playoff tournament, if indeed it happens, which would burn a year of his ELC. Not surprising news. Avs should have plenty of depth everywhere since they've had more than enough time for their injured players to recover.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:18 pm 

They're now saying Bowen Byram will be on the extended roster for the playoffs, but barring an emergency, won't play.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2020/6/3 ... on-resumes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:25 pm 

https://www.nhl.com/avalanche/news/aval ... -317362712

Phase 3 Roster announced. There was speculation Colin Wilson and his groin would finally be good to go. Nope.

Just...can't get excited about this. This is gonna end up getting someone killed, or possibly suffer from heart/lung/neurological damage that ends their career. Not. Worth. It.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next