OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:26 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Not surprising, Bednar confirms Donskoi is out with a concussion. Nichushkin takes his place on the 2nd line with Burakovsky and Kadri, and Kamenev comes in at 4th line wing.

Top line gets reuinited, which could be a good thing, it just depends on when Rantanen and Landeskog get their legs back, which hasn't happened quite yet. No change in defensive pairs...which is...not good, but I'm not sure what other choice the Avs have at present.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:46 pm 

Yikes, this slump is gonna last a while, isn't it?

Avs drop one in OT against the Pens. In a game where Matt Martin lets a soft dump-in attempt get by him, Pavel Francouz was somehow worse. Lets in four goals total, and only on one of them do I think he had no shot. He was completely square on the other three and let them past anyway. Two years in a row now both Avalanche goalies decide to implode in the middle of the season. I suppose it's better to get it out of your system NOW than in the playoffs, but ya gotta be better. Totally unacceptable efforts from both guys the last two games.

Colorado played a near-perfect first period, and it was downhill after that. It's not helping that the team's two best wingers are still playing like they're not anywhere close to 100%, and the contributions from depth players have all but dried up. Nazem Kadri especially just looks...terrible.

I think the Avs will need to face facts soon and make a trade or two if indeed they're ready to make a run, because this team is good enough to make the playoffs...maybe. Nathan MacKinnon basically being in God-mode has covered up a lot of deficiencies. We'll see if they indeed do it, I can understand why they're hesitant as they don't want to sacrifice any prospects right when a number of them are likely to be in the NHL as early as next season. But something has to be done, otherwise they can stand pat and accept whatever conclusion to this season they get, which could very well be No Playoffs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:36 pm 

Panic starting to set in with the Avs fanbase, which is to be expected. Everything from FIRE BEDNAR to TRADE FOR CAREY PRICE, even though Price has put up far worse numbers than either Avs goalie this year and of course comes with a massive contract.

I do think, if they are for real, they have to make a trade or two. If they stand pat, that's fine, but they'll have to live with the results, which could be quite bad.

I got an invite to be on the "Locked On Avalanche" podcast so that should be fun. The guy who runs it just wants fans to come on there, a different one every week and talk about the Avs and their own memories and what not. Anyway I think we're sitting down to record it sometime next week.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:38 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Panic starting to set in with the Avs fanbase, which is to be expected. Everything from FIRE BEDNAR to TRADE FOR CAREY PRICE, even though Price has put up far worse numbers than either Avs goalie this year and of course comes with a massive contract.

I do think, if they are for real, they have to make a trade or two. If they stand pat, that's fine, but they'll have to live with the results, which could be quite bad.

I got an invite to be on the "Locked On Avalanche" podcast so that should be fun. The guy who runs it just wants fans to come on there, a different one every week and talk about the Avs and their own memories and what not. Anyway I think we're sitting down to record it sometime next week.

Make sure you post a link to this!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:38 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Make sure you post a link to this!

Will do. Hopefully I don't freeze up, but my current job has really improved my communication skills, especially as a public speaker, or in this case, a private 1-on-1 convo that will be public.

One thing I'm gonna have to watch is flying off the handle on a certain subject or player. One of my new year's resolutions is to quit being so intractable when it comes to arguments and debates, and to listen more and talk less.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:12 pm 

Well...the Avs are once again the talk of the NHL, but I don't think it's for good reasons.

https://twitter.com/Avalanche/status/12 ... 8152084481

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:24 pm 

There are some elements I really like.

I like the overall ambitiousness of it all. They really did set out to make something truly unique. But they didn't stick the landing.

I like that they're making it a "pond hockey" type jersey, they're showing Landeskog, Makar, and Rantanen in hoodies for a reason--because the nameplate and number have been lowered to make room for a hoodie, something any kid playing shinny knows is standard-issue equipment. That part of it is awesome.

I like the color scheme.

I like the blue outline on the numbers, it looks ten-times better than the downright alarming prototypes that were conveniently leaked a few months ago.

I wish the horizontal stripe was thicker both on the jersey and arms, but that's not a big deal.

But where this jersey gets is completely and totally wrong..is right at that collar area. The "mountain" shouldn't be running smack into it like that. It just makes the whole thing look terrible. If they had tapered it off right below the NHL crest, these would look soooooo much better. Right now, these three guys look like they're either puttin' the bib for an epic binge at Joe's Crab Shack, or a trio of Colonial-era dandies getting ready for a saucy rendition of "The Room Where it Happens."

Such a disappointment. Could've been absolutely stellar with just a COUPLE tweaks. A fan-made rendition fixes it perfectly, and that jersey would have been amazing.

Anyway...it's still better than the silly garbage rag the Kings came up with, but I'm also glad both teams avoided a military-themed look, which I just don't care for.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:53 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

First impression - hate it. Second impression - not bad. Third impression - it's growing on me.

Should be a top seller. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:01 am 

Nah - they're just bad. Napkin tuck.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:26 pm 

I mean, hey, they're only for one game so may as well go for broke I guess.

Clark wrote a story about how they were created, so I'll have to read that.

Honestly they bother me less and less the more I look at 'em. I'll never, ever buy one but I still think they're better than the awful one L.A. came up with. And frankly they're better than the generic one the Avs came out with the last time they had a Stadium Series game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:30 pm 

Yeah that LA one is absolutely horrid. You're right go for broke. Remember those awful Vancouver Millionaire jerseys from the outdoor game circa 2014 with the gold pants :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:04 pm 

Avs win a big one at home against ye Blues of Saint Louis.

I've maintained I'm just not a big fan of Ryan O'Reilly, despite acknowledging that he's one hell of a player, but it appears that in Valeri Nichushkin they have the one thing not many other teams have: Someone who can neutralize the reigning Selke winner. He led all Avs forwards in ice time, way more than even MacKinnon, and it's pretty clear he's sent out there to keep the league's best checker in check.

Binnington chased in consecutive head-to-head matchups between these two teams. Ya hate to see it.

Anyway, Avs got one more against Detroit and then it's All-Star break time.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:38 pm 

Well, I recorded a podcast with the guy who runs Locked On Avalanche, should be posting on Friday. I imagine I blathered quite a bit but...whatever. It's done.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:52 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
Well, I recorded a podcast with the guy who runs Locked On Avalanche, should be posting on Friday.

Link or it didn't happen.

Pokecheque wrote:
I imagine I blathered quite a bit but...whatever. It's done.

What? You don't say...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:05 pm 

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
I imagine I blathered quite a bit but...whatever. It's done.

What? You don't say...[/quote]

Yes, I know...shocking. :hurr:

Will post when it's up old man.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:35 am 
King of Men

are you attending the outdoor game down in the Springs? Ironically I will be down there day of and may try to Stubhub it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:08 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
are you attending the outdoor game down in the Springs? Ironically I will be down there day of and may try to Stubhub it.

Naw, I won't be. I might be tempted to go to a Winter Classic if the Avs ever get one (and they damned well should and it should be at Coors Field) but I just doubt the actual experience of braving freezing-ass cold temperatures to watch a hockey game with absolutely HORRID sightlines is worth it. If you go, please tell me if I'm wrong.

But as far as I'm concerned, if I'm gonna see the Avs in below-zero wind chill temps where I can barely see them, I want a damned party deck for my trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:09 pm 

Oh...and it's up. I haven't heard it yet.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/locked ... -avalanche

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:32 pm 

Good Lord...All-Star break AND a bye week. Avs don't effin' play until 2/1 against the Philly Flyboys. But I suppose the team could use the added rest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:22 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Oh...and it's up. I haven't heard it yet.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/locked ... -avalanche

I would listen to this but it won't let me without registering.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next