OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:07 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'll add this--I think the specter of Pierre Lacroix still looms large in this organization. Sakic wants to pull a Lacroix-style trade just like Pierre used to do when things got rough. Doesn't work that way anymore, and Lacroix himself was less than exemplary in the salary cap era. I wish this organization would do more to turn the page on the glory days that are two decades in the past now. To their credit, Roy and Sakic fired Lacroix crony Rick Pracey not long after they took over, and the Avs' drafting seems to have benefited from the move. But IMO there are still too many people from his regime still around, and I'm not sure why. I think there still needs to be a completed upending in the Pepsi Center before they really start to make strides toward being a contender again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:49 am 

Some very honest quotes from Matt Duchene, who, like the rest of us, is ready for this fucking shitshow to end.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2017/8/2 ... es-rumours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:42 pm 
Tattoo of the Post

Pokecheque wrote:
Some very honest quotes from Matt Duchene, who, like the rest of us, is ready for this fucking shitshow to end.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2017/8/2 ... es-rumours

I think the only person on the planet who doesn't want this to end is Sakic. I keep checking sites just to see if he's been moved yet. I guess it's great for hockey news sites for that reason, if they realize that's why people like me are hitting their sites.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:27 pm 

Not sure where else to put this, but Lambert dedicates a big chunk of his "What We Learned" column to the Will Butcher situation.

https://sports.yahoo.com/learned-will-b ... soc_trk=tw

My take: Yes, the Avs mishandled this situation like they have so many others, but I'm still not convinced Butcher will be an NHLer, let alone a great NHLer. I hope he proves me and the rest of the doubters wrong, but I'm still a doubter nonetheless. Lambert fails to mention that Butcher is not only not big, but also not fast. I don't recall the last blueliner who had a successful career despite both those limitations. Ian White, perhaps?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:24 pm 

Whaddaya know, the Avs announce a contract signing, but not at all the one fans were expecting.

Dominic Toninato, LW and formerly a UMD property and 5th round draft pick by the Leafs back in 2012, signs in Colorado.

https://theleafsnation.com/2017/07/04/m ... part-ways/

Interesting, the same day Will Butcher, also a 5th round pick, spurns the Avs to pursue free agency, the Avs sign a different NCAA free agent.

Seems like an interesting player, not a huge producer of offense but reportedly a solid two-way guy. Avs need more of those so I like the signing.