(Generation III)
It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 3:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brad Aldrich
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:25 pm 
OTPoliceman

From SI Hockey News:

https://www.si.com/hockey/news/the-nhls ... appointing

Can't remember the name of the Columnist in USA Today but she noted that Bettman is acting more like a defence lawyer than a league commissioner.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:41 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

I don't understand how the hell the league thinks things like trying to ignore Westhead during the press conference and keeping the names off the Zoom list will help. Unless Bettman is committed to being the lightning rod who will now take the brunt of the "fire _____" so that the Blackhawks can try to fade back into "Kaner had a hatty last night!" and just play hockey. The NHL highlighted Kane's hat trick on their site and social media pages and commenters were pissed that he'd be praised now, of all times. I get that the league is here to promote hockey and its stars, but it seemed like a good time to just let that one lie unpromoted. At least to me. Bettman has taken the written bullets for the owners before, which is one of the reasons they love him. I don't expect the owners to fire him, even if he winds up being caught on video being told about this back in 2010/11. He stands there taking it all, or deftly dodges the questions, which reporters only seem to notice a few hours later when their story is due and they see there's nothing of real interest to quote. No real answers, despite 100 questions being asked of him. So expect him to stay until he feels he has to retire for personal reasons. And at $8 million/year, I don't see him doing that any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:38 am 

and of course there is more.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/lawsui ... 18035.html

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:44 am 
OTP Clown

Hockey culture is fucked.

My wife told stories from a guy who went on to the NHL about the shit that went on in Jr Hockey - regular circle jerks, sometimes with the rookie taking the load on his face.

At my high school rookies from the hockey team had to participate in cracker races.

Crackers in butt cracks.

If you drop yours? You ate it.

The loser ate them all.

It was then that I signed up for drama.

As a straight and handsome dude there (a member of the minority), there was no imposing myself on women.

Instead?

The perverse reverse was true.

I wonder how many of the coaches and teachers were aware of the garbage behaviour back then.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:21 am 
OTP Historian

Chris18 wrote:
I don't understand how the hell the league thinks things like trying to ignore Westhead during the press conference and keeping the names off the Zoom list will help. Unless Bettman is committed to being the lightning rod who will now take the brunt of the "fire _____" so that the Blackhawks can try to fade back into "Kaner had a hatty last night!" and just play hockey. The NHL highlighted Kane's hat trick on their site and social media pages and commenters were pissed that he'd be praised now, of all times. I get that the league is here to promote hockey and its stars, but it seemed like a good time to just let that one lie unpromoted. At least to me. Bettman has taken the written bullets for the owners before, which is one of the reasons they love him. I don't expect the owners to fire him, even if he winds up being caught on video being told about this back in 2010/11. He stands there taking it all, or deftly dodges the questions, which reporters only seem to notice a few hours later when their story is due and they see there's nothing of real interest to quote. No real answers, despite 100 questions being asked of him. So expect him to stay until he feels he has to retire for personal reasons. And at $8 million/year, I don't see him doing that any time soon.

Ignore ignore deny lie ignore ignore deny lie...

It's how its always been in the NHL.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:18 pm 

Bosc wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Ignore ignore deny lie ignore ignore deny lie...

It's how its always been in the NHL.

Of course I don't know, but I find it difficult to imagine Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, and Jean Beliveau participating in a circle jerk. My gut says that this kind of behaviour becomes acceptable when there is a lot of money at stake and a lack of desire for change from the public at large. I think most people, present company excepted, just look out for themselves nowadays and if the choice is between being entertained or stop watching, I think people will just put aside their cognitive dissonance and enjoy the game. In other words, the NHL can do what it does because there's no punishment for it and billions of rewards. Love hockey, but fuck the NHL, CHL, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:34 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:

Bettman is pure white hubris poured into a suit. He's not dumb, but he's such a megalomaniac that he doesn't care how bad avoiding questions from the lead investigative reporter will make him look. He's going to go out of his way to spite anyone he feels has made the league (but really, it's more about him personally) look bad.

And really, why should he? He's taken hockey away from the fans in parts of what, five, six seasons? And in 2005 he took it ALL away. He's suffered zero repercussions from this. He's in the goddamned fucking Hall of Fame for fuck's sake. And he went in THE SAME YEAR AS WILLIE O'REE to boot.

I will say that given his clumsy and tone-deaf presser that he is very likely an utterly incompetent lawyer though. He should count his blessings that he is in a job where actually being good at your job doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:35 pm 

BCG wrote:
Of course I don't know, but I find it difficult to imagine Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, and Jean Beliveau participating in a circle jerk. My gut says that this kind of behaviour becomes acceptable when there is a lot of money at stake and a lack of desire for change from the public at large. I think most people, present company excepted, just look out for themselves nowadays and if the choice is between being entertained or stop watching, I think people will just put aside their cognitive dissonance and enjoy the game. In other words, the NHL can do what it does because there's no punishment for it and billions of rewards. Love hockey, but fuck the NHL, CHL, etc.

Don't be so sure about that. Don't forget that when Ted Lindsay was leading the charge for the players, a young Gordie Howe ducked his head.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:37 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Bettman is pure white hubris poured into a suit. He's not dumb, but he's such a megalomaniac that he doesn't care how bad avoiding questions from the lead investigative reporter will make him look. He's going to go out of his way to spite anyone he feels has made the league (but really, it's more about him personally) look bad.

And really, why should he? He's taken hockey away from the fans in parts of what, five, six seasons? And in 2005 he took it ALL away. He's suffered zero repercussions from this. He's in the goddamned fucking Hall of Fame for fuck's sake. And he went in THE SAME YEAR AS WILLIE O'REE to boot.

I will say that given his clumsy and tone-deaf presser that he is very likely an utterly incompetent lawyer though. He should count his blessings that he is in a job where actually being good at your job doesn't matter.

Just remember who he works for. Everything you're saying that he does and has done has to have that aspect considered as well. He's not doing anything without the blessing or instructions from a certain number of owners.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:05 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
BCG wrote:

Don't be so sure about that. Don't forget that when Ted Lindsay was leading the charge for the players, a young Gordie Howe ducked his head.

I'm just talking about moral issues, not union/business issues around sharing power/wealth. No one in the NHL is going to risk their wealth and power just because someone is getting hurt. Similarly, most fans won't risk their entertainment just because someone is getting hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:19 pm 
King of Men

Bosc wrote:
Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Just remember who he works for. Everything you're saying that he does and has done has to have that aspect considered as well. He's not doing anything without the blessing or instructions from a certain number of owners.

Exactly, he's a very wealthy lawyer who works for the owners.....his first and only priority in this case is damage control and liability mitigation...period. Hell, he walks out to Boos everywhere he goes...even in Seattle! He doesn't give 2 shits about the little people or you and I at home trying to watch the AVs!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:30 pm 

Bosc wrote:

Yep, someone else put it best--so long as he remains an effective attack dog against any perceived threats to their bottom line, and a steady shield against bad PR, they don't give a fuck about anything else he does.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:20 pm 

They've stamped Xs over Aldrich's name on the Cup. The people who covered up his actions and harassed Beach still have theirs on it. Is it "a start"? Finally a right thing done in this situation? Too little, too late? I don't know. But I am glad this shit ball's name is Xed out.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:45 pm 

The NHLPA has voted to have an independent investigation into the handling of the situation. We may be seeing the last of Fehr.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:00 pm 
Big in Japan

Chris18 wrote:
The NHLPA has voted to have an independent investigation into the handling of the situation. We may be seeing the last of Fehr.

I have no doubt Bettman used this as an opportunity to plant the seeds to get Fehr removed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:37 pm 

I think Fehr was the one who called for it. I wonder what an "investigation" will even uncover since we already know damned well that he and this Dr. Shaw dipshit were informed of the situation and did nothing. But whatever, lawyers gonna lawyer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:18 am 

In the last few days the boyscouts have agreed to pay $800 million to child abuse victims and USA Gymnastics/the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee agreed to pay $380 million to the victims of Larry Nasser.

And the Blackhawks are still trying to stall the case Beach has against them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:36 am 

Chris18 wrote:
In the last few days the boyscouts have agreed to pay $800 million to child abuse victims and USA Gymnastics/the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee agreed to pay $380 million to the victims of Larry Nasser.

And the Blackhawks are still trying to stall the case Beach has against them.

The Blackhawks' lawyers must check this site, and just to make me look like a dick reached a settlement about an hour after I posted that. Terms will not be disclosed, per the agreement.

No money will make up for what happened and the way he was treated afterwards, but I hope Beach gets some kind of closure out of this. And enough cash for at least a few generations of family.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2023 10:31 am 

And another player sues. https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/report-second-member-of-2010-blackhawks-sues-team-1.2031584

Have to wonder how many more are out there, afraid to come forward.