OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:59 pm 
OTP Historian

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ho ... tml#page=1

Quote:
Stan Mikita has been diagnosed with suspected dementia with Lewy body, a brain disorder that can strip those with it of memory, cause hallucinations, sleep disorders and often, though not in Mikita's case, Parkinson's disease. His decline has been steep and sudden.

While the Hawks battle the Lightning in the Stanley Cup Final, a man who has been associated with the team for 59 years, and still is employed as an ambassador, is unaware it is happening. Since January, Mikita has spent his days and nights in a Chicago-area facility, walking up to five miles a day and eating up a storm. At 75, his body is sound. His brain is not.

"His mind is completely gone," Jill, Stan's wife of 52 years, says while sitting on the sun porch as one of her grandsons fishes in the pond out back. "I don't like to use that term, but there's no other way to describe it."

So while other legendary Hawks players and ambassadors, including Denis Savard, Bobby Hull and Tony Esposito, have been on hand to witness the Hawks' third Stanley Cup Final series in six seasons, Mikita has not experienced the same joy.

"You know what? He doesn't know he's missing out, he has no idea," Jill Mikita says. "If he was terminally ill and his mind was intact then I think I would be heartbroken. But right now, he has no idea."

:(