OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:31 am 
Old Man of the Post

The Canucks will win if:

• They continue to forecheck effectively, don’t allow those long stretch passes, and frustrate Chicago’s d.
  • They continue to get the first two or three goals of the game.
  • They continue to be successful on the PP; that should back off Chicago’s aggressive forecheck. Conversely, if Vancouver’s PK continues its strong play, that should allow their forecheck to be aggressive. Still, no more 5-on-3s against, not with Chicago’s d.
The Blackhawks will win if:

• Khabibulin doesn’t allow any soft goals.
  • Their d can match Vancouver’s toughness on d – so far, they’ve been exposed as a little soft (see Campbell, Brian) and irresponsible. If they can learn to take a hit to make a play, I think that would even things up.
  • They score early and often. Chicago has spotted Vancouver the first two or three goals in every game – and for all their comeback heroics, they are down 2 games to 1. That can’t possibly be a winning strategy.

I can see tonight’s game being a much tighter affair than the first three. Chicago will not want to give up the first goal, so that should back off their attack somewhat – the forwards need to not be looking for that long stretch pass and give their d some better percentage plays and make sure they come back on the back check – there have been far too many outnumbered attacks that Chicago has given up in this series.

But that kind of game favors Vancouver more than it does Chicago. 2-0 Vancouver.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:19 pm 
More Mysterious than Outright Freaky

I sure hope they play well defencively & with Salo playing tonight the PP will be as good as it was in the first 2 games.I hope Pyatt is still in the lineup.

GO CANUCKS GO

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:22 pm 
Rebel Sell + Moneyball = Life

freakydave wrote:
with Salo playing tonight

Do you have confirmation on this? The last Sun article I saw said he wasn't practising with the team.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:23 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Yeah, I'd rather he sit out if he's even a little dinged... Vancouver needs him for the long-term, rushing Salo back is only inviting trouble.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:55 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

The Hawks need another quick lesson in growing up. I thought they did well in this playoffs in that regard... they were playing well above their experience level. But Game 3 was absolutely terrible, maybe the worst game they've played all year (admittedly I haven't seen a ton of Hawks games, but mentally it was by far the toughest I can recall). Panic was in their every move. They didn't expect the Canucks to be agressive on the forecheck for some reason.

It's not that they are soft... it's just that they couldn't execute a basic, fundamental hockey play. That first goal said everything... no one was close to receive the puck from Khabibulin, they were late on the backcheck for Kesler, and no one picked up Raymond at all. Where were all the guys on that Canucks dump in? I still haven't figured that one out. That's a basic, fundamental hockey play, and there was nothing that was positive on it at all.

Yeah, this team can come back in games, but as you have said, that's not a sound strategy and it's not actually the Hawks' strategy, either. But somewhere on the way back home, they got cocky and thought they could beat them no matter what.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:08 pm 
Old Man of the Post

saskhab wrote:
it's just that they couldn't execute a basic, fundamental hockey play. That first goal said everything... no one was close to receive the puck from Khabibulin, they were late on the backcheck for Kesler, and no one picked up Raymond at all. Where were all the guys on that Canucks dump in? I still haven't figured that one out. That's a basic, fundamental hockey play, and there was nothing that was positive on it at all.

The 'Hawks forwards haven't been helping out their d enough - if I had to guess, I'd say their forwards were cheating up ice, expecting more long bombs. Late in Game 1 when the score was still tied, they got caught with four of five skaters deep in Vancouver's end; 4-on-1 the other way and the winning goal by Salo. How do you give up a 4-on-1 late in a tied game? They've been living off of the long stretch pass and now are a victim of their own success... They were more successful with that plan in Game 2 so they tried to look for that in Game 3. The forwards need to get back and support their defencemen on the backcheck, especially since Vancouver has figured out that an aggressive forecheck in Chicago's end can bottle them up and slow them down.

I don't know if Q is the guy to get them to see that. His comments after the game seemed to be focused on how his offence played; I think Vancouver beat them by playing their style of game (deep forecheck and limit shots to the perimeter) and not allowing Chicago an easy out.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:27 pm 

That's fine and dandy to say the forwards were up ice, expecting a stretch pass, but there was only one defenseman back on that play (behind Kesler who was forechecking and forced Bulin to make that pass up the boards). I still can't figure out the plan on that one. It was a breakdown in every level.

I don't read too much into a coach's comments after the game, unless he calls out certain players or something, or bitching about calls. A coach doesn't have to discuss his strategy with the media, and it's counter-producitve to do so. Quennville is too highly regarded throughout the league (and came at Bowman's recommendation) to think that he's incapable of noticing something that a geriatric Canucks fan in Dog's Crack, Illinois is seeing. :laugh:

This falls on the players. And I don't know if they have the experience to face this adversity. Let's face it... no one has ever won the Cup after not making the playoffs for 6 straight seasons, and not winning a round in 13 years. Even the mighty Bruins are having playoff inexperience issues.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:31 pm 

Per TSN's ice chips:

Quote:
Defenceman Sami Salo skated after practice yesterday and played some 3-on-3 with the other healthy scratches but will not play tonight. - TSN

There was some speculation that Pavol Demitra had a concussion, but he was riding a bike yesterday which would not follow the seven-day protocol if he was concussed. - TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=11009

No lineup changes listed yet for Chicago.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 7:46 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

This should be a good one!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 9:47 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

This is a good one. 1-0 after 2 for the Nucks on a goal by yes, Horti !!!

Luongo is lights out.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:37 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

1-1 and OT

Hawks have new life - lets see if they come out charging in the 4th.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:48 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Canucks almost did it...after keeping the Hawks on the perimeter all night Havlat finally sneaks by and rifles it past Luongo. It's funny right as he did that I was yelling at him to show up and do something in this game. :rock:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:56 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

A heartbreaking goal - not sure what to say.....

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:57 pm 
OTP Clown

Heartbreaking goal?

They were the most boring team I've ever seen tonight.

I for one am so glad that the tedious hockey played by the nucks tonight after getting a lead wasn't rewarded.

They made Jersey in the late 90's look dynamic.

14 shots? No fore checker? Clutch and grab all night?

If that's how they want to play, they can't be eliminated fast enough.

What a fucking bore.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:59 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Stinky wrote:
Heartbreaking goal?

I for one am so glad that the tedious hockey played by the nucks tonight after getting a lead wasn't rewarded.

What a fucking bore.

Don't you have a Habs charity golf tourney to watch or something?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:59 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Lesson learned: It's pretty damned hard to win a game when Darcy Hordichuk is accounting for all your offensive output. Not sure why the Nucks decided not to put pressure on when they succeeded in doing so last game.

Great game, even better ending. The Hawks cardiac ways continue!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:01 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Nucks should have won. However, they got the split and the series is re-invigorated for a pivotal game Saturday in the Garage.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:03 pm 
OTP Clown

Captain Chaos wrote:
Stinky wrote:
Heartbreaking goal?

What a fucking bore.

Don't you have a Habs charity golf tourney to watch or something?

I'm done with the Habs till draft day...

I'm watching everything now.

There have been times this year I've liked the nucks.

Tonight was not one of them.

A.V. needs a solid kick in the nuts for having the team play such a crap style of hockey.

With a goalie like Bobby Lou in nets, you offense needs to take a bunch of chances and have him bail you out.

That's what having a stud goalie should mean.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:03 pm 
OTP Clown

Captain Chaos wrote:
Nucks should have won.

?

Really?

You really think that?

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:05 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Of course