It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hurricanes sold
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:27 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
Nick Kypreos‏
@RealKyper
Told that @NHLCanes majority interest sale to billionaire Tom Dundon had a team value just shy of 500m. Pete Karmanos will retain just under 50% ownership to protect future growth in franchise values. @NHL @Sportsnet

Post subject: Re: Hurricanes sold
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I can't believe the Hurricanes are worth that much. And it's not even for full control.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:28 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Pokecheque wrote:
I can't believe the Hurricanes are worth that much. And it's not even for full control.

Seriously.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:45 pm 
Big in Japan

I could see it: only pro game in town in a market of 2.7M, sold well when they were good, sweet barn deal with free renos.

This guy and Chuck Greenberg wanted the team, so it's not like there was no interest, either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:51 pm 
Big in Japan

Quote:
Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon, who has set a priority on filling the lower bowl at PNC Arena for all home games, will implement a plan for tonight's Ottawa game allowing everyone to sit in the lower level. Or the suites, if need be. Even the owner's suite. Story coming.

This historically has been a bad idea, like ticket giveaways. Rots away the value of tickets. It's fine to do it for a bit to generate headlines, but when it's time for season ticket renewals they better change back.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:24 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Quote:
Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon, who has set a priority on filling the lower bowl at PNC Arena for all home games, will implement a plan for tonight's Ottawa game allowing everyone to sit in the lower level. Or the suites, if need be. Even the owner's suite. Story coming.

This historically has been a bad idea, like ticket giveaways. Rots away the value of tickets. It's fine to do it for a bit to generate headlines, but when it's time for season ticket renewals they better change back.

Yeah, was it Florida or Tampa who used to do that and stopped it under new ownership? Think it was the Panthros.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:44 pm 

When I went to an Avs/Ducks game at Pepsi Center some nine years ago (I know because we ended up with a puppy that night and she's nine now) someone working for the Avs spotted me dressed in my Colorado Rockies jersey and asked if I'd like a free upgrade, so we got seats near the glass. Unfortunately the game was not great but we had a good time anyway. I've never seen them do stuff like that since.

The puppy was not part of the package.

Anyhow, this Dundon guy apparently made hundreds of millions after cuttin'-n-runnin' from a subprime loan outfit that ruined a whole bunch of regular folks. Yay capitalism!

https://deadspin.com/the-hurricanes-new ... 1822129399

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Heard he's looking to bring back the Whalers uniforms for a few games/year. Maybe as their third jerseys when those are reinstated. Pretty cool idea, and will help generate a shitload of merchandise revenue, if he's entitled to it. If it goes to the old owners, well, then he won't do it. Maybe he could swing a partial deal with the owners of the Whalers logo to make it worth it for them both.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:00 pm 
Big in Japan

I just hope the team stays the course with their young players, get a real goalie and don't think selling tickets is tied to some gimmicks.

They can win with a Teuvo-Skinner-Lindholm-Aho-Rask-Hanifin-Slavin-Pesce-Faulk nucleus. Heck, Staal seems ancient but he's only 28.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:31 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I just hope the team stays the course with their young players, get a real goalie and don't think selling tickets is tied to some gimmicks.

They can win with a Teuvo-Skinner-Lindholm-Aho-Rask-Hanifin-Slavin-Pesce-Faulk nucleus. Heck, Staal seems ancient but he's only 28.

I don't think they can. In this league you need game-breakers, elite talents who can take over games. None of those guys are on that level. Whether Necas is I don't know, but good as they are, they're still not quite good enough. It's not just goaltending, though that's obviously their biggest weakness right now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:16 pm 

This Dundon guy is something else. If nothing else, the Canes will no longer be boring.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:22 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
This Dundon guy is something else. If nothing else, the Canes will no longer be boring.

Vegas proved something. I don't know exactly what, but something is up.

Carolina has been building enough. It's go time or lottery time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:52 pm 

He said in a recent presser the only guy who's safe is Sebastian Aho.

Frankly I think they just need to move on from J-Staal and Skinner. Both have entered whatever morass that nearly claimed E-Staal. Just dump them and move on already. Probably do the same with Faulk.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:56 am 

Oh boy, this is getting fun!!!!

https://www.tsn.ca/hurricanes-peters-du ... -1.1061736

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:08 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Indeed. It sort of depends on how bottom line focused Dundon is. If they want to move forward in a positive direction and don't want him back, they need to cut him loose and eat the salary. Would be a pretty and cheap and slimy move for Dundon to wait it out just to save a little dough on a portion of the coaches salary, if indeed there is interest in Peters elsewhere. Certainly not the typical way this industry handles situations like this. What a cheap dude.