OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:16 pm 
Big in Japan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGCqaV04-ss

Ouch. Dude's brains got scrambled by that Douggie Weight hit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:17 pm 
Curator of the Dog Park

Of course nobody from the pussy canes jumped Weight either like should have been done!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:33 pm 
No Longer Croozin'

Ooooh!!! :shock: ouch

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:44 pm 
Old Man of the Post

You forgot to use this: :owned:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:38 am 
OTP Clown

Crazy hit. Puck got away on sutter and he was reaching low. He should have let it go. Either Wight hits him, or he gets a clean break to the goal.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:42 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

I think we've all seen this hit before. Based on the end result of that sequence of events, Tuomo Ruutu will probably break Doug Weight's neck later this year for retribution or something.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:54 am 
OTP Clown

saskhab wrote:
I think we've all seen this hit before. Based on the end result of that sequence of events, Tuomo Ruutu will probably break Doug Weight's neck later this year for retribution or something.

Before they make a 'no hits to the head' rule, they'll have to make a 2 minutes for skating with your head down rule.
Naslund and Lindros would have had tonnes of penalties

As for this being steve moore 2.0, I agree. Clean hit. Sutter (Naslund) should keep his fucking head up.

And someone should sue Bertuzzi again just to piss off more nucks fans...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:03 am 
Drunken Lout

(an oldie but a goodie! :lol: )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:57 am 
No Longer Croozin'

GrGecko wrote:

(an oldie but a goodie! :lol: )
Now that's just fucking nasty :x

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:13 pm 
King of Men

Here's Rutherford bitching about this.

http://www.tsn.ca/columnists/bob_mckenzie/?id=253894

I get what he is saying....There's a double standard and its NHL politics. You have to appear to condemn hits to the head. I still think there's a big difference between boarding and a clean ice open hit.

In a perfect game I dream of hits like that. Yeah its not nice to see someone get seriously injured but that hit was a thing of f'n beauty.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:35 pm 
King of Men

Quote:
Carbonneau suggests players need to make choices before hitting somebody in a vulnerable position. For the French press he drew a metaphor saying, "I've held a gun in my hand, but I've never wanted to shoot somebody."

Oh here we go....leave it up to a nancy ass Hab to stir the pot even further. A league of bitches on skates!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:45 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I remember Don Cherry bringing this issue up a few years ago when Dan Cleary, least I think it was him, was involved in a beheading behind the net during a preseason game. He didn't take issue with the hit, but rather the equipment--shoulder pads to be specific. I gotta admit I agree when he says those gigantic football-style Jofa pads the players wear now are a far cry from the barely-there Coopers I used to wear. Hell, even the Bauer Flaks I wore when I was a teenager are nothing compared to shoulder pads worn today.

Would taking down the size of the shoulder pads have made a difference? Maybe not. But hey, there was an outcry about seamless glass after a few heads ricocheted off them and the league as a whole did something about it. If they're going to legislate the hell out of goalie pads, I don't see the problem with taking a good long look at the pads forwards and defensemen wear as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:55 pm 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
I remember Don Cherry bringing this issue up a few years ago when Dan Cleary, least I think it was him, was involved in a beheading behind the net during a preseason game. He didn't take issue with the hit, but rather the equipment--shoulder pads to be specific. I gotta admit I agree when he says those gigantic football-style Jofa pads the players wear now are a far cry from the barely-there Coopers I used to wear. Hell, even the Bauer Flaks I wore when I was a teenager are nothing compared to shoulder pads worn today.

Would taking down the size of the shoulder pads have made a difference? Maybe not. But hey, there was an outcry about seamless glass after a few heads ricocheted off them and the league as a whole did something about it. If they're going to legislate the hell out of goalie pads, I don't see the problem with taking a good long look at the pads forwards and defensemen wear as well.

Soft-cap shoulder pads. I think the soft-cap elbows are already legislated.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:09 pm 

Definitely the pads have contributed to a rise in concussions from these hits. The increase in players weight and speed also contributes greatly (it's basic physics, force = mass x acceleration). So does the fact that players aim for other players heads when they don't have to.

That Tyler Sloan hit on Daymond Langkow? No contact with the head. It was a brilliant hit, better than this one for sure. Those hits Dion makes? Freaking awesome. You don't have to hit the guys head to make an impact open ice hit.

This one is a bit grey... it's tough for him to make this hit without contact to the head.

But the fact is.... hits from behind are banned because of the dangerous nature of the hit. Logically, isn't hits to the head the same thing?

Not that they're very vigilant on hits from behind, but at least the mechanism is there to deter doing that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:30 pm 
King of Men

I'd have to agree complete grey area....what happens when he gets hit and then smacks his head off the ice? That's not a hit to the head but that's severe head damage....while we are at it we can't allow them to punch in the head anymore either.....

Anytime large men collide its dangerous.

Of course I woudn't dare say skating with his head down would be the cause of it...that's like saying she asked for it.

F'n a man its a nanny state all around......I am telling you...one day hitting is going to be taken right out of this game.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:04 pm 

I don't know... I love the good open ice hit as much as every other red blooded man, but I do think that sometimes these hits could be avoided if more people knew how to hipcheck. Seriously, only about a dozen or maybe two players in the whole NHL throw hipchecks. Not everything needs to involve the shoulder/arm/elbow... you hit the guy hard, you eliminate him from the play, you pump up the crowd... it's great. Shoulder to shoulder hits... fantastic. No need to hit the guy higher than that. There are plenty of great hits out there, it just seems like everyone is trying to be Scott Stevens now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:07 am 
Old Man of the Post

Yeah, I love to see a good open ice hit, but I think it's a very difficult thing to police on the ice. And yes, even that pansy-ass Bobby Orr thinks that there's no room in the game for head shots:
Quote:
Bobby Orr, the greatest defenceman of all time, a tough, rugged player in a time when the game was supposedly nastier, has repeatedly spoken out against head shots. They weren't part of the game, Orr said a couple of years ago in a long diatribe against head hits.

"I was hit a lot when I played and I didn't get hit in the head with checks," Orr said. "Players didn't always hit like that. That's not part of bodychecking.

"If you hit a guy in the face with your stick by accident, you're going to get a penalty. Two minutes, four minutes, five minutes, something.

"If you go to bodycheck a guy and you hit him in the face or head, and injure him, that's legal? That's fair? That's not a penalty? I'm sorry, I don't think that is right. It should be a penalty."

Wait - did he just bring up the McSorely - Brashear incident? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:25 am 
OTP Clown

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
Yeah, I love to see a good open ice hit, but I think it's a very difficult thing to police on the ice. And yes, even that pansy-ass Bobby Orr thinks that there's no room in the game for head shots:
Quote:
Bobby Orr, the greatest defenceman of all time, a tough, rugged player in a time when the game was supposedly nastier, has repeatedly spoken out against head shots. They weren't part of the game, Orr said a couple of years ago in a long diatribe against head hits.

"I was hit a lot when I played and I didn't get hit in the head with checks," Orr said. "Players didn't always hit like that. That's not part of bodychecking.

"If you hit a guy in the face with your stick by accident, you're going to get a penalty. Two minutes, four minutes, five minutes, something.

"If you go to bodycheck a guy and you hit him in the face or head, and injure him, that's legal? That's fair? That's not a penalty? I'm sorry, I don't think that is right. It should be a penalty."

Wait - did he just bring up the McSorely - Brashear incident? :mrgreen:

I think he called McSorely a candy assed coward faggot.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:50 am 
Old Man of the Post

How much of this would no longer be an issue if they simply eliminated the Instigator penalty?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:58 am 
OTP Clown

the Cunning Linguist wrote:
How much of this would no longer be an issue if they simply eliminated the Instigator penalty?

That should be the tagline for off the post.org...

either that or:

When you run out of love for big greasy pussy, there's all ways time for hockey!