OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:07 am 
Big in Japan

To VGK: Noah Hanifin (75% retained)
To Flames: Cond. 2025 1st Rd Pick, Daniil Miromanov, Cond. 3rd Rd Pick
To Flyers: 2024 5th Rd Pick

Condition: 2025 1st unless VGK trades it this deadline, then 2026.
Condition: 3rd upgrades to 2nd if VGK win one round in ‘24

OK haul. Conditions are pretty funny.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:43 am 
King of Men

I am actually surprised at the return....I expected less. At this point they need to send Markstrom packing as well. Let's go Craig!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:48 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Flames had two of the most highly sought-after blueliners in the league this year and traded both for underwhelming returns. I can understand with Hanifin, I believe he had control over where he could go, but the Tanev trade should've netted something better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:00 pm 
King of Men

The Russian bonanza continues in Calgary with some dude (Okhotiuk) from the Sharks. Rooney gets signed and apparently the pick from Vegas goes to a 1st round unprotected in 2026.

Markstrom stays and the Flames will try to move into a position to be destroyed in the 1st round.

Nothing more for Craig to do now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:40 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Markstrom stays and the Flames will try to move into a position to be destroyed in the 1st round.

Flames needed to move a goalie, and NJ desperately needed a goalie. I really wonder what caused this deal to fail?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:54 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Flames needed to move a goalie, and NJ desperately needed a goalie. I really wonder what caused this deal to fail?

Initial reports said that NJ asked Calgary to retain salary and talks broke down over the cost of that. Apparently NJ came back around and said they'd take Jacob with no salary retention but too little, too late.

But that said, I thought I read/heard later that ownership saw the team hit a hot streak and wanted to keep Markstrom for that sweet, sweet playoff revenue.

Whatever the case, feels like both sides lost here.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:33 am 
King of Men

Reports are that Colorado offered a 1st and Ryan Johansen for Tanev...but they wanted Calgary to take that salary.

Craig passed for some reason. Can't have 2 players like Huberdeau on the same team.

Flames get blown out twice over the weekend after the trade deadline.

Barely mustered 2 shots in the first period yesterday against Carolina.

Playoffs were a long shot anyway...hope keeping Markstrom was worth it!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:31 am 
Big in Japan

Refusing the pay the freight on RyJo to get a 1st is exactly why Calgary is going to stay spinning its wheels. Terrible asset management (unless they really love Grushnikov, which in that case go for it).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:39 am 
King of Men

Things don't get any better for this team......with a rested and full powered Avalanche team coming into town on Tuesday and the Knights on Thursday.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:18 am 

E.L. wrote:
Refusing the pay the freight on RyJo to get a 1st is exactly why Calgary is going to stay spinning its wheels. Terrible asset management (unless they really love Grushnikov, which in that case go for it).

I'm not sure about that. Walker is not as good as Tanev imo, so Phili paid less for the same deal. Calgary can use that cap space to now make some future deal, I think this will work out for them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:58 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I'm not sure about that. Walker is not as good as Tanev imo, so Phili paid less for the same deal. Calgary can use that cap space to now make some future deal, I think this will work out for them.

Arguably Walker IS better at this point in their respective careers but I agree that's not really a huge upgrade.

What worries me if I'm a Flames fan is the indecision. Conroy sure looked like he had a direction they wanted to go, and then they hit that hot streak and everything changed. That to me screams "Ownership swooped in and tied the GM's hands." And obviously that really pissed off Markstrom, and now you got a very disgruntled goalie in the locker room.

This whole "sending the right message" thing was an absolute blunder by the Flames that's now blown up in their faces. Gonna be an interesting offseason because there are going to be a lot of players who might ask out. You KNOW Markstrom is done.

For them to have held onto both Markstrom AND Vladar when goalies were being thrown around like panties at Tom Jones concert is just inexcusable IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:09 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
For them to have held onto both Markstrom AND Vladar when goalies were being thrown around like panties at Tom Jones concert is just inexcusable IMO.

This right here.......and then to have Markstrom say no thanks to the Avs....Vladar come in and get shelled and then end up with Wolf anyway!

Mind boggling....but you have to be right about ownership meddling here.....there is no other reason.

This team is done......its written all over them.

Kelly Hrudey and his uber positivity is f'n irritating.....NOW he wants to advocate for Wolf getting starts.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:07 pm 

I can't believe at one point I said I liked the "Blasty" jerseys. They're fucking horrible. And yet the team keeps insisting on wearing them. Never introduce a black sweater option to hockey players--they always end up wearing it all the damned time. And no, sorry, I will not stop whining about bad uniforms anytime soon.

Flames got out to an early lead last night but it was only a matter of time before the Avs took over. Even in the third when Colorado clearly took a down a few notches to get ready for Vancouver the very next night, it was all but decided.

Miromanov seems like a decent get, scored a somewhat crazy bounce goal but hey a goal is a goal. Sharangovich seemed to have a good game, Huberdeau had some flashes but also just couldn't seem to hit the net. Pospisil had a couple huge hits, including one late (but legal) in the game on Val Nichushkin...unfortunately for the Flames he also took a really dumb slashing penalty on Justus Annunen in the first which led to the first goal of the game.

Here's the crazy thing...Avs have two of the worst faceoff centers in the league now in MacKinnon and Mittelstadt, and somehow both were absolutely dominant in the dot. Meanwhile, Kadri, who's usually quite good at draws, was something like 30%.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:42 pm 

In other wonderful news, Flames 2022 second-rounder Topi Ronni was convicted in a Finnish court of rape when he was 17, he received a suspended sentence, and the Flames announced they have renounced his draft rights. His current Finnish club also announced that they terminated his contract.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:41 pm 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
Flames got out to an early lead last night but it was only a matter of time before the Avs took over. Even in the third when Colorado clearly took a down a few notches to get ready for Vancouver the very next night, it was all but decided.

I certainly wasn't fooled when I saw that Markstrom was suddenly unavailable.

I said 8-2 to the old girl right before the game started. It was only 6-2 because the Avs tired of scoring on them and they knew they had a back to back.

Justus is not a good goalie...........but the amazing offense overcomes that. Georgi isn't even really that great but he can play well enough to win tight games if the offense falls asleep.......not happening with Justus. I think that's my only complaint with the Avs right now....but its just a minor gripe as long as Georgi stays healthy.

This statement is bang on:

Pokecheque wrote:
This whole "sending the right message" thing was an absolute blunder by the Flames that's now blown up in their faces. Gonna be an interesting offseason because there are going to be a lot of players who might ask out. You KNOW Markstrom is done.

That could be the 2025 season thread title...... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:53 pm 

Yeah the goaltending is a HUGE concern, and frankly IMO Justus got damn lucky a few times. Notably guys like Sharangovich and Huberdeau completely missing the net on prime scoring chances.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:36 am 
King of Men

I have meant to come by and toot the wonderful goaltending of Dustin Wolf :toot: however this could have been there all year.

His situation has been handled piss poorly by the Flames......but he may be looking at 5 starts in a row. I don't know what Markstrom is hurt with.......feelings or a real physical ailment. If he could be magically unavailable for 15 more games I wouldn't mind.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:54 am 
Big in Japan

harmfuljays wrote:
I have meant to come by and toot the wonderful goaltending of Dustin Wolf :toot: however this could have been there all year.

His situation has been handled piss poorly by the Flames......but he may be looking at 5 starts in a row. I don't know what Markstrom is hurt with.......feelings or a real physical ailment. If he could be magically unavailable for 15 more games I wouldn't mind.

He was amazing against the Habs. 36 saves, robbed Caufield a couple of times. He moves really well back there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:54 pm 

Would not be surprised if they were just bubble wrapping Markstrom prior to an offseason trade. Nice to see Wolf coming along nicely.

Also, and yes I'm going to say it, nice to see them pick up a win wearing their proper uniforms.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:45 pm 
King of Men

So apparently Vladar is done for the year......and today Markstrom came off of day to day....so that left Dustin Wolf!

Why oh why won't this team just play him!? Even the stars are aligning for this dude to play games!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next