OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:10 pm 
King of Men

Beautiful....6 years at 6 Million. Bravo Treliving! 7 years later.....Mikka was 36.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:02 am 
Big in Japan

Flames replace Brodie with Tanev. Musical chairs in the Pacific division.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:04 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

:nar:
Logical Progression wrote:
E.L. wrote:
Flames get blown out by The Gurianovs in game 6. Season over.

They've got cap room and turnover on defence this offseason. They could be players in the Taylor Hall sweepstakes. That would jazz the fanbase, for obvious reasons.

They'll be happy to get Valimaki back. Will they bring back Talbot or go for someone more high profile like Holtby?
They need to address their goaltending issues. I bet they go hard after Markstrom in free agency.
:nar:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:53 am 
King of Men

Spot on LP.

Tanev is a decent add and brings another Right handed shot the Flames were looking for on D. He also looks to be a bit steadier on D than Brodie. Pilfering from the Canucks does cause me to smile a bit.

I will briefly mention depth additions Rinaldo, Robinson, Froese and Petrovic ....and that's it.

I am not hurt by Rieder, Brodie, or Jankowski......

Gustaffson I thought maybe..but there is still time for that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:31 pm 
King of Men

That's too bad Gustaffson signs with Philly

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/erik-gustafsson

No way the Flames were giving him 3 Mil.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:32 am 
King of Men

A few more housekeeping chores remain.....MangePunani/Kylington (????) ...Barring another mid level D man for the RSide or a trade that's pretty much that (not much out there for FAs, Ceci, Hamonic....maybe Jan Rutta).
https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free ... ineligible

Treliving has done as good as he can and on paper has given this organization a chance to succeed for the next few years. Expectations will be extremely high again next year....as every time I think Treliving is going to be shown the door he manages to squeak out a few more opportunities. Truly he must be on that last life by now.

As the Flames have dawdled over the past few seasons other Western teams are now coming into their own windows and bolstering their lineups. Its not going to be easy....especially when you have to face teams out of the West like Colorado, Vancouver, Vegas, Stars and Blues. Fortunately, Edmonton and Vegas are really the only concerns in a Pacific division that's seen the California dynasty pass so they can consider themselves lucky there.

I don't really like the interim tag being removed from Ward...but I understand the need for stability at the helm. Especially considering the fragility of this group's game ego over the years.

It seems like there should be a lot of teams in the West that have WCF or bust goals. I am not sure if this team can meet those expectations but that seems to be the minimum goal here as well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:50 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Unless Tanev bounces back from two rather sub-par seasons, that may be a regrettable signing. I like Tanev but the numbers seemed to suggest he had fallen off a cliff in recent years. Also, there's the injury history. All things considered though not the worst idea for a replacement for Brodie on the right side.

I also think the Flames will come to regret going with that much term with 30-year-old Jacob Markstrom, but it was almost worth it seeing Edmonton have to limp away and just go with the same inadequate tandem they had before.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:16 pm 
King of Men

MangePunani is back in the fold! 2 years at 2.42....Bravo!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:23 pm 
Big in Japan

Joakim Nordstrom jumps from Boston to Calgary on a one year deal. Jay, presumably you know him well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:12 am 
King of Men

Yep...that seems to be the good thing about this underlying Boston/Calgary connection they seem to have. For 700K he is what he is. Flames picked him up from a team that has no secondary scoring so that should tell you something. Depth add on 3rd or 4th line in lieu of more Robinson or Rinaldo. I believe the Flames are up to 7 Swedes now! Going to have to bring back Kylington to make the whole Flames side Swedish at one time (Kinnvall would also work).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:43 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Unless Tanev bounces back from two rather sub-par seasons, that may be a regrettable signing. I like Tanev but the numbers seemed to suggest he had fallen off a cliff in recent years. Also, there's the injury history. All things considered though not the worst idea for a replacement for Brodie on the right side.

I also think the Flames will come to regret going with that much term with 30-year-old Jacob Markstrom, but it was almost worth it seeing Edmonton have to limp away and just go with the same inadequate tandem they had before.
The more I think about this, the more I am in agreement and glad the Canucks couldn't afford him. I think Markstrom will be fine for the first couple of years of the contract but injury history and age will catch him up. Good on him though. At 31 he finally gets a payday and sets up his family. I'll take Schmidt over Tanev any day of the week even if he's a lefty playing on the right side.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:46 pm 
Big in Japan

Flames sign more depth guys: Nikita Nesterov and Dominik Simon. The former smallish puckmoving defenceman and the latter a forechecker.

Bit players at low salaries.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:18 am 
Big in Japan

Calgary continues to dumpster dive, adding yet another former Nuck in RW Josh Leivo. I actually like this guy as a buy-low candidate. Solid speed and size, shoots a lot but can actually score a few goals. More of a middle-bottom sixer, and he's never really established himself anywhere. Injuries? Inconsistency?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:50 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Calgary continues to dumpster dive, adding yet another former Nuck in RW Josh Leivo. I actually like this guy as a buy-low candidate. Solid speed and size, shoots a lot but can actually score a few goals. More of a middle-bottom sixer, and he's never really established himself anywhere. Injuries? Inconsistency?

Solid third line player, capable of sliding up to 2nd line if injuries happen and they do. This loss is comparable to Stetcher, both players I'd like to see still on the Canucks at the price point they were signed for (actually Leivo in a normal year would be worth $1 mil plus) but the Nucks budget is blown and no room.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:53 pm 

Meh, they certainly improved the goaltending but did absolutely nothing to address their biggest issue: Depth at center. The depth on the back end should be a lot better with a developing Kylington and now-healthy Valimaki, but I still feel that Gio has to be superhuman in order for this team to be in the upper echelon of the league.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Meh, they certainly improved the goaltending but did absolutely nothing to address their biggest issue: Depth at center. The depth on the back end should be a lot better with a developing Kylington and now-healthy Valimaki, but I still feel that Gio has to be superhuman in order for this team to be in the upper echelon of the league.

I wonder if they had a look at Domi. I know the Habs were entirely focused on Anderson, but I wonder what they thought of Lindholm or Bennett.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:02 pm 
Old Man of the Post

E.L. wrote:

Dammit, was hoping JB would scrounge up enough cushion change to re-up Leivo. He's a solid 3rd liner with good 2-way play. I'd place him ahead of Virtanen in terms of hockey IQ (yeah, that's a low bar) so while Leivo may not have Virtanen's speed and flash, he won't drive you bananas on the back check either. Great pick up for Calgary. Recovering from a broken kneecap might slow him down...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:16 pm 

E.L. wrote:
I wonder if they had a look at Domi. I know the Habs were entirely focused on Anderson, but I wonder what they thought of Lindholm or Bennett.

He seems right in line with what they want on that roster, too bad for them they don't really have a Josh Anderson-type at wing, at least not one they're willing to part with.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:40 am 
Big in Japan

I don't love their lineup.

Nesterov, Tanev and a healthy Valimaki will ease the loss of Brodie. Markstrom finally gives them a goalie.

Forward corps doesn't look as deep as I remember: Simon, Nordstrom, Leivo expected to play a big role. Dube good enough for a regular top 6 role? He'll have to be.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:59 am 
King of Men

Rasmus is going to be a stud this year. Beyond that....the offensive corps is either going to step or be shipped off.

This lineup is probably adequate under normal conditions but more than likely not enough when considering the division they are in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8