OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:45 am 
King of Men

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames- ... -309399192

Don't know any of those guys beyond Parsons and Ruzicka.

So we are on our way to the final week. Quite honestly I think this Tckachuk contract issue might open a spot for Czarnik to slide into at the beginning of the season. I am also starting to think that perhaps the Flames think they can get away with Bennett (in place of Tkcachukjak) and may give him his final tryout before his next contract. Don't see how Dube doesn't make it. I don't see any of the PTOs making it. D's not really a question. I am sure there is more to this depending on contract status but I don't think this looks much different than last year.

Talbot's play has been concerning. If the goaltending is weak that feeds a fragile group.

My focus is going to turn on the Vets this week and see how they are responding after being ass smacked by Colorado. See if they have turned the page and their heads are ready.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:45 am 
King of Men

3 Year bridge at 7 Million for Tksachcukk

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/fla ... year-deal/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:43 pm 
Big in Japan

It'll be interesting to see who gets more cost-savings in the end: the short term guys or the long term guys. I think the era of the 10-year deal might be over, though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:25 pm 
King of Men

I do have to register a minor gripe with this team. Every other Canadian team seems to broadcast all their preseason games. CGY and EDM don't seem to feel that preseason is worth broadcasting. While all this appears to be moot with the last week of preseason approaching I do feel its worth mentioning that the same attention to hockey doesn't seem to be represented in the province of Alberta!

Hell even Jersey and the Avs have been represented fully via the package.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:05 pm 
King of Men

Jon Gillies on waivers...ends up being the next version of Brent Krahn/Leland Irving.

Which lead me to this great write up about the Flames goalie drafting history (in a nutshell not very good):

https://flamesnation.ca/2019/06/06/the- ... g-goalies/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:27 pm 
King of Men

How a Battle of Alberta doesn't find its way onto Sportsnet in Alberta is beyond me. Last Preseason game on a Saturday night....nope put on Survivor or some stupid shit. Clean it up Calgary!

Surprisingly they sign Zac Rinaldo to a 2 way deal.

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames- ... -309560384

Rinaldo sent down and Quine on Waivers as of today.

Here we go........the heat is literally on this team starting in Colorado. Make or break time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:06 pm 
King of Men

You have to be shitting me.....How did Dube not make it?

https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/future- ... -309599084

:fry:

But I guess who was he supposed to knock out Czarnik? But hey ......Tobias Rieder and Kylington made it so.......

Brad says its better for him to play in Stockton then not play on the big club.......whatever.............. :zoid:

Moving on to Thursday. :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Zero goal Reider made it? Really?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:57 am 
King of Men

He had 2 goals against EDM the final night apparently he also had a good camp but I couldn't tell you that since Calgary doesn't like to broadcast its pre-season games.

The Kylington thing I can understand as he played on a pairing with Rasmus when they were younger.

I am assuming the dead weight will work itself out as the season starts and we see Dube rather promptly.

IMO this game in Denver is a must win right out of the gate.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:51 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

:dance: :fap:

Attachments:
3D0317B4-E8A6-4C0F-AC50-7F21946A9868.jpeg
3D0317B4-E8A6-4C0F-AC50-7F21946A9868.jpeg [ 124.16 KiB | Viewed 7778 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Doughty vs. Tkachuk is quite the rivalry.

Some background: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/tka ... y-nhl-use/

Last night, Doughty scored the winner in OT and gestured to the Calgary crowd. Great stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:20 pm 

Whoa...may want to forget about last night. Especially this goal.

https://www.nhl.com/video/reaves-cashes ... c-69603903

Bennett and Jankowski collide just inside the blue line, which leads to a turnover and a soft-as-hell goal given up by "Big Save Dave" to...Ryan Reaves.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:29 pm 
King of Men

Well its safe to call the Lucic/Neal swap the Neal steal at this point. Whatever and however Peters used Neal was clearly wrong.....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:14 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
Well its safe to call the Lucic/Neal swap the Neal steal at this point. Whatever and however Peters used Neal was clearly wrong.....

There was some talk that after two straight trips to the Stanley Cup Final that Neal was burned out and just either didn't have the same jump he usually does or didn't do quite the same training regimen. I don't know if that's true or not, but finally having a long offseason at the very least appears to have given Neal the rest/training he desperately needed. Maybe the best thing was to just hold tight and give him the chance to turn it around, but the way things ended in Calgary probably left too sour a taste for everyone involved.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:32 am 
King of Men

Ho hum....The Flames hold on to fend off a game Ducks team. Hopefully this is something they can build off of and get after it. Cam Talbot was good when he needed to be.

Czarnik (who I have liked since Boston)....with time and space he's really good unfortunately that's not how this game works on the small ice. He's getting moved up like I thought he might last year. He's got the skills but not sure if he's got the strength on the puck (let's not forget he did not fit into the layer system in Boston). I hope he excels. Jankowski has really struggled to open the year....his semi hold out obviously didn't work for him. Between Jankowski, Rieder and Frolik its time to see Dube. Oliver Kylington has also struggled and Mark Stone is in.

Milan says the right things....but that's about it. I like the guy but whenever I see him go down low I pray for a slow transition or a logjam on the boards otherwise its a break the other way. Neal steal indeed!

This team can't ride the .500 pine for long and if they take it into the American holidays I expect to see some trades.

The positive has been Johnny is back to Johnny and quietly carrying the team again. Elias Lindholm wasn't a flash in the pan and Big Save Dave has been adequate when the D isn't pyloning in front of him.

I can't help it but I've seen this Flames team before over the years. Its too early to call what I am seeing so I hope that Bruce Peters and the crew can get the momentum going in the right direction.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:36 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Ho hum....The Flames hold on to fend off a game Ducks team. Hopefully this is something they can build off of and get after it. Cam Talbot was good when he needed to be.

Czarnik (who I have liked since Boston)....with time and space he's really good unfortunately that's not how this game works on the small ice. He's getting moved up like I thought he might last year. He's got the skills but not sure if he's got the strength on the puck (let's not forget he did not fit into the layer system in Boston). I hope he excels. Jankowski has really struggled to open the year....his semi hold out obviously didn't work for him. Between Jankowski, Rieder and Frolik its time to see Dube. Oliver Kylington has also struggled and Mark Stone is in.

Milan says the right things....but that's about it. I like the guy but whenever I see him go down low I pray for a slow transition or a logjam on the boards otherwise its a break the other way. Neal steal indeed!

This team can't ride the .500 pine for long and if they take it into the American holidays I expect to see some trades.

The positive has been Johnny is back to Johnny and quietly carrying the team again. Elias Lindholm wasn't a flash in the pan and Big Save Dave has been adequate when the D isn't pyloning in front of him.

I can't help it but I've seen this Flames team before over the years. Its too early to call what I am seeing so I hope that Bruce Peters and the crew can get the momentum going in the right direction.

I think depth at center is their biggest issue. Pretty much every season Boring Monahan gets hurt, and that's usually when the Flames' fortunes take a turn for the worse. Backlund is a very good defensive center but he's really not suited for top-six duty. Beyond that they have...Jankowski and Ryan? That ain't good enough should Monahan get hobbled up again.

If they're gonna make a move, they should really try and see about getting a good center. Personally, if they can somehow make the cap situation work, I think Kyle Turris would be a decent get. I get that he's struggled in Nashville, but I just don't think he's a good fit there. I think he'd be a solid fit in Calgary, almost like a Conroy 2.0.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:02 am 
King of Men

Eghad there must have been an agreement not to play D or stop the puck last night in Calgary. Big Save Dave was more like Big Sieve Dave (3.06/.901 now) and was only matched by Bob's inconsistency.

Quote:
GOALIE SV SA SV%
Sergei Bobrovsky 19 24 .792
David Rittich 18 23 .783

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:01 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Yikes - TJ Brodie collapses on ice at Flames practice today and starts convulsing. Shades of Jiri Fischer. Hope he's ok.

https://twitter.com/CTVGCampbell/status ... 3802724353

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:19 pm 

My God...hope he's okay.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:55 am 
King of Men

Well....I've stayed away from commenting on this team because I didn't feel it was time. Its time. 2 shutouts...the first one blamed on TJ Brodie's circumstance.....the last one....just suckery.

.500 by Thanksgiving and effort in about 3/4 of those....Leafesque! I'll try my best here to describe this. At the NHL everyone has an ego....and they are now more fragile than ever for some reason. During the offseason management was dealing with missed expectations from the playoffs.....they made it apparent that certain individuals were expendable if the opportunity came along...it did not and those folks are still in the dressing room. Bill Peters isn't exactly the type of coach that the players are going to rally around so they have to find it within the locker room. And if the locker room can't fix it then its on Treliving once again to make changes to the locker room.

It would be one thing if this team didn't have the talent and put forth mad effort. However its full of talent without effort. I've seen so many versions of this team having the same crisis of confidence over the years and I am not interested in waiting around for them to figure it out :viking: . Find the Passion and hire a full time sports psychologist already!

If that means moving out the trade bait from the beginning of the year....or a one time untouchable like Monahan (flip him for Nylander!) hitting the road so be it. Bennett......gone....Czarnik.....good in pre-season and with space....maybe should play overseas. Frolik...wretched...obviously not interested in being here. Jankowski.....yeeeouch.....clean it up. Lucic....well its Lucic.

Talbot is about as average as I expected him to be. Rittich is serviceable.

So they play the Avs this Tuesday, who are depleted but still finding ways to win with effort and teamwork. If the Flames can't get up to win that one at home its alarm bell time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next