Post subject: Bennett Signed for 2
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:58 am 
King of Men

http://www.tsn.ca/flames-sign-bennett-t ... l-1.849285

Thank Goodness.....

Post subject: Re: Bennett Signed for 2
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:55 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Man, this kid's a complete waste of time. Abort! Abort!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:21 am 
King of Men

Not ready to cut bait quite yet! Even with his penchant for stupid repeat infractions (yes Sam they are still calling slashing).

The Flames are finding their way slowly (perhaps too slowly). They've waived Freddie Hamilton and Tanner Glass...finally Matt Stajan is scratched although why he is on the team still I don't know. He must be a good guy like Troy Brouwer.

Jags is old.....and he enjoys the fame Calgary is providing him in town (not sure who that deal was better for).

The glaring problem is secondary scoring.

I am fine with Bennett making less than 2 million a year....he's way better than Michael Ferland. Problem is you've got Glenn at the helm and Bennett as you're only tradeable roster asset. Flames need secondary scoring NOW not in 3 years.

I think Brad has done the best he could (minus Brouwer) with the budget he has. But by investing so heavily in the D you are expecting this team to be way tighter and win/steal close games (which Smith has done so far). Glenn won't last the year if he can't get them to buy in.

Unfortunately this team still has a lot of holes. They are very weak in depth and a few injuries away from the bottom tier of the league.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:44 pm 

Really? I thought Flames fans liked Ferland. Is he defensively capable or is he just Cal Clutterbuck 2.0?

That current line of NHL castoffs (Versteeg, Lazar, and Brouwer) is interesting. I can't help but think Tree-Living throws Burke a bone every now and then. There's no other way to explain the drafting of big doof Hunter Smith or the signing of Troy Browuer after he was pretty much done in STL.

The good news is Tkachuk the Younger is looking like a real find. Dude's got all the talent of his old man (maybe not quite as savvy as he was in the slot, but whatever) plus instincts that just can't be taught. Backlund, so long as he stays healthy, should be just fine as their 2nd line/shutdown center.

I still feel like this team isn't nearly as good as their talent suggests...and I think that has something to do with the coach. But we'll see.

I haven't seen Jagr play for the Flames yet but what I've heard/read is that he's not out for a lot and gets tired easily--gonna take him a while to get back into NHL form I guess. But what was not good was that he was apparently trying everything he could to create offense alongside Bennett, who's just turned into a black hole where the puck goes to die. No idea if Jankowski is any better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:59 pm 
King of Men

Maybe Flames fans do like Ferland. I don't notice him much when I watch the games (even though he's scored 5 goals). Bennett has as many points as Glass and Stajan....0. Even Lazar and Hamilton have him there.

Me personally I am willing to give Bennett a pass for this year BUT if immediate help is needed he's available. They've given him a lot of opportunity to succeed and so far he just hasn't even though his effort level is usually decent.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:07 am 
King of Men

Bennett picks up his first assist of the year on Jankowski's first goal. Jags scores. Good progressive game from the Flames last night.

Ferland also scored. That's his 6th....perhaps I should lighten up on him.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:00 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Bennett picks up his first assist of the year on Jankowski's first goal. Jags scores. Good progressive game from the Flames last night.

Ferland also scored. That's his 6th....perhaps I should lighten up on him.

Maybe Ferland is the modern-day Kevyn Adams. Doesn't score much but when he scores it's highlight-reel worthy. :lol:

Jags scores his first as a Flame in what looked like the slowest 2-on-1 ever. :lol: I'm pretty sure that was fan-favorite Jonathan Ericsson defending it poorly too.

Jankowski scores his first career NHL goal, Jagr on the assist. Nice!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:29 am 
King of Men

https://theathletic.com/flames/

If you have an Athletic sub you will have to login to get the graphic descriptions.

Kent Wilson on the Athletic. Highlights...login for the full article.

Sam Bennett is unlikely to ever become a top-six NHL forward

Quote:
Last year, both Flames fans and management expected Sam Bennett to take a real step forward. In fact, Brad Treliving essentially bet on Bennett developing enough to carry the club’s third line by concentrating on both defense and goaltending in favour of forward depth in the off-season.

Unfortunately, that bet didn’t pan out. Bennett ran in place for the second straight season, kicking off the year with a 15-game pointless streak as Calgary’s third line center. The youngster’s struggles convinced the team to shunt him to left wing for the rest of the season and call up Mark Jankowski.

The Bennett and Jankowski combination experienced occasional spikes of effectiveness, interspersed with long dry spells and struggles. In fact, that pattern has marked Bennett throughout his NHL career so far – rare bursts where he looks like he has finally figured things out, only to be followed by extended bouts of ineffectiveness.

With the player entering his fourth NHL season and second year of a $1.9 million bridge deal, the organization is facing a difficult decision with Bennett – keep him and hope that he eventually improves, or trade him before his trade value bottoms out.

It is possible for a bottom Q4 player to evolve into a top-six forward, but it’s unlikely (33 per cent).
Outside of scoring, Bennett’s underlying numbers to date haven’t been particularly noteworthy either.

The implication is that Bennett probably isn’t going to suddenly turn into a much better player moving forward. The one confounding factor is his idiosyncratic circumstances to date, with the possibility that his less than ideal role and linemates over the last two seasons have undermined his results to a significant degree.

Assuming this isn’t the case and Bennett has settled in as a 0.40 PPG, middle-rotation winger, the Flames will have decided if he has more value to the team in that role or as a trade chip given what the perception of the player is around the league currently.

Still not sold on him needing to be traded.....he's arbitration available in 19-20. Might as well ride it out.

The second coming of Jamie Lundmark! Package him up for Craig Conroy!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:00 pm 
Big in Japan

The 2014 draft was a weird one. Quite a few whiffs at the top, and they all smell of taking the Good Canadian Boy over the more talented Europeans. You don't see teams miss quite so badly anymore, although admittedly they mostly became pros.

Case in point, did anyone really think Dal Colle or Virtanen were better than Nylander? Nope, just that Junior paid for the sins of his father and people thought he couldn't handle physical play. Ehlers and Fiala similarly fell, and Tuch/Schmaltz/Larkin/Pastrnak all went way too low!

The Sams were the other lottery picks, and neither has really stood out yet and I could see both of them getting shipped out this offseason.

Most of their nucleus is under 30. No reason why this team shouldn't be better, unless they saddled their good young guys with truculent anchors.