OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:04 am 
King of Men

Good year from the Flames. Nice pickup of Stone to secure the backend. Backlund has been great this year.....Jonny has been dazzling.....Monahan a work horse. TJ seems to have found his game and Giordano has turned into a solid leader. Elliott discovered the pipes again. Even Dougie is maturing.

I love Sam Bennett's game. He and Tkachuk are like piss and vinegar. Tkachuk may need to take it down a notch or teams are going to start running him (which they are doing already).

Unfortunately I did not make it up to Calgary a few weeks back to see a game or Tea Party.

Alas.......all signs point to a 1st round matchup with a superior team, The Ducks. A recent home and home showed the Flames just how well rounded and seasoned the Ducks are. While the Flames are good....the ducks are better for now. I think the Flames could at least take it to 7 this time but they would need all hands on deck to beat the Ducks...and then it comes down to coaching Carlyle clearly has the edge on Gulutzan. Its a shame because I think they could go far but the Ducks are clearly a team that has the Flames number.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I think a ton of it has to do with Mikael Backlund's resurgence. Not sure what the hell happened last year but he has found his game again. You can't put a premium on good two-way forwards (TAKE NOTE AVALANCHE).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:17 pm 

Matthew Tkachuk has created a new stat: Most suspensions drawn by game. His grand total is now up to 14(!). 10 for the Witkowski incident, 4 for what went down with Landeskog the other night.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:03 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Matthew Tkachuk has created a new stat: Most suspensions drawn by game. His grand total is now up to 14(!). 10 for the Witkowski incident, 4 for what went down with Landeskog the other night.
What does he say / do to make the opposition go so crazy? He must have some good smack.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:26 pm 

Logical Progression wrote:
What does he say / do to make the opposition go so crazy? He must have some good smack.

Well, he gave Witkowski a little poke to the back of the knee with his stick as the guy was leaving the ice following that huge brawl, not sure what went down between Landy and Little Tkachuk earlier, but I think there's a history.

Dude just seems to know how to push buttons, that's for sure. His old man did that to a certain extent as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:44 pm 

Gulutzan had a very public meltdown at practice that saw him throw a stick into the stands, and that was definitely by design. We’ll see if it has an effect but they won their last game against the Ducks in the waning seconds of the third.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:24 am 
King of Men

This team has been all over the map this season. Sometimes they play with effort, sometimes they care, sometimes they don't.....Mike Smith has been their saviour this year.....and Johnny has been his usual solid self. Hamonic has been ugly and Brodie's game has fallen off. The Backlund line hasn't been as good as they have been in the past and the 3rd and 4th lines haven't been good until the recent call ups. Hamilton might care even less now that Freddie is gone.

Mangiapane has been great since called up and I like the grit of Hathaway. I suppose I also need to give props to Ferland (the Flames Kevin Stevens).

Its hard to give a team heart. That's what Veterans do, well Veterans that can actually play (see Gelinas). I think a lot of the mediocrity can be attributed to the organization's dogged loyalty to certain members of the team that shouldn't have occupied a roster spot.

With their backs to the wall for this 2018 season they've had some recent character victories but can they continue and will it be enough to get in the dance? We'll see....I am not sold on this team as is. Gulatatackson will obviously be a casualty if they don't make it and I would expect further changes.

Big stretch coming up here this week should determine which way the wind blows.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:59 am 
Old Man of the Post

I'm going to blatantly copy the title of this thread. But with more algebra.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:54 am 
King of Men

This team is not a contender at this point. Way too fragile and inconsistent. Lots of disinterested seat fillers.
NO HEART! Isn't Burke somewhere in this organization?

Without the goaltending this season would be a shit show.

GULAKAAKLALKKSIN has to go.

Not even sure how to fix this......I had a HF dream the other night they traded Monahan for Ovechkin......yikes!!!!!!

How do you reason with a franchise that continues to ice Stajan and Brouwer? :steamingpileofcrap:

So here is the free agent list....

http://nhlnumbers.com/nhl-free-agents

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:17 am 
Big in Japan

Gulutzan wasn't all that great in Dallas. Funny enough could Lindy Ruff be interested in the Calgary job?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:34 pm 

I doubt Calgary gets Ruff. Sooner or later New York is firing Vigneault and will promote him. I still can't believe it hasn't happened yet.

To be honest, Vigneault might be a pretty good fit for Calgary. He loves matchups and the Flames have plenty of good checkers, plus they don't really have anyone young enough that Vigneault would keep on a short leash.

But yeah, Gulutzan played his very last card with the stick toss. He's on borrowed time now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:12 am 
King of Men

This week is it. Big week against powerful teams. Blew a game to the Knights last night, up next the Lightning and 2 against the Hawks. If they can't win these they need to know they are out and its time to deal. I suppose you let Gulllakakackson ride out the season.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:29 pm 

I predict Gulutzan is the first guy gone after last night. That was a horrible, horrible loss.

Part of me wants them to crater though. I don't care how justified they were, this is the team that told Jagr he wasn't good enough. Fuck them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:15 am 
King of Men

I had the impression that it was mutual....Maybe something like this........Jags we are going to put you on the 4th line with Stajan and Brouwer........Jags said I don't do fourth lines (and he shouldn't have to nor should anyone else with Stajan and Brouwer).........and well that was that.

I can't for the life of me understand the continued use of Brouwer in key situations.....perhaps 4.5 until 2020 is the reason to keep smashing the square peg into the round hole. :wookie: iiam:

Who knows what team will show up tonight against the Lightning. If this is another half ass effort Brad 3 Living has to act.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:10 am 
King of Men

Mike Smith went down in the last seconds of last nights game holding what looked like his groin.

The season hangs in the balance!

:kraken:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:28 pm 
Big in Japan

Flames lock up Backlund for 6 years/$5.35M AAV. Pending UFA, hence the big money deal:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/flam ... extension/

He would've easily gotten that much on the open market. In his prime at 28.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:42 pm 

Reaction is pretty universal across the board--this is a good deal. Either way, Flames couldn't afford to lose him.

On a side note, I hope this nonsense I'm hearing about the Flames wanting to get "meaner" and therefore going after one of the resident meatheads currently on the market is just talk. But given Burke is still wandering around the front office I wouldn't be surprised.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:46 pm 
King of Men

Never liked Backlund....but I don't like Ferland either.

There are a lot of passengers on this team. If you aren't Johnny or Takcakkdhuk. I have yet to see a 60 minute effort out of this team.

Dreger: Treliving not feeling the urgency to make a deal

Send Gulacksonn packing! Barely figures out how to use Dougie on the PP 1/2 through the season. The problem is becoming obvious.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:31 am 
King of Men

Gulackssssonson has to go!!!!!! This is not a good team right now with Mike Smith out. Its going down the drain!

Why can't this team play D?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:13 pm 

Another fucking bullshit offsides review takes away a good goal that would've tied the game last night. Calgary's momentum came to a screeching halt right then and there. This is going to completely ruin the postseason unless the goddamn NHL does something about it.