OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:59 pm 
King of Men

The kids aren't doing so well....and its a slow start in Calgary.......straight off a Connor McDavid coming out party on Saturday night the Flames are 1-4.

The Goalies are a mess and the D isn't playing well together. Get it Righted Sideshow Bob!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:40 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Little surprised they're coming out so slowly. I know people like Lambert are screaming "I toldja so" but this is still kinda odd. If they were gonna regress, you'd have thunk it would've been last year.

The strange thing is, it's not like they were getting great goaltending before, it was just "good enough," but now it's atrocious.

Perhaps we all underestimated just how good Brodie really is. Giordano went down last year and the Flames still kept winning. No Brodie, however...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:42 am 
King of Men

Maybe missing Brodie is it because the pairings are off. But you'd think the would be able to weather the storm with Hamilton back there. No offence to Kulak but when he's been the bright spot so far.....its time to wonder. Wideman, Russel and Gio are all a -5. While Monahan is a-6 so far....but these guys are also the TOI leaders.

The Goalies are just downright horrible.......Ramo is an adventure and when he isn't busy overplaying the shot there is Hiller who is underplaying it. Nothing new here either.

Bob has the whole team playing a bit looser D early on. Not sure if that's just his plan to get them acquainted...but he's going to need to start tightening it up.

I honestly don't see this team as being this years version of the Avalanche. The organizations are on 2 different paths.

Perhaps the expectations might be too high but its reasonable to expect a 6, 7, 8 slot and a shot at the dance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:27 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

The Flames made a lot of 40 foot putts last year and know it - which is why they brought in Hamilton and utility man Frolik. Perhaps we're just seeing a correction. The absence of Brodie might be a key part missing from the formula, but my guess is that new players are still searching for chemistry and without strong goaltending it's hard to get anywhere in this league.

They'll be battling it out for 6,7,8 playing spot with the Canucks, LA and a handful of other teams.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:06 pm 

Oh the Flames are in MUCH better shape than the Avs. They have a much, much better defensive corps and a coach who's light years better than Roy. It's a shame ol' Patty didn't take more pages out of his mentor's book.

BTW, Bob's Avalanche teams had poor starts nearly every season. His first year the press was even calling them the Av-nots. The only time they got off to a rollicking start, they won the Cup.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:03 am 
King of Men

Worst home start in Franchise history!

Last nights game against Washington was one of the worst games I have seen from the Flames since I chucked a coloring book at the TV......Hamilton and Wideman were atrocious. Wideman getting undressed in his own zone with the puck requires immediate benching!!!!

I should know who the panel guy is for Sportsnet but his name eludes my old man mind at the moment. He was incensed! Said there was no excuse for Hamilton and Wideman to be playing this way and that the whole team needs to button up and play responsibly.

F'n terrible game....not only was Ramo chased but then Hiller came in and went sieve......Ortio is no saviour.

I am not going to panic after 6 out of 82 but I don't see this getting any better.

Fortunately other favored teams in the West are also bombing....(Ducks, Jackets)

TJ Brodie Save us!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:08 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
Last nights game against Washington was one of the worst games I have seen from the Flames since I chucked a coloring book at the TV...

:haha:

curious as to whether you color between the lines or just chew on the crayons? ;)

It might be frustrating but its a young team and they'll tend to swing to extremes but they have loads of potential...........I wish the future of my team looked half as bright.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:04 pm 
Big in Japan

Ramo on waivers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:37 pm 
King of Men

I smash the crayons!

E.L. wrote:
Ramo on waivers.

Well that's where he belongs....again...no idea how he was extended and given so much money in the first place.....

iiam:

Bigger yet is news that Bennett is being dangled for Stamkos.....that sounds like a pipe dream and doesn't sound like a goalie fix.

Trevling is beginning to panic....see below.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/10/21/rep ... er=ya5nbcs

Stand back folks...young team or not this looks like a train wreck in progress!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:25 am 
King of Men

Somehow calling up Jakub Nakladal and sending down Kulak is supposed to right things......

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.com/2 ... sign-kulak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:39 am 

Some thoughts on Calgary after finally seeing them in action tonight, a 6-3 loss to the also-struggling Avalanche.

Dennis Wideman is freaking awful. Looked lost the entire game. That contract is looking like a real stinker right now.

Apart from an end-to-end rush that drew a penalty, Dougie Hamilton was fairly invisible most of the night. I actually noticed Russell more than I did him.

Despite scoring a goal, Mark Giordano doesn't look like the worldbeater he was the last two seasons. He was flat-out taking over games last year. Either he's still recovering or he just somehow came back down to earth. Brodie is now back, and looked pretty good actually.

No idea why Hartley is wasting his time with Deryk Engelland. Dude's a goon and not much else. Even had him out on the PK and the Avs, whose power play hasn't been doing much, scored. That's what having Brian Burke in your organization will do sometimes I guess. He shouldn't be in the lineup at all, but then again neither should Wideman.

Johnny Hockey is an astounding talent. Was dangerous basically all night and his best move IMO (Avs announcers noticed it too) was a spin-o-rama behind-the-back pass in the defensive zone to start a break the other way. Just amazing speed and hockey sense in addition to world class talent. You can build around that kid.

Sam Bennett isn't there yet, but he will be. Had two almost-goals that had to be reviewed, and then scored one that tied the game briefly. I didn't notice Boring Monahan much.

Ramo wasn't horrible, but he wasn't great either.

One other guy I didn't even notice was Mikael Backlund. I had to look on the scoresheet to see if he even played. He only got about 10 minutes, so I'm guessing he's in Hartley's doghouse. If he's struggling, then that's a big reason why the Flames are struggling.

Leading the team in ice time tonight for Calgary was Russell (24:02) and Brodie (23:06). Engelland clocked in at just over 15 minutes. Yeesh. That's waaaay too much. Guess ol' Bob doesn't shorten the bench like he used to.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:24 pm 
King of Men

The only thing I noticed that was different last night was that damn annoying Woot Woot!!!! after all the f'n Avs goals! I used that to irritate my wife while she was watching PBS until I got the boot from the bedroom. But the opposing team scoring a shit load isn't anything new this season.

Bennett is slowly coming up to speed. He's going to be good. Johnny is f'n amazing. Best player by far this year.

I thought Duchene scoring twice was nice.....and boy do I miss Jarome. I don't give a shit if he is an old man. He could score 10 goals during the game and I would have nothing bad to say about him. Probably the classiest guy in the NHL today.

That was 2 possession challenged crappy teams going at it. One with a better goaltender!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:31 pm 
King of Men

.500 on 12/15/2015...........Calgary playing much better. Goaltending and D still a bit shoddy but they are moving the puck better. 6 in a row.

Johnny is the man!