OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:27 pm 
King of Men

Who knew the Canucks were also musicians? Might even beat the Flames here:

Quote:
The B-side of "Seasons In The Sun" was a humorous song entitled Put the Bone In which was ostensibly about a woman asking her butcher to put in a bone with the rest of her meat order, but was intended to be a sexual double entendre. (The tune, recorded in Vancouver, contained several members of the Vancouver Canucks hockey team on backing vocals.)

Unfortunately there is about 3 seconds of backing vocals.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:44 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Joey MacDonald waived, Yogi Reto Berra called up.

http://blogs.calgaryherald.com/2013/11/ ... ns-flames/

I thought for a time they should try and upgrade the goaltending, but probably should just stick with the rebuilding plan.

Still...Bryzgalov needs to be in the league. Can't believe no one is willing to take a chance.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:21 pm 

Av-merican wrote:

I thought for a time they should try and upgrade the goaltending, but probably should just stick with the rebuilding plan.

Still...Bryzgalov needs to be in the league. Can't believe no one is willing to take a chance.

Agreed, the Isles could certainly use some help

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:42 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Agreed, the Isles could certainly use some help

Last thing the Isles need is another enigmatic, streaky Russian.
Thankfully Poulin played very well yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:38 am 
King of Men

Berra looked good last night. He was quick and solid for the most part. A lot better than Macdonald who was this year's version of Trevor Kidd.

Baptism by fire just like old Krahn last year. Stempniak and Giordano have broken parts and are gone for some time. No surprise the kids are beginning to splash in the pool.

Oh well might as well keep rotating them in and out. I watched the Abottsford game the other night and Street still looks more serviceable than Stajan.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 am 

Baertschi gets scratched for two games and lets loose.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/hoc ... um=twitter

Seems eerily similar to another time Bob Hartley had a talented young left winger who wasn't quite reaching his potential. Tanguay/Hartley was definitely a love/hate relationship, but I think Bob handled it correctly. We'll see if this scenario plays out the same way.

Reportedly it was Forsberg who ran Hartley out of Colorado, not Tanguay as popularly believed, though I doubt Alex at the time was crying over the dismissal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:12 pm 
King of Men

Well at least I get to see them tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:49 pm 

Hartley's also getting some criticism as to how he's using players. Apparently when Joe Colborne gets more than 14 minutes a night the Flames have won exactly one game. When Mikael Backlund draws in for more than 14 minutes the Flames have a winning record.

Wouldn't ya know Burke's first suggestion ends up hurting the team. :toot:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:21 am 
King of Men

This team is f'n terrible! Poor Hartley lost Stempniak, Gio and Glencross. He's got nothing to work with. Monahan doesn't even know the ice now. I love this team now! Something about a sad sack bunch of kids playing their hearts out endears me!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:16 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

harmfuljays wrote:
This team is f'n terrible! Poor Hartley lost Stempniak, Gio and Glencross. He's got nothing to work with. Monahan doesn't even know the ice now. I love this team now! Something about a sad sack bunch of kids playing their hearts out endears me!

Well, get used to loving the Flames for the next 3-4 years if that's what you dig.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:37 pm 

saskhab wrote:
harmfuljays wrote:

Well, get used to loving the Flames for the next 3-4 years if that's what you dig.

Could be worse, hfj could be an Oilers fan watching them permanently rebuild. Won't be surprised if the Flames make it back to the playoffs before the Oilers do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:48 pm 

I definitely think the Flames are already doing better in their rebuild than the friggin' Oilers have in the past four years. And that's even including the facts that Feaster lost his best defensive prospect for nothing and got a shit return for Iginla.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:42 pm 

Av-merican wrote:
I definitely think the Flames are already doing better in their rebuild than the friggin' Oilers have in the past four years. And that's even including the facts that Feaster lost his best defensive prospect for nothing and got a shit return for Iginla.

Are the Oilers only four years in? Seems more like 7 or 8 to me. And I think it's a tad early to evaluate Calgary at this point, although they have the comfort of knowing their fans will be okay as long as they do better than the Oilers which sets a pretty low standard. And that's a good thing for Feaster as I think he needs a pretty low bar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:58 pm 

Fogghorn wrote:
Av-merican wrote:

Are the Oilers only four years in? Seems more like 7 or 8 to me. And I think it's a tad early to evaluate Calgary at this point, although they have the comfort of knowing their fans will be okay as long as they do better than the Oilers which sets a pretty low standard. And that's a good thing for Feaster as I think he needs a pretty low bar.

Well, I'm only counting the run of first overall picks--the "rebuild" definitely began before that. I think you could argue it began the moment they dealt Pronger, though the Oilers certainly wouldn't admit that.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:38 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

They drafted Gagner 6th overall in 2007.... which is where the Flames started their rebuild by drafting Monahan. So yeah, I'd say they are in year 7 at least.

The next year is when they went for broke with the Penner offer sheet, so they were definitely in denial. The Flames were in denial about being a playoff team, not about being a rebuilding team.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:30 am 
King of Men

I've been through the Young Guns campaign before. I can most certainly do it again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:49 pm 

Well, reality has unfortunately set in with the Flames (and it likely has with the Avs as well, the other night's win against Chi-Town aside), but I'm hoping Reto turns into a decent netminder. Any goalie who can do stuff like this, even if it was just dumb luck, should be in the NHL.

BTW, Tim Erixon is a fucking idiot. He couldn't crack a deep lineup in NY, and is having trouble staying in at Columbus. He'd likely be playing top-four minutes in Calgary. He left because he didn't think he'd have a fair shot at making the lineup.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:11 pm 

Somewhat interesting pair of minor moves: Feaster deals Tim Jackman to Anaheim, who apparently thought they weren't big and gritty enough (?), for a 6th rounder, then get Lane MacDermid from the Stars for a 5th.

Apart from being "the guy Dallas got from Boston in the Jagr deal," I have no idea who MacDermid is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:19 pm 
King of Men

Hey Flames management! This guy is worth a shot! Matt D'Agostini.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/2385

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:17 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
Hey Flames management! This guy is worth a shot! Matt D'Agostini.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/2385

I'd say no. He was given the chance to play on the Penguins, who turned Pascal friggin' Dupuis into a scoring force, and couldn't cut it. You pick up a guy like this if you need a warm body to fill in for someone who's injured.

Unfortunately, the plan was to tank. Despite a better-than-expected start, that's exactly what they're doing now.

BTW, someone tell Reto to stay in the damned crease.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next