OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:41 pm 
King of Men

That's true....one look at the waiver wire says the Flames could plug the holes a lot better. If we we're gonna suck let's suck with what we have! I still like D'agostini though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:07 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

harmfuljays wrote:
That's true....one look at the waiver wire says the Flames could plug the holes a lot better. If we we're gonna suck let's suck with what we have! I still like D'agostini though.

His career basically consists of a hot streak here and there, but mostly he's just invisible.

How has Monahan looked? A lot of people are saying the Flames made the wrong move--I still say he's fine where he is. It's when a player plays badly or hardly plays at all (Grigorenko) who is then inexplicably kept up that I don't understand.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:50 am 
King of Men

eh....well after a hot start Monahan has settled but that also has a lot to do with the lineup mashup and injuries. For where this team is at I think he belongs. If the team continues to tank it would be good for his psyche to be sent down. It appears to me that Monahan is a finisher not a playmaker.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:37 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
eh....well after a hot start Monahan has settled but that also has a lot to do with the lineup mashup and injuries. For where this team is at I think he belongs. If the team continues to tank it would be good for his psyche to be sent down. It appears to me that Monahan is a finisher not a playmaker.

I think things will turn around a bit when Gio comes back. Losing him was a devastating blow. He's the team's best player.

For the record, I value him way, way above Phaneuf.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:51 pm 
King of Men

A lone bright spot appears to be the play of Kris Russell. Originally picked up in the offseason for a bag of pucks from the Blues (5th round pick in 2014) he is a Red Deer boy. I initially took note of him during the Avs game that I attended earlier. While certainly not an all star he was one of the only guys who could transition the puck on D without looking lost. 4 goals and 10 assists in 28 games on a woeful team. Keep up the good work Kris!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:34 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
A lone bright spot appears to be the play of Kris Russell. Originally picked up in the offseason for a bag of pucks from the Blues (5th round pick in 2014) he is a Red Deer boy. I initially took note of him during the Avs game that I attended earlier. While certainly not an all star he was one of the only guys who could transition the puck on D without looking lost. 4 goals and 10 assists in 28 games on a woeful team. Keep up the good work Kris!

I noticed him too. Dude can move. A ton of GMs in the league are idiots for not picking him up on waivers. I also heard he's pretty tough, he'll even throw down on occasion.

DU's own Chris Butler was unfortunately the guy who coughed up the puck after getting checked by Talbot that led to the Avs' 2nd goal.

Flames play a pretty good defensive system but after a while made too many mistakes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:42 am 
King of Men

on the other hand not to be confused is Chris Butler....he's absolutely terrible.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:49 pm 
King of Men

Iginla returns and the crowd is particularly excited tonight. WTF are the Flames wearing? Not a fan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:47 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

Nice intro for the returning Iggy. Flamers draw first blood to boot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:31 am 

Great moment last night in Calgary.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/consol ... id=nhl-twt

When Zdeno tells you to do something, you do it!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:06 pm 
He of the red stockings

Iginla was one of the very few Bruins playing well last night ... other than the 3rd period, of course

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:53 pm 
King of Men

Yeah....it just shows you how bad the Flames are. The Bruins just hosted a Public skating session for 58 minutes. Played for a few and went home with a victory.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:55 pm 

Apparently losing to the B's is the kiss of death. Boston has now gotten Kevin Dineen and Feaster/Weisbrod fired.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:57 pm 
King of Men

Still not sure how Chris Butler occupies a roster spot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:58 pm 
OTP Historian

Hilarious line from a Friedman 30 thoughts:

http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey ... cerns.html

Quote:
11. Quote of the week, from Ladislav Smid of the Calgary Flames. Asked how hard it was to adjust to Calgary's system from Edmonton's, he smiled and said: "Not so bad. I've had six coaches in eight years."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:17 am 
King of Men

When Brian McGrattan and Chris Butler are doing your only scoring you know you are in trouble.......

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:12 pm 
King of Men

Aggghhh what a disaster the New Year is becoming! But the good thing is I really didn't have any expectations of even a minimum amount of success.....therefore I have really have nothing to be upset about. Shame is a different story, even we have hit a new low when we are embarrassed on home ice by Olli Jokinen!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:21 pm 

I think you could probably call up Sven Baertschi now.

Poor Hartley. He hasn't suffered a ton of injuries to his lineup, but the ones that have taken place have utterly decimated his offense. First it was Giordano, and no sooner did he get back then Russell, Glencross, and Cammalleri all went down. And of course Monahan is obviously hurt.

I still don't think it was a terrible idea to keep Monahan, but in hindsight using two goaltenders who aren't really NHL-caliber probably was.

A story I read somewhere--too lazy to find it--implied Hartley has been instructed by his new boss to ice a "truculent" lineup, which is just one more reason the Flames are scoring as often as I did in high school.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:27 pm 
King of Men

Camalleri and Stempniak are both in the running for worst f'n guy in the league at a -20 (trailing only Mike Weber, Sam Gagner and Yakupov). With Matt Stajan hot on their heels (-18). Smid has brought over his already awesome defensive prowess from Edmonton at a -16. Dennis Wideman has been quietly terrible in his return as well but he's had points in the past couple of games -13 in 32 games.

Huge props to Kris Russell and Jiri Hudler for being a plus 1 over 30 games on this team......... (I suppose both of them being on the bench during the implosion helps)

I do not like Joe Colbourne. Him and Burke can catch the love train back to Toronto! And don't forget to take Stajan with you!

Hartley is screwed and he'll be fired for someone Burke wants. Don Cherry maybe or some other dinosaur (I am available). He might as well update his resume.

Sven Baertschi lacks bellicosity!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:10 pm 

Bob Hartley has made a lot of enemies over the years. There's a reason for that. He's essentially the Esa Tikkanen of coaches.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sto ... s/4660699/

His exchanges in the press with Andy Murray when he was with the Avs and Murray was with the Kings were hilarious.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next