OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:42 am 
King of Men

This guy is on crack!

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/Ca ... 33216.html

This guy is bi-polar depending on how close they are to the 8th spot!

Quote:
“I believe the answers are in that room,” Feaster said. “I believe by the end of this week or beginning of next week, David Moss is going to be back. In a couple of weeks, we will get Chris Butler out there. When Butler comes back, we will have eight defenceman at this level.

“We like that Blair Jones, hopefully, comes back by the middle of the month. When we say we need a top-nine forward and we have the chance to get David Moss coming back off IR, that’s as good a top-nine forward we could get off the market today. We didn’t need to give up an asset to do it.”

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:08 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Well, it beats what the Flames has tried to do in previous Trade Deadlines. If the Flames don't make it, then he has free rein to blow the team up and re-build. He hasn't given up anything (not that he had much in the pipeline) nor has he acquired anything that ties his hands long-term (not that they aren't already *cough-cough-Stajan-cough*). If the Flames do make it, then he looks like a genius and when they crash and burn, then he can still do a re-build. Unfortunately, this is about three years too late.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:17 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Feaster is both the best man for the job and the worst man for the job. Best because he had a similar situation in Tampa. Worst because he handled said situation rather poorly. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:19 pm 
King of Men

Well I am certainly not buying this turd. This is the exact same team that can't seem to find that extra gear. Anything can happen but I lost faith a long time ago that this team will bring Iggy a cup.

David Moss? His middle name certainly isn't "the answer" nor is Chris Butler! Puff, puff, pass.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:32 pm 

Flames made it interesting for a while but boy it sure doesn't look good right now. Reportedly Sutter was seen screaming and throwing things after tonight's shootout loss to the Wylde (a game which saw them put MATT CULLEN on defense...seriously you can't score on that!?). To say the least I will definitely be watching to see what Feaster does this offseason.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:58 pm 

Oh wait, reportedly Sutter and Feaster had it out concerning Sutter's rather...unconventional...choices for the shootout. Methinks someone did not exactly help his chances at being retained this offseason.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:10 am 
King of Men

Yep......Players should start to check out as well. In the past week we've lost 3 defensemen (Brodie, Sarich and yesterday Smith) to injury.

Quite honestly out of LA, SJ, COL, DAL and PHX Calgary if by far the weakest team and certainly the least entertaining.

If Sutter has already resorted to punching trash cans in an attempt to motivate this sad sack......well then its academic at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:38 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

I wonder why Sutter picked those guys for the shoot out? Did he think they could score? I like to think he was expressing his disgust at the shoot-out rule by making ironic choices. or something...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:54 pm 
King of Men

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/Western.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:28 am 
OTPoliceman

Captain Chaos wrote:
I wonder why Sutter picked those guys for the shoot out? Did he think they could score? I like to think he was expressing his disgust at the shoot-out rule by making ironic choices. or something...

Sutter may have played in the NHL and was successful as a junior hockey coach/GM/owner but he's not an NHL coach. The best NHL coaches apprentice in junior, then the AHL before going on to the NHL. Sutter is an example of what Patrick Roy will end up being if he takes over Montreal next season.

Calgary take 13 of a possible 16 points in their first 8 games in March, seem ready to grasp the ring and solidify a playoffs spot then promptly shit the bed against Edmonton and get 3 out of 8 points over the next 4 games. They could still get in but this home and home against Dallas could pole vault them back in or destroy them. I am really surprised how badly they respond to pressure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:26 pm 
OTPoliceman

Interesting game going on in Dallas. Stars get up 2-0 early and look to be playing kitty bar the door for the rest of the game. Phlegms did get one in the first but waited until 3/4 of the second to realize they're in a playoffs race and are throwing lots of pucks at Lehtonen.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:15 pm 
OTPoliceman

Thank you Calgary Flames for doing your part in helping the Vancouver Canucks clinch the Northwest Division title for the fourth year in a row.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:55 pm 
King of Men

And with that loss that all but seals the deal on the Guarantee. They'd have to run the table to get in....... :toot:

If anything their loss today, and the Nucks clinch might help the Avs tonight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:34 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

drl perfect III wrote:
Captain Chaos wrote:

Sutter may have played in the NHL and was successful as a junior hockey coach/GM/owner but he's not an NHL coach. The best NHL coaches apprentice in junior, then the AHL before going on to the NHL. Sutter is an example of what Patrick Roy will end up being if he takes over Montreal next season.

Calgary take 13 of a possible 16 points in their first 8 games in March, seem ready to grasp the ring and solidify a playoffs spot then promptly shit the bed against Edmonton and get 3 out of 8 points over the next 4 games. They could still get in but this home and home against Dallas could pole vault them back in or destroy them. I am really surprised how badly they respond to pressure.

These certainly weren't being said when he led New Jersey to 97 wins in two years with one division title. He's twice had the Flames above 90 points, should do it again this year.

Calgary's problems are roster related, not coach related.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:29 pm 

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... 27021.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:51 pm 
King of Men

Good lord getting Mike Camalleri is "going for it"?

:rimcrash:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:56 am 
OTPoliceman

saskhab wrote:
drl perfect III wrote:
Captain Chaos wrote:

These certainly weren't being said when he led New Jersey to 97 wins in two years with one division title. He's twice had the Flames above 90 points, should do it again this year.

Calgary's problems are roster related, not coach related.

The two years before he went to NJ they had 107 and 101 points respectively. After he left they had a 103 point season. You or I could have coached those teams to the same record. 90 point in today's NHL with all the bonus points for coming in second in O/T or S/O flatters the teams that in reality are sub .500. Sutter went from being able bully junior players while owning the Red Deer franchise with the famous volcanic Sutter temper to the NHL where players tune you out and you get fired. By missing the necessary step from juniors to minor pro, he also missed a development step in his evolution as coach, one thought not to be needed because he had played in the NHL. His flaws show.

You and I have also won as many NHL playoff rounds coaching as Brent Sutter has as well. None.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:40 am 
King of Men

nice post.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:44 am 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

drl perfect III wrote:
The two years before he went to NJ they had 107 and 101 points respectively. After he left they had a 103 point season. You or I could have coached those teams to the same record. 90 point in today's NHL with all the bonus points for coming in second in O/T or S/O flatters the teams that in reality are sub .500. Sutter went from being able bully junior players while owning the Red Deer franchise with the famous volcanic Sutter temper to the NHL where players tune you out and you get fired. By missing the necessary step from juniors to minor pro, he also missed a development step in his evolution as coach, one thought not to be needed because he had played in the NHL. His flaws show.

You and I have also won as many NHL playoff rounds coaching as Brent Sutter has as well. None.

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying Sutter is an amazing coach, I'm saying he's competent. He does as well as his rosters are expected to. There are a lot worse coaches in the league than him, he's pretty much the definition of league average. I think arguing he missed a step in development is grasping at straws, I doubt there was anything in the AHL that he would've learned that would've made him a better coach than 5 years in the NHL. His 'bullying act' certainly didn't seem to ever wear on the notoriously fickle Devils, but apparently it got old in Calgary (according to the story people like to tell) within his second season at least. Sutter has a temper and isn't gumdrops and lollipops, that wouldn't have changed with any time in the AHL. That's just who he is.

This is a team that has gotten older and less talented during every year of Sutter's tenure, perhaps save this one, but not enough to make up the ground lost. This isn't a well built hockey team.

Anyways, Flames are still in this despite all the bitching.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:52 pm 

Like the Avs, it's only a mathematical formality. I can't see all of San Jose, Dallas, Los Angeles, and Phoenix tanking to the point that either Calgary or Colorado sneak in.

The Flames IMO will be better next year. A lot of dead weight will be cut from the roster and some potential stars (Baertschi) are all but assured of a roster spot. Will they be contenders? No...but they'll be a better team.

You have to admit they've had shit luck trying to develop centermen. Marc Savard was pretty much injured the whole time he was in Calgary (which of course led to the rise of the mighty Craig Conroy), Dustin Boyd sputtered his way out of the NHL, Matthew Lombardi is one more concussion away from being a former NHLer, and it sure looks like Mikael Backlund is made of balsa wood. That might be one reason why Darryl stupidly overpaid for the services of Matt Stajan. Too bad Alex Tanguay has always sucked as a center, despite the fact his skillset suggests he'd make a good one.