OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:36 pm 
Old Man of the Post

At this point, even the Schadenfreude isn't all that enjoyable any longer... The Phegms have lost six of their last seven, and while Iggy did get the third goal last night, he's still not performing to a desperate fan base's expectations. Tough to shoulder a load that it seems only he can carry. So far, Bouwmeester has been a complete bust, Olli 2.0 has been trying and Tanguay 2.0 has been getting the odd point here and there, but not nearly enough to carry this team.

This team has been the very definition of 'stuck in the middle' - not bad enough to earn a decent draft position, and not good enough to progress in the West. How Ken King can still stand behind Darryl Sutter when this team seems to be imploding seems so strange. And from my perspective, Coach Sutter has completely lost the attention of his Captain: Iggy was -4 the other night on the 4th line. And it doesn't appear as though they have much to look forward to... CalPuck is now not only asking if it's time to trade Iggy, it's also asking if it's time to tade Kipper. Problem is, outside of Kipper, I don't know that any other team is willing to take those big contracts off their hands given the age and production (or lack thereof) of those players.

With Feaster in place, I suppose Kign has a Plan B. But unless he activates said Plan B, and gives Feaster a chance to make some moves that might have some impact, this season is rapidly getting to the point where it might be far too late to recover. And I'm not so sure that the Oilers will finish dead last in the NW the way the Flames have been playing...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:51 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Shouldn't this thread title be in the Edmonton forum?

Last season would've been the time to "blow it all up". I don't see how in hell you do that now.

I still think Iggy should stay as trading him is pretty much impossible. The salary is so big there's no way you'd get anything worthwhile in return.

Enough already with the Sutters. I think King is now realizing he fucked up big-time not letting go of Darryl sooner.

And I beg to differ, the schadenfreuds is PLENTY fun, it's watching the Oilers continue to flounder that's gotten kinda old.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:07 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Maybe it's because as a lifelong, card-carrying Canuck Fan, and despite the continued vitriol of CalPuck to anything remotely Canuckian, I find myself feeling more empathy than Schadenfreude for this sad sack bunch. Last season, the Schadenfreude was sweet nectar, CalPuck was a great source for that... This season, I find it stale and bitter... Kinda like Darryl Sutter. Brett Sutter reminds me of that professor who drones on endlessly, apparently unaware or insensitive to the possibility that his audience has completely tuned him out.

I think you're right though that the time to blow it up was last season; if Phaneuf returned Stajan, Hagman and White last year, Iginla 2010 isn't going to return anything even close to his perceived value so its a lose-lose all around. And without Phaneuf, it's hard to hate this team - aside from Iggy, there's no one on that roster that brings to mind those classic 'Nuck/Flames battles (Iggy vs. Mitchell/Ohlund, Phaneuf vs. Kesler). But Kipper would have some value, and perhaps that's the next move they need to consider...

At least the Oilers have some hope with their young players; I can't see anyone looking forward to build their team around Bourque, Backlund, or Brodie.

Given that the Flames and Canucks have yet to face each other, perhaps my empathy is misplaced...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:28 pm 

Bouwmeester is simply too damned soft to be considered a top defenseman. Dude has the intensity of a Seals & Croft concert. Phaneuf is simply too damned stupid.

The trading of Phaneuf would have made sense IF D-Sut hadn't re-signed Stajan to that dumbass contract. If he extends White he should be fired on the spot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:42 pm 
Promoted from Lt. Chaos

ha!

Enjoy and revel in their crapulousness while you can. Nothing lasts forever.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:55 pm 
Old Man of the Post

Captain Chaos wrote:
Nothing lasts forever.
But, if Darryl Sutter isn't replaced...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:54 am 
King of Men

Av-merican wrote:
Bouwmeester is simply too damned soft to be considered a top defenseman. Dude has the intensity of a Seals & Croft concert. Phaneuf is simply too damned stupid.

Awesome! Oh are we still talking about the Flames here? I've got nothing to say about this. I enjoy watching the games online and actually making fun of this team. Funny thing is every Flames fan I've met does the same thing. This team is a joke. They are not fun to watch. And this game wasn't nearly as bad as the game against the Yotes......the only time the Flames got anything going in either of these games is when their opponent took the foot off of their neck.

This team isn't even fun to talk about anymore.

See me JBo skating on the Blue Line
In the evening on a Saturday Night
At least I am not playing in Florida
Being close to Edmonton is all right

2013 makes me feel fine
6.6 a year, all that's on my mind
2013 makes me feel fine

See the Suttters hiding out behind the bench
Getting motivated is always such a chore
So I dream all about my bill fold
Can't hear the media and crowd uproar

2013 makes me feel fine
2013 makes me feel fine

Sweet days of summer, the tee is real green
September is coming, and skating again
I'd like to score but its too much work
I've got mine, not a care in the world

See the smiles waiting at the draft table
WJC accolades have worn all through
553 games later and no playoffs
Will they compare me to Jokkinen too?

2013 makes me feel fine
2013 makes me feel fine

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:56 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

harmfuljays wrote:
You guys suck....just put those lyrics in the tune of Summer Breeze.

When I first read this thread, there were no lyrics....

But excellent work, my good man. :lol:

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:57 pm 
King of Men

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:04 am 

Ohhhh boy, here we go...

Quote:
Millard:Being told Brayden Schenn is in the AHL as he would part of the package for Iginla.Kings going hard after Flames captain.....

If Lombardi makes that deal he's a fucking idiot.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:23 am 

Av-merican wrote:
Ohhhh boy, here we go...

Quote:
Millard:Being told Brayden Schenn is in the AHL as he would part of the package for Iginla.Kings going hard after Flames captain.....

If Lombardi makes that deal he's a fucking idiot.

Uh, why would that make him an idiot? How good do you think Brayden will be?

Iggy has scored 30 or more goals the last 9 years. He's signed for 2 more years. He's on a shitty team, is frustrated, and is a notoriously slow starter. He's just a year removed from coming off of 3 straight years in the 90 point range.

Acquiring him would take Brayden + another good asset at least.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:25 am 
Big in Japan

Seriously, the Kings have a chance to win it this year. Brayden Schenn won't help them do that on the ice.

Iginla to the Kings might in fact be the greatest of coups if Lombo can pull it off. My guess is Calgary's brass will be too stubborn to see the truth about their own miserable situation.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:58 am 
Old Man of the Post

If Iggy can be re-born as a King then more power to the Kings, but I'm with Av on this. I'm not so sure that there's much left in Iggy's tank.

It does make sense from the re-build perspective; Iggy staying in Calgary won't make them better in the next two years, but Schenn and possibly another prospect, plus the extra cap space, could...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:28 am 

Iggy reborn? He's been below average for all of what, 18 games?

The LA Kings had 1 player with more goals or points than Iggy last year. They could definitely use him.

If Schenn turns out to be like Stephen Weiss or Ryan Whitney as far as fellow 5th overalls go, then we can't possibly think this is an overpay for a proven 30 goal, 70+ point guy for the next two years. Iggy also had 5 goals at the Olympics... he can still score with a good centre. It's not shocking that without Langkow he's off to a bad start.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:21 am 
Old Man of the Post

I'd say Iggy has been on the decline since the beginning of last season...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:26 am 

You're basically gambling that Iggy is simply disinterested and wants out, not that he's hit an early decline. The salary hit is bad enough for this season and the next two, but to give up your best prospect on top of that? I want to believe Iggy's the former and not the latter, but no one can know for sure.

Besides, it feels like you're bailing Sutter out, and I can't stand it when GMs do that. But who knows, just like Sather, Sutter will likely just go right back to the same trough and get himself in even deeper shit.

Smyth - Kopitar - Iginla would be kinda cool to see though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:41 am 

Av-merican wrote:
You're basically gambling that Iggy is simply disinterested and wants out, not that he's hit an early decline. The salary hit is bad enough for this season and the next two, but to give up your best prospect on top of that? I want to believe Iggy's the former and not the latter, but no one can know for sure.

Besides, it feels like you're bailing Sutter out, and I can't stand it when GMs do that. But who knows, just like Sather, Sutter will likely just go right back to the same trough and get himself in even deeper shit.

Smyth - Kopitar - Iginla would be kinda cool to see though.

What does your best prospect matter when you have the core that LA has? This team is loaded on the back end and could use a top forward.

We suddenly believe Iggy hit a decline as of Oct. 2010?

Iginla had 69 points last year and 32 goals. That output is similar to the one he had in 2005-06 (35 goals, 67 points). Remember, he had Olli Jokinen as his centre for most of last year and a gong show around him... the same as this year.

And in LA, it wouldn't be all about Jarome. Can LA really win with Justin Williams as their top winger?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:08 am 

Y'know, still can't make any sense whatsoever of this trade from Calgary's perspective. But whatever.

As for Iggy, sure, if L.A. can fit him in I suppose Schenn would be fair. Probably will take more than that. They wouldn't send Smyth, would they? Man would that be weird for fans of both Alberta teams.

As for Justin Williams, he's actually on quite the tear as of now. Would he be part of the package? If so Calgary should do that deal and do it now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:15 am 
No Longer Croozin'

hmm interesting,You take Jokinen out of the equation and the Phlegms score 7 goals against the defending champs :ms:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:06 am 

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... um=twitter

Matt Stajan demonstrates the Flames' season in a nutshell.