OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Frustration
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:09 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Nice.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:39 pm 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Well they can thank the flippin' Canucks. Two weeks ago, the Sabres came back after being down 3-1 at home and scored two quick goals with 2 minutes left in the third period, then won it in a shootout. Since then, team fates have reversed with the Sabres going 9-1 and Canucks 2-7-1 in their last 10.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:57 pm 

Ten. Straight. Wins.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:51 am 
The Bird is the Word, yet the Word ≥ the Bird

Pokecheque wrote:
Ten. Straight. Wins.
Unreal. Kinda cool to see some new blood in the mix.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:50 am 
King of the One-Liner

Yeah watching them last night they are a good team with likely internal growth to come. Think they hold off Boston and get 3rd in the division and a 1st round match up with my Leafs. They pressure the puck very aggressively which is something I think has become the norm for fast teams and have the skill to convert the turn overs and the speed to cover for the misses when aggressive. Risto is a much better player when he is not chasing the physical game he seemed to be doing the last couple of years.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:20 pm 

Patrik Berglund essentially quit showing up for work, so the Sabres are showing him the door.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2557 ... al-waivers

You know you really, really hate living in Buffalo when you're willing to walk away from over $12 million guaranteed.

Not that Buffalo is necessarily mad about this, this was a horrible contract that St. Louis has been trying to dump for a while now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:17 pm 

Buffalo makes a surprise move, sending D prospect Brendan Guhle and a conditional 1st to Anaheim for D Brandon Montour.

Montour was one of the guys who reportedly made Bob Murray decide Shea Theodore was expendable in the expansion draft. And now he's gone too.

I'm not sure who wins this one. Guhle is a right-handed puckmoving defender who's only 21, there's still some promise there.

Montour, on the other hand, is 24 and is having a pretty rotten season...though pretty much everyone is in Anaheim. Argument here is that he suffered under Carlyle's system and should fare better under Housley.

The 1st rounder is conditional--it's either the one they got from SJ for Kane or the one they got from STL for O'Reilly...not Buffalo's own.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 8:44 am 
Big in Japan

Ralph Krueger named new head coach.

:haha:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:29 pm 
Big in Japan

Skinner rumoured to be getting an 8 year, 9M AAV extendo. Sabres have to be better next season and they've got the pieces.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:18 pm 

Some might say that's a bit of an overpay, but what choice did they really have.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:09 pm 
Big in Japan

This team has 25M under contract after next season. They can make moves.

And of that 25 is Rasmus Ristolainen, who almost certainly is getting dealt this offseason (maybe in a bigger deal for Trouba?) and Okposo, who's not far off from permanent LTIR status.

They're rumoured to be yet another player in the Duchene sweepstakes, which is hilarious because they gave away Ryan O'Reilly a year ago.

Hutton/Ullmark were bad (.905 Save Pct), but I'm not sure there's an obvious improvement out there. If Panarin goes to NYR, maybe it leaves Bobrovsky room to go somewhere other than Florida? Buffalo could be used to drive up the market.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:26 pm 

E.L. wrote:
This team has 25M under contract after next season. They can make moves.

And of that 25 is Rasmus Ristolainen, who almost certainly is getting dealt this offseason (maybe in a bigger deal for Trouba?) and Okposo, who's not far off from permanent LTIR status.

They're rumoured to be yet another player in the Duchene sweepstakes, which is hilarious because they gave away Ryan O'Reilly a year ago.

Hutton/Ullmark were bad (.905 Save Pct), but I'm not sure there's an obvious improvement out there. If Panarin goes to NYR, maybe it leaves Bobrovsky room to go somewhere other than Florida? Buffalo could be used to drive up the market.

I'm guessing both him and Bogosian are going to be LTIR'd for good very soon.

Duchene would be infinitely hilarious, especially because that would then be the third team he couldn't wear his favorite #9.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:13 am 
Big in Japan

Skinner deal official. 9M cap hit for the next 8 years.

As long as he scores 35-40 in the early part of the deal, I think they'll be fine if he flamed out during the back end. Cost of doing business.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:40 pm 

Have fun with that 31st overall pick, Botterill!

Dude's gonna get fired before 2020-2021. And I don't even think he's the root cause of the Sabres' problems. He is a terrible GM though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:43 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
Have fun with that 31st overall pick, Botterill!

Dude's gonna get fired before 2020-2021. And I don't even think he's the root cause of the Sabres' problems. He is a terrible GM though.

Pretty clear the Paligula's have their fingers in everything.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:01 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Pretty clear the Paligula's have their fingers in everything.

Yep, that's the root cause I was referring to. Still, I think even with the obvious lack of autonomy Botterill's botched more than enough that would get him fired anywhere else except maybe Vancouver or Edmonton. The fact he completely bumbled the whole Evander Kane situation and still got a far better return for him as a rental than he did a signed Ryan O'Reilly is damning in and of itself.

Give Joe Sakic credit. He ignored everyone who said it would be a huge distraction in the locker room if he made Matt Duchene report to camp in 2018 (and y'know what...it was) and held firm until the right deal came along. And I don't think the situation with O'Reilly and that bullshit interview was anywhere near as toxic as what went down with Duchene and the Avs. Buffalo panicked and took arguably the worst possible deal. They not only got crap value with the lowest first rounder possible and a busted prospect, they were kind enough to bail Armstrong out of his two worst contracts. They didn't even recoup the value they traded to get O'Reilly in the first place.

Whatever...I feel bad for the fans, but Pegula and Pegula are proof positive that you can spend lavishly and still be bad owners.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:56 pm 
OTP Historian

Heh...that first rounder was a top-4 pick as late as what? December, early January?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:39 pm 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:
Heh...that first rounder was a top-4 pick as late as what? December, early January?

And Ottawa thought their 1st was going to be a late one when they traded for Duchene. The lesson: don't trade your 1st until you know where it's going to be.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:42 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

And Ottawa thought their 1st was going to be a late one when they traded for Duchene. The lesson: don't trade your 1st until you know where it's going to be.

Did anyone on the planet think the Blues' pick would go from 1st to 31st??? Or even 21-31? No way. That turn around is just amazing. I'm not saying Botterill is doing a good job, but nobody could have foreseen that type of change in the pick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:19 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Did anyone on the planet think the Blues' pick would go from 1st to 31st??? Or even 21-31? No way. That turn around is just amazing. I'm not saying Botterill is doing a good job, but nobody could have foreseen that type of change in the pick.

Oh, I get it, there's no way anyone could have guessed the deal would end up being THIS lopsided (I mean, this has to be the worst trade in franchise history now) but even when it happened I was astonished how little Buffalo was asking for in return for an elite-level two-way center. There isn't a single, solitary player like Ryan O'Reilly in the league, maybe not ever before in hockey history. He's not only dominates play, has elite hockey/positional sense, and sports a mean one-timer and can play in all situations, he never, EVER takes penalties. In a re-draft he goes top five, maybe third overall before Duchene. And this was all before he earned Conn Smythe and Stanley Cup honors. It was still a horrible deal at the time, I don't give a shit what he said in an interview after the season. Botterill should have at the very least held out for one of St. Louis's better prospects. Kyrou or Thomas still wouldn't have been nearly enough (maybe Bokk would have made it at least palatable) but to settle for Tage goddamn Thompson, a guy who may not even be a worthwhile grinder at the NHL level, is inexcusable. And I'll say it again, he even did Armstrong the kindness of absorbing not one but TWO bad contracts in order to make the salaries work!!!! How the hell do you settle for a measly first-rounder and first-round bust for all that!?!?

No. No excuses, even if Pegula and Pegula were screaming in his face. And this is not the first time Botterill has botched things. Again, he ain't the main problem, but he's still a bad GM. Say what you will about Mike Harrington, but he argued in a recent column that the Pegulas need to save the Sabres from themselves and bring in a John Davidson-type to run the business end of things, because they're clearly not able to do so. They should just focus on what they do best--aiding corrupt universities who cover up the enablement of child molesters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next