OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Frustration
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:41 am 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Wonder if this is a result of someone talking to Eichel about what he wants to see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 10:05 am 
King of the One-Liner

The problem as far as how this effects Eichel is that this does not seem like a move to achieve immediate success and if they are doing it for immediate success they appear to be doing it wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:32 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Chris18 wrote:
Wonder if this is a result of someone talking to Eichel about what he wants to see.

Seriously doubt Eichel told the Pegulas he wanted the front office gutted. They went from something like 21 staff to 7 in the scouting department. I think Eichel's next communique with the Pegulas will be a trade request.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:21 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

Seriously doubt Eichel told the Pegulas he wanted the front office gutted. They went from something like 21 staff to 7 in the scouting department. I think Eichel's next communique with the Pegulas will be a trade request.

Ha, I didn't mean he'd say to gut the scouts. I meant they asked why he has essentially said he wants out, they asked why, and he MAY have said something about Botterill not drafting well or talent not being developed well. Maybe. He's a legit franchise player and is clearly frustrated. I think they'd make some of these moves to show him they're trying to improve.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 11:10 pm 

Ha ha, they said they mistakenly fired the IT guy and hired him back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:20 pm 

Pokecheque wrote:
Ha ha, they said they mistakenly fired the IT guy and hired him back.

Imagine being so trigger happy that you fire someone by accident. If I was him I'd have demanded a raise when re-hired.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:33 pm 
Big in Japan

Sabres add Eric Staal from Minny, with Marcus Johansson going the other way. Staal will provide some leadership up the middle after Eich. They needed a 2C and Staal is still that for a little while longer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:52 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Sabres add Eric Staal from Minny, with Marcus Johansson going the other way. Staal will provide some leadership up the middle after Eich. They needed a 2C and Staal is still that for a little while longer.

Now they'll announce they traded for the wrong Staal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:46 pm 

If E. Staal has anything left in the tank then this is a good deal for them (and pretty much a full admission that trading ROR for almost literally nothing and rushing Mittelstadt was a really bad idea). I don’t get this from Minnesota’s perspective unless they’re trading Dumba for center help.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:51 pm 
Big in Japan

Pokecheque wrote:
If E. Staal has anything left in the tank then this is a good deal for them (and pretty much a full admission that trading ROR for almost literally nothing and rushing Mittelstadt was a really bad idea). I don’t get this from Minnesota’s perspective unless they’re trading Dumba for center help.

Evason said the Wild see MJ as a centre. But the dude hasn't put up numbers since Washington. Strikes me as an OK 3C or a versatile winger.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:55 am 
OTP Historian

What in the actual fuck is Minny doing?

Staal makes $1.25M LESS than MJ. Eric Staal is the far better player and both are on expiring deals.

Is there something I'm missing outside of an irrational Minny love for MJ? There is absolutely nothing about this from Minny's perspective that makes sense.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:29 am 
Big in Japan

Bosc wrote:

Staal makes $1.25M LESS than MJ. Eric Staal is the far better player and both are on expiring deals.

Is there something I'm missing outside of an irrational Minny love for MJ? There is absolutely nothing about this from Minny's perspective that makes sense.

Maybe Staal wanted out? But if so, why not a winner instead of the hapless Sabres?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:12 pm 
OTP Historian

E.L. wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Maybe Staal wanted out? But if so, why not a winner instead of the hapless Sabres?

Maybe, but that's a fantastic cap hit for him. They should have been able to actually get something versus taking on a more expensive, worse, albeit younger player.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:23 pm 

E.L. wrote:

According to Friedman (I think) when he learned of the trade he was stunned.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:02 pm 

Yep. He didn't know and definitely didn't ask.

Quote:
1. It was a smart move by Buffalo, although Staal, who is building a retirement home in Minnesota, was completely caught by surprise — and disappointed he found out when his phone blew up. (In case anyone was worried he wouldn’t report, I’m told that’s not happening — he’s going to play.) The Sabres were not on his 10-team no-trade list, I think, because he didn’t expect them to be a pursuer. Staal turned down multiple trade ideas in the past two seasons (Boston was one), all from contenders. Buffalo didn’t fit the mold of teams eying him, but he’s exactly what the Sabres need. A No. 2 centre and some support for Jack Eichel, who can’t be thrilled with reports of a $70-million payroll. Buffalo is also investigating upgrading its goalie options.

I don't understand how you couldn't even fucking pick up the phone to tell him before the news became public. I don't care how fast news travels, that' just laziness on the part of Guerin.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:05 pm 
Big in Japan

Dominik Kahun non tendered. Pretty wild, the silly season is truly upon us.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:44 pm 

Why wouldn't you qualify him? Unless they succeed in signing him for cheaper before FA starts, this seems like a big mistake.

Sabres are one of the few teams getting slagged a little for their draft. Went with arguably the purest scorer in Quinn with their first pick. Personally I don't think it was a whiff, I mean, if he's the single best pure scorer how can that be a big miss?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:02 pm 
Big in Japan

Buffalo somehow gets Hall for a year at 8M.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:24 pm 

E.L. wrote:

I mean...why? Is this where he thinks he can pad his stats with Dahlin and Eichel feeding him the puck so he can cash in next season? Just a super-odd decision.

Whatever, Avs inquired but obviously didn't get much traction, so they went another route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:58 am 
King of Men

Pokecheque wrote:
E.L. wrote:

I mean...why? Is this where he thinks he can pad his stats with Dahlin and Eichel feeding him the puck so he can cash in next season? Just a super-odd decision.

Whatever, Avs inquired but obviously didn't get much traction, so they went another route.

I'd second this. Not even sure why he would bother only to do it again next year...not exactly committing to Buffalo

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next