OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: Frustration
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:44 am 
Big in Japan

Both Eichel and Reinhart suggested in their exit interviews that they wouldn't be opposed to moving on.

I can't believe how disastrous things have become in Buffalo. At least the Bills are good!

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:39 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Those Eichel comments are uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugly. Basically he wanted to have surgery on his neck and the Buffalo team doctors decided against it.

Yeah, it's coming to an end this offseason. I'd say to Adams, just get the best package you possibly can, even if it means handing your franchise player to the New York Rangers. Rumors persist that the Kings are going to put together a package and conceivably have the cap room and prospects/young players to make it work, but I don't see them parting ways with Byfield when the kid just effin' got there.

There are more centers on this team than an Quinn-era Leafs roster. At some point they're gonna have to divest themselves of a couple, just didn't necessarily think it'd be Reinhart and Eichel.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:55 pm 
Big in Japan

Curious to see how Reinhart will do in a new city. He's been the model of consistency since entering the league, basically a guaranteed 20+ goals, but for a second overall there's that weight of needing to do more. Bennett immediately hit another level leaving Calgary, and I think Reinhart might have untapped upside too.

He's Arby's eligible this offseason, which makes him a likely trade candidate. Trade him for a younger version of himself (Glass?) and try again.

LA, SJ and LV will be all over Eichel.

I think the Kings can avoid giving up Byfield if they sacrifice Turcotte, Kupari, Anderson-Dolan etc.
Sharks have nothing to give (Merkley and Wiesblatt isn't enough) but you have to think they'll try.
Vegas always gets their man. Pretty much everyone but Stone and Pietrangelo should be considered up for grabs. Glass, Krebs, Hague?
Rangers maybe? Kakko+ is attractive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:32 pm 
Big in Japan

Skinner waives his NMC for the expansion draft, even though he won't be taken and the Sabres don't have anyone better to protect.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:48 pm 
OTP Historian

Skinner and that contract... :shock: :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:59 pm 

I realize Skinner isn't free from all blame but Krueger's handling of the situation was beyond abominable. It's one thing to have an underachieving and overpaid player but to just continually stick him on the 4th line with a couple talentless grinders (yes, Lazar is a talentless grinder) and expect him to...I don't know what exactly he was supposed to do to play out of it...score a bunch with 5-7 minutes of ice time a night!?

This probably ends in a trade with Buggalo retaining, and then the team that gets Skinner will reap the benefits.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:55 pm 
OTP Historian

Pokecheque wrote:
I realize Skinner isn't free from all blame but Krueger's handling of the situation was beyond abominable. It's one thing to have an underachieving and overpaid player but to just continually stick him on the 4th line with a couple talentless grinders (yes, Lazar is a talentless grinder) and expect him to...I don't know what exactly he was supposed to do to play out of it...score a bunch with 5-7 minutes of ice time a night!?

This probably ends in a trade with Buggalo retaining, and then the team that gets Skinner will reap the benefits.

6 years x 9M left! That's insanity!

Tampa bought out Vinny with 7 x 7M after a season line of 39-10-22-32. His buyout cost $32.66M

Buffalo paid a 2nd, 3rd and 6th to acquire him. Buffalo would have to pay far, far more than that in picks and prospects if they want to dump a large chunk of his cap hit.

$37,166,667 cost of buying him out. Buffalo will either live with this for a few more years and then buy him out, or buy him out now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:53 pm 

Bosc wrote:
6 years x 9M left! That's insanity!

Tampa bought out Vinny with 7 x 7M after a season line of 39-10-22-32. His buyout cost $32.66M

Buffalo paid a 2nd, 3rd and 6th to acquire him. Buffalo would have to pay far, far more than that in picks and prospects if they want to dump a large chunk of his cap hit.

$37,166,667 cost of buying him out. Buffalo will either live with this for a few more years and then buy him out, or buy him out now.

They're still paying Ehrhoff and Hodgson, I think they're finally clear of Leino though. They've also steadfastly refused to buy out Okposo despite the fact he's been all but a bust for them, so I don't see them forking over the money to pay Skinner to go elsewhere.

I honestly don't think they'd have to pay anyone an exorbitant amount to take the contract--if they retained half, that's a middle-tier scorer at $4.5 million. That's below market value. If he ends up exceeding expectations then I think that's a bet worth considering, especially when you know the cap will eventually go up.

Again, I think he'd bounce back just fine with the right team. The combination of a shitty team with a shitty coach just brought everyone down. I mean, look at what happened to Taylor friggin' Hall FFS! Skinner is simply too talented to continue at the pace he was at last season. And while the contract is onerous it ain't his fault that Botterill was an insanely bad GM who didn't use a single ounce of leverage at his disposal.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Kevyn Adams gets a great haul for Rasmus Ristolainen and a not-so great one for Sam Reinhart.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:46 am 
OTP Historian

That Risto deal is fucking hilarious. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:53 pm 

FREE EICHEL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:11 am 
OTP Historian

Bosc wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:
It's pretty funny how wrong all of Nucks fans were about Hodgson. Pretty sure my forecast at the time was certain 3rd line center, highly probable 2nd line center and upside of 1st line center 60-70 point guy. :lol:

Still better than the guy that quite a few Nucks fans seemed to want over Hodgson, Kyle Beach :lol:

Hodgson is 15th in total points out of that draft. There are guys that will pass him, and probably defensemen who will be better players but without the point totals, but it's not a egregiously bad pick. He's also out-produced than more than half of the non-goalie players taken #10 overall in raw points already. Might not have met expectations, but not a terrible selection.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/draf ... osition=10

Well it certainly seems that things might have worked out a lot better for both players had the Canucks and Hawks swapped the Beach and Hodgson picks. :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:05 pm 

Attachment:
15F301DA-BE68-461D-BDF1-8F83D8BF200B.jpeg
15F301DA-BE68-461D-BDF1-8F83D8BF200B.jpeg [ 168.66 KiB | Viewed 2737 times ]

:hrm:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:10 pm 
Big in Japan

Ending the season on a relative high note. They found a guy in Tage Thompson. Owen Power is here and they still have Rasmus Dahlin. Tuch and Krebs a good haul for Jack.

They've got enough to starting working towards something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:16 pm 

Hard to believe that one guy can have that detrimental an effect on a team's performance but Ralph Krueger was clearly a complete and total disaster his second go-around in the NHL. Makes me re-think my stance on MacTavish firing him the last time via Skype (that dates that particular event right there) after only one season. Friedman intimated in a recent pod that his systems are very Euro hockey based and simply didn't work in the NHL. There was also an article that suggested the team didn't even bother trying to score at even strength, it was all about preventing scoring chances and then saving any offensive effort for the power play. I always touted Krueger as a guy who should have gotten a second chance given his unique background, but it appears it worked against him.

I don't know if Granato is a great coach, but at least some of his success can just be attributed to the fact that he took his players and...played them. Novel idea. Much more successful than going out of your way to punish Jeff Skinner by playing him on the 4th line for 8 minutes a night alongside Curtis Lazar and then wonder why he wasn't at all productive. Also didn't try to turn Tage Thompson into a meat grinding power forward, dude scored most of his goals sniping it in open ice.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:24 pm 

Couple interesting tidbits:

Sabres formally announce that they will retire Ryan Miller's #30 next season.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo ... -334565664

And speaking of retired goalies...

Kevin Weekes breaks the news that Buffalo is working out a deal with Dallas to acquire the dead contract of Ben Bishop, wonder what that will entail.

https://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/ ... _&ref_url=

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:55 pm 
Big in Japan

They didn't make a big splash, but quietly not a bad day for Buffalo.

Olofsson and Bryson locked up. Subban/Anderson/Comrie fighting it out in goal. Lyubushkin, Priskie, Hinostroza are nice guys on one-year deals.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:50 pm 
Big in Japan

Big money for the big man: 7 years, 7.1M AAV for Tage Thompson.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:08 pm 

Kyle Okposo named captain.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:47 pm 

Wellllll the Buffalo Sabres have those elusive components you need to build a legit contender.

They have a legit superstar, gamebreaking talent at center in Tage Thompson. They have what looks like a legit star 2nd line center in Dylan Cozens. They have a potential superstar defenseman in Owen Power, and at the very least have a potentially elite puckmover in Rasmus Dahlin. A one-two punch at center and top defenseman are IMO the most important components to building an actual winner with Cup aspirations.

Now they just gotta get the goaltending sorted out. Maybe UPL will be that guy, I don't know, he was reasonably good last night against the Avs but also gave up a couple stinkers.

Also, please, for the love of God, move on from Okposo and Girgenssons this offseason. Don't be pinning letters on those guys. We all know the captain should be Alex Tuch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next