OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:09 am 
King of Men

Well I guess we found out where all the Bostonians and New Englanders are moving recently after Colofornia lost its shine. NASHVILLE. I swear it was a home game for the Bruins.....let's go Bruins chants.....wooing........cheering during positive B's plays.

And a dominating 5-0 win over a Preds team that should be trying to get into the playoffs.

Couldn't happen to a better fan base! Enjoy those New Englanders in Nashville!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:56 am 
King of Men

Out loud....I wonder what it would take to bring Torey home? I'd be afraid to make a move like that with how well this roster has been playing together.

Pasta keeps taking steps towards unaffordability with 40 and 41 last night......I'd like to see the turnover numbers this year compared to years past with him. I think that's the big difference in his evolving game. Can he keep the puck on his stick and break a game open singlehandedly? Part of me is still torn on how much is it Pasta's raw talent and how much is it the rest of the team giving him the time and space he needs.

On another note....Jake Debrusk has found his game. Love the way he is taking the puck to the net with authority this year. A big boy using his skills appropriately!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:40 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

B's apparently getting pretty close with a Gavrikov trade, but according to Pagnotta, Sweeeney has to move salary first. Obvious target is Craig Smith but that won't be easy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:49 pm 
King of Men

Yep all that makes sense....moving Smith would make Gavrikov doable.....Torey coming home is just a pipe dream moneywise with Pasta dollars on the horizon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:56 pm 
King of Men

Nice Cup move. B's grab Orlov and Hathaway from the Caps for Craig Smith and picks. The funny money comes from the Wild.

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/brui ... tals-wild/

I like Hathaway's game....I liked it in Calgary and I am sure that will translate well in Boston.

Orlov is a solid 5-6 and can play at a 3-4 when called upon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:52 pm 
Big in Japan

Heck of a deal for Boston. Way better than paying up for Gavrikov.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:26 am 
King of Men

https://www.stanleycupofchowder.com/202 ... esota-wild

Stats on both. Have to note this evolving hockey site.

https://evolving-hockey.com/

Twitter is a stupid place. People complaining about a hit 2 years ago and draft picks? Seriously? This team is full of old balls and experiencing a Cinderella season.....its a run at the cup or nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:36 pm 
King of Men

Bruins score Shane Bowers from the Avs (who never really got going there) for Keith Kinkaid. Win!

There could be way worse teams to take scraps from. AJ Greer has been a win too!

All right time to punt the Nuckers! :laugh:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:20 pm 
King of Men

Yeesh I hope Ethan Bear is ok. He just took a biscuit right in the grill. I do like Ricky!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:10 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:

All right time to punt the Nuckers! :laugh:

Lets hope.............this maybe the first time I've ever hoped for the B's to beat the Nucks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:44 pm 
King of Men

Ulmark scores an ENG!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:59 pm 

Bowers played for the local university, so this move makes sense. They didn't need Kinkaid, and a fresh start might do Bowers some wonders.

That said, I don't think he's really good enough or healthy enough to be an NHLer of any kind. Has speed and decent ability, if he somehow does put it together he's a good bottom sixer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:57 am 
OTP Historian

harmfuljays wrote:
Ulmark scores an ENG!

Love it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:46 pm 
King of Men

What should be an easy game seems to be a tour de force of Ulmark. The shots on goal after two are absolutely ridiculous. 39-9 Calgary. Bruins somehow up 2-1. Vladar was going sieve and relieved by Markstrom at the beginning of 2.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:45 am 

Wow what a crazy-ass game that was.

Zadorov picks a bad time to try and stand a guy up at the blue line on the penalty kill. But that’s Z for ya.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:30 am 
King of Men

Linus Ulmark is having an amazing season.....stopped 54 out of 57 against the Flames last night and the Bruins end up winning a game they had no business winning.

8 in a row for the B's as they close in on 100 points in their 61st game.... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:50 am 

harmfuljays wrote:
Linus Ulmark is having an amazing season.....stopped 54 out of 57 against the Flames last night and the Bruins end up winning a game they had no business winning.

8 in a row for the B's as they close in on 100 points in their 61st game.... :shock:

Ulmark is huge part of this teams success. However the most amazing thing to me about this team is that they have been so good for so long. Over a decade now. There is some luck that their older players have aged far better than most but still I think the B's should be considered the gold standard for club management.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:03 pm 
King of Men

And then you have to turn around and give the Red Wings organization credit. Its been said in the past that they were inspired by this model. Now hopefully they can at least avoid the lastest decade long version of the Wings. Unfortunately that's not typically how it works though. It would be a great bookend to a long successful run so here's hoping!

Its been a long time since my PLEASE SELL THE BRUINS....sticker was applicable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:18 pm 

harmfuljays wrote:
And then you have to turn around and give the Red Wings organization credit. Its been said in the past that they were inspired by this model. Now hopefully they can at least avoid the lastest decade long version of the Wings. Unfortunately that's not typically how it works though. It would be a great bookend to a long successful run so here's hoping!

I have not payed much attention to what the Bruins are doing over the years. It seems to me though where they might be different is they look at trade line to fill smaller holes. They don't do the big splashy trades that consume picks and prospects (futures). Thus they stay in contention every year, as they still have players in the pipeline. Where other teams view their window as being 1-5 years and are willing to sell off for their shot at the cup, and willing to pay the price later in their fall. Such as Chicago, Detroit etc.

You watch them, does my assessment seem close?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:36 pm 

Eeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh I would not call Bruins management a "gold standard" by any means. BUT, they're pretty damned good nowadays after a rough start.

That's not to say he's been a terrible GM, in fact I'd say he's made a lot of great moves. I won't harp on 2015, that's in the past and they still at least snagged a impact player in DeBrusk. They at least came out and admitted in recent years they fucked up and Sweeney was way too new to the job and unprepared at the time.

That said, I really don't understand why they just up and decided to waste an entire year when it was readily clear to anyone with a pulse in that organization that Cassidy was at loggerheads with the players. If they had just fired him a year earlier they would've been able to keep Krejci and DeBrusk would've likely turned in a much better effort since he wouldn't have submitted a trade request. They waited until Bergeron basically threatened retirement before finally swinging the axe.

Boston also lucked out in that they had a core of three players who aged insanely well. And "insanely well" is putting it mildly. Bergeron may go down as the best two-way player of all time, Marchand actually looks like a better player in his thirties than he ever did in his twenties--which is crazy to me because little guys who play physical games usually age as well as a Real Housewife--and of course, Zdeno Chara ended up being the best free agent acquisition of all time in any sport who remained elite well into his 40s. And coming from a guy who thinks the whole spiel about "veteran leadership" is overrated, that guy set down the culture that's still in place today. I read he made certain rookies were welcome in the room from Day One, no hazing, no solo laps, and you weren't even allowed to call them rookies. Bergeron appears to be just as strong a leader too. Also, those players all took ridiculous discounts so that Boston could continually build around them. If they had just fired Cassidy a little sooner I think they would've reaped the benefits about a year earlier, but whatever, what's done is done and they're loaded for (pun intended) bear now.

I will say I thought the deadline acquisitions were a stroke of brilliance. Could not have found two more perfect players to fit the mould, and they really didn't give up that much to make it happen.

East is still gonne be a meat grinder but these guys are obviously the heavy favorites.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next