OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:48 am 
King of Men

A quality win with everyone on deck last night for the B's. Marchand gets the monkey off his back and the B's can chill for the next 2.

No surprise Pasta, Marchand and Bergeron win all the local awards and CMac too.

Its one game and I still don't think they would survive a series with Florida but Carolina might just be what the doctor ordered.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:02 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

I'm just here for the wholesome goalie hugs.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:37 pm 
Big in Japan

Surgery on both hips for Marchand. Six months recovery time so out till the new year, perhaps.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:43 am 
Big in Japan

Krejci might not be done yet: gave a sneaky grin on IG when Pastrnak asked him if he was coming back...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:14 pm 
Big in Japan

McAvoy out 6 months, Grzelcyk out 5 months, Reilly out 3 months.

At this point have a one-year break, snag Bedard and start going for it again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:29 pm 
King of Men

:laughcry: Yeah..I have yet to do the post mortem on this team but it looks like its writing itself for me.

Next year looking like a mail in. Lets hope following the Wings model does not include the 5 plus years of suckery as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:40 pm 
Big in Japan

Bruins rather surprisingly fire HC Bruce Cassidy. Another potential home for Trotz?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:14 pm 

E.L. wrote:
Bruins rather surprisingly fire HC Bruce Cassidy. Another potential home for Trotz?

2nd line center Erik Haula and a shaky (albeit friendly and wholesome) goaltending tandem all season and that's somehow Cassidy's fault!?!? I can't think of anyone else getting more out of this squad than he did, yet somehow he's getting the blame.

Someone on Twitter told me B's fans have been rather sour on Don Sweeney for a while, but it appears they're now beginning to turn on franchise icon Seabass. Gotta admit I don't really see what he's done to really launch this franchise in the right direction--they've largely just ridden on the coattails of the Perfection Line and McAvoy and just hoped for the best.

This feels like a great time to tank it for one year, try and get a hold of Bedard if you can, then reload. About half the roster won't even be there on opening night, and once they come back won't be 100%. Just use the time to rebuild or do a quick retool. Hold onto key players and come back strong in 2023. That said, I wouldn't trust Sweeney, who promptly fell flat on his face in his first draft way back in 2015, to helm it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:08 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

Sounds like the typical "you can fire one coach or trade like 10 players" scenario.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:24 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Sounds like the typical "you can fire one coach or trade like 10 players" scenario.

He obviously had a difference of opinion with Louie Debrusk's kid, but I didn't get the impression he was rubbing any other players the wrong way. But obviously we ain't in the locker room, so...

The strange thing about all this is the timing. Why did the Bruins wait three effin' weeks to shitcan him?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:48 am 

Pokecheque wrote:
Chris18 wrote:

He obviously had a difference of opinion with Louie Debrusk's kid, but I didn't get the impression he was rubbing any other players the wrong way. But obviously we ain't in the locker room, so...

The strange thing about all this is the timing. Why did the Bruins wait three effin' weeks to shitcan him?

Talking among the staff after exit interviews? Or maybe they see other coaches available (Trotz & DeBoer)and like them better?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:23 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
Talking among the staff after exit interviews? Or maybe they see other coaches available (Trotz & DeBoer)and like them better?

Cassidy now says he was told his job was safe in exit interviews. Obviously teams can change their minds whenever the hell they want but it still reeks of indecision and incompetence.

Shouldn't expect much less from the organization that always seems to conveniently leak dirt on departed players not long after they've been released/traded. I'm not naive enough to believe that any NHL team out there operates as a wholesome and virtuous enterprise, but the Bruins have always struck me as a total meathead organization, probably because that's absolutely what I think the Jacobs family is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:30 pm 
Big in Japan

The Fourth Period's David Pagnotta, who isn't particularly trustworthy, suggested Bergeron was inclined to retire if Cassidy stayed and inclined to stay if he left. Kinda makes sense given the timing and previous assurances.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:42 pm 

E.L. wrote:
The Fourth Period's David Pagnotta, who isn't particularly trustworthy, suggested Bergeron was inclined to retire if Cassidy stayed and inclined to stay if he left. Kinda makes sense given the timing and previous assurances.

Well...that would do it.

I still don't thin Don Sweeney is a particularly good GM, but the way he operates has been very interesting. Stays relatively quiet in the offseason, then goes big at the deadline every year. Looks like he's got big decisions to make this summer that he won't be able to put off this time around.

Fluto Shinzawa from the Athletic got quoted by Friedman saying that David Pastrnak is quite upset at the organization for losing both Torey Krug and David Krejci, who were reportedly his closest friends on the team. If the B's end up trading him that'll be huge.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:26 pm 
Big in Japan

Pasta has a year before unrestricted free agency, so now's the time for the B's and him to figure out if a long-term union is in the cards.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:55 am 

But isn't the coach being told their job is safe always considered the kiss of death? Is it common for GMs to tell the coach their job is safe at the end of the season?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:12 pm 

Chris18 wrote:
But isn't the coach being told their job is safe always considered the kiss of death? Is it common for GMs to tell the coach their job is safe at the end of the season?

I'd say the public "vote of confidence" is one thing, telling them behind closed doors is another.

It just seems weird that they'd waffle so publicly and then still wait THREE WEEKS before finally swinging the axe, but tell Butch that he was fine.