OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coyle for Donato, 5th
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:40 am 
Big in Japan

Local for local. Coyle needs a change of scenery, but I don't know what his true upside is. Donato started off hot last season but hasn't made the big club yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:55 am 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Wylde get a conditional pick (it jumps to a 4th if the B's win the first round of the playoffs) which will likely be nothing, and a player who could round out their depth chart in some fashion. But what they REALLY get is some much-needed breathing room under the cap.

Bahnstin gets a guy who I think is a perfect fit. A depth forward with size and the ability to play center or wing who has proven in the past he can score, though he hasn't been lately. Never quite became the player Minny hoped he'd be when they stupidly traded away Brent Burns for him and a broken down Dany Heatley.

Minnesota is officially in sell mode. I think they're hoping for a quick retool, but it's likely gonna be a long and painful rebuild. The EvolvingWild twins are advocating they deal away Staal and Granlund as well. I'm sure they'd deal away Parise/Suter if someone was dumb enough to take either of them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:37 pm 
Big in Japan

I know he's better than Jimmy Hayes, but I am getting those vibes with bringing Coyle back home. Some local guys don't want to play at home. Not sure if Coyle is that guy or not.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:10 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Well that was just a dumb trade by a dumb organization. Hayes was always a pretty marginal player who had a couple fluke scoring runs. Why they would take the one good thing they got out of that awful Seguin trade and fritter it away for a guy they ended up buying out is beyond me.

I still think Don Sweeney is a terrible GM who, like Bob Murray, is buoyed by a good draft/development department, but I think this is a pretty decent deal all things considered. Coyle is no powerhouse but should fill that Riley Nash role just fine. I guess it depends what the expectations are.