OffThePost.org

(Generation III)
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:55 pm 

It actually seemed fair to me but I'm a bit baffled why Calgary would make this move. Seems to me they need to give Monahan, Gaudreau and Bennett 2-3 years to mature before they go for the cup. Hamilton will make them better immediately but not good enough. Might as well have taken their picks and traded them in a couple years

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:02 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Since the Flames have already given up what an offer sheet would take to sign him, you know they'll match any offer if they don't have him signed by July 1. He's a Flames D now.

And the Flames are going to be for real.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:17 pm 
OTP Historian

Fogghorn wrote:
It actually seemed fair to me but I'm a bit baffled why Calgary would make this move. Seems to me they need to give Monahan, Gaudreau and Bennett 2-3 years to mature before they go for the cup. Hamilton will make them better immediately but not good enough. Might as well have taken their picks and traded them in a couple years

Granted they were in the weaker Western division, but they already made the top 8 in the playoffs this past season after they lost their best defenseman and a guy who was probably going to take home the Norris. Teams win Cups with good young players on cheap contracts. Those good young players are not getting any cheaper in 2-3 years. How will Gio be in 2-3 years? Hudler? He's 31. Wideman 32.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:45 pm 
2003-04 Goalie Profiles Coming Soon!

Fogghorn wrote:

Well, yeah, they may need to give those guys 2-3 years but now in 2-3 years they have Dougie Hamilton at 25 years old right there with them when they go for a Cup. They're building up that young core of players, not forcing them to be better.

:steamingpileofcrap:

- Ancient Chinese Proverb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:53 pm 
Finally figured out how to change this!

saskhab wrote:
Fogghorn wrote:

Well, yeah, they may need to give those guys 2-3 years but now in 2-3 years they have Dougie Hamilton at 25 years old right there with them when they go for a Cup. They're building up that young core of players, not forcing them to be better.

He'll also probably help bring in UFAs, who will think they are the final piece. Good move.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:18 pm 
King of Men

Calgary took that shot for Dougie that I wanted. Excellent move. Dougie will mature at the same rate. Hopefully they can keep the spending down when that time comes.

Head scratcher if you are a Bruins fan.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:14 pm 
King of the One-Liner

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p ... 29311.html

Well new GM but looks like the Bruin's are sticking with the trade a young guy then character assassinate him after he is out. That shtick it getting old.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:49 pm 
Un-Tenured Professor of Hockey

Not confirmed but reportedly Chiarelli offered more than what Calgary did, and Boston demanded Nurse in return. If true it sounds to me like Boston just didn't want Chiarelli to have him.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:21 am 
OTP Historian

Av-merican wrote:
Not confirmed but reportedly Chiarelli offered more than what Calgary did, and Boston demanded Nurse in return. If true it sounds to me like Boston just didn't want Chiarelli to have him.

On twitter some were saying it wasn't Nurse but the picks offered were a little better from Edmonton.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:37 am 
OTP Historian

A teammate goes to bat for Hamilton.

http://www.csnne.com/boston-bruins/ex-b ... ns-defense

Quote:
A Bruins player reached out to CSNNE.com early Tuesday after reading an anonymous quote over the weekend that Hamilton “was not well-liked” in the B’s dressing room.

“Dougie is one of the nicest guys I’ve played with!” the player said in a text message to CSNNE.com. “So if anyone says he wasn’t well-liked or anything [like that], it’s not true. I just wanted to set the record straight.”

In the days that followed, the Boston Herald quoted an anonymous NHL assistant GM as saying: “[The trade] was surprising. It’s obvious there’s something going on that we don’t know about. From what I’ve heard behind the scenes, his teammates don’t like him. I heard he’s a loner and sort of an uppity kid, and that his teammates don’t like him and it was unanimous.”

A little context from somebody who's spent plenty of time around Hamilton in the B’s dressing room, and has had differences of opinion with him over the last three years: He wasn’t a charismatic, popular guy like Shawn Thornton or Johnny Boychuk, but he wasn’t disliked by his teammates, either. He wasn’t a bad apple or a divisive influence; he was more of a cerebral, 21-year-old kid finding his niche among an established, veteran group of successful players.

Hamilton probably paid a little too much attention to what was written and said about him, was a little more sensitive than your typical hockey player, and sometimes let the criticism affect him on the ice. None of that is much different from any number of youngsters who, with more and more frequency, populate NHL rosters.

Well, after the next trade by the Bruins we will know who stuck up for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:57 pm 
OTP Historian

Does anyone think that the Bruins would have had a problem getting close to or the same return for Chara as they did for Hamilton? I feel like someone would have paid that price for Chara, and they could have kept the 22-year old instead of the 38-year old in decline.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:06 pm 
King of Men

Bosc wrote:
Does anyone think that the Bruins would have had a problem getting close to or the same return for Chara as they did for Hamilton? I feel like someone would have paid that price for Chara, and they could have kept the 22-year old instead of the 38-year old in decline.

Quite honestly that's the route I expected them to take (offering up Chara keeping Hamilton) but I don't suppose I know what goes on behind closed doors.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:42 pm 

Bosc wrote:

Maybe they couldn't come up with a good enough smear campaign against Chara.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:56 pm 
King of Men

Av-merican wrote:
Bosc wrote:

Maybe they couldn't come up with a good enough smear campaign against Chara.

That's not too far off. Clearly they would have been forced to use the dreaded "rebuilding" phrase.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:59 pm 

There do seem to be some "stealth tank" jobs taking place. Vancouver and Boston seem to be doing just that, whereas Arizona and Toronto are making it pretty obvious.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:09 pm 

Boston ships Reilly Smith to Florida for Jimmy Hayes.

Uh...wasn't Reilly Smith the only really solid asset to come back in the Seguin deal?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:18 pm 
Big in Japan

Av-merican wrote:
Boston ships Reilly Smith to Florida for Jimmy Hayes.

Uh...wasn't Reilly Smith the only really solid asset to come back in the Seguin deal?

The Marc Savard contract went to Florida as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:24 pm 

So essentially the Bruins clear enough cap space in the deal so they can sign Beleskey. I actually like Beleskey as a player, but he's not really much better than Smith. Hayes is better than your average scrub, but Florida definitely got the better player.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:40 am 
King of Men

Av-merican wrote:
So essentially the Bruins clear enough cap space in the deal so they can sign Beleskey. I actually like Beleskey as a player, but he's not really much better than Smith. Hayes is better than your average scrub, but Florida definitely got the better player.

I like Jimmy Hayes and I like Beleskey. Far better than I like Smith who was far too easy to separate from the puck. I think these two will compliment Krejci and Bergeron much better.

While it started with doom and gloom this eases the sting of the offseason shennanigans.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:54 am 
Big in Japan

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/week ... ton-trade/

Rumour of the day: Dougie wanted out because the Bruins wouldn't sign his bro.